TBN: Vanek for Seguin almost happened?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Think Boston takes another kick at the can before the deadline?

Yes. Chiarelli isn't scared to make a big deal and he'll move a young player or two. I could see him packaging Koko + 1st in a deal for Vanek.

i still havent gotten over Regier turning down Sobotka in a straight up deal for Paille, instead preferring to take the picks... because... Tim Kennedy...

I believe the rumor was Marchand, not Sobotka. Even worse.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Vogl doesnt have that rep .....

What do you think the ???? could have been:

Vanek + Giregensons for Seguin + ???

Boston had no 1sts having traded their to Dallas in the Jagr trade.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
Why are you Girgs? If it happened in June, Girgs had never played an NHL game, thus was not fill the "young roster player."

In my mind, with Girgs not the player, I can't think of another player packaged with Vanek that would of bothered me. Vanek is a big fish, the plus wouldn't be a Hodgson, as Seguin wasn't accomplished enough for that haul.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Why are you Girgs? If it happened in June, Girgs had never played an NHL game, thus was not fill the "young roster player."

In my mind, with Girgs not the player, I can't think of another player packaged with Vanek that would of bothered me. Vanek is a big fish, the plus wouldn't be a Hodgson, as Seguin wasn't accomplished enough for that haul.

Grigs looked reasonably NHL-ready at the conclusion of the season, which turned out to be the case.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

if I had to guess, I think that's exactly what it must have been...

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Seguin certainly falls in the offensively talented category that we are lacking however a guy with potential character issues probably wouldn't be the best fit on a team that is looking to get worse before it gets better. It would be interesting to know for certain whom the prospect was to have a serious debate. If the GM and/or coach thought the character issues were blown out of proportion it may be hard to say no to that deal.

ZeroPT*

Im fine with the return we got as is. The + would likely have been very significant and I'd rather keep our assets

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
The rumor over the summer was Boston wanted vanek and foligno.

Done, without a blink of an eye.

Im fine with the return we got as is. The + would likely have been very significant and I'd rather keep our assets

The return will not be getting an elite player, ie is whatever we get for Moulson and I highly, highly doubt we get a top 5 pick from the Isles, the place of elite talent.

Seguin could be elite talent, and would have sped up the rebuild a bit. If it was Foligno, before the 2014 & 2015 drafts, we'd have Seguin as a top two center, with Hodgson and Ennis still on the roster. Say we know we are going to draft Reinhart, Hodgson in a package for E Kane....

Wow, I guess this is a loud reason why Regier is no longer employed. He knew Vanek was not resigning here, could have kept the "what's going to happen to Vanek" talk out of the locker room, no dual captains, another overvaluing his Rochester Core, sit too long on a deal you know has too happen, and potentially bring in a TOP LINE CENTER that the team has need fr years....plus a young one you could build around....

What a ****** bag.....

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Grigs looked reasonably NHL-ready at the conclusion of the season, which turned out to be the case.
Hindsight is 20/20, but if we had a mulligan i would pull the trigger on a vanek + grigorenko trade for Seguin straight up without thinking twice.

The rumor over the summer was Boston wanted vanek and foligno.

Where did you hear/read this? I can't recall a single rumor about a trade with boston. Other than the paille trade, i can't recall a single trade that darcy has made in his own division (i am sure i'll think of a few more as soon as i hit "reply").

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Hindsight is 20/20, but if we had a mulligan i would pull the trigger on a vanek + grigorenko trade for Seguin straight up without thinking twice.

I would have said yes to this trade at last year's draft!

Hindsight is 20/20? Ask me again in 18 months and I might change my mind. By that time I can look back and see what happens to the Islanders 1st round pick, and what we get for Moulson.

Even thinking of it now ("months later"), that is a lot to give up for Seguin. Possibly: a high 1st, 1st, 2nd, a prospect, and Grigorenko.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I would have said yes to this trade at last year's draft!

Hindsight is 20/20? Ask me again in 18 months and I might change my mind. By that time I can look back and see what happens to the Islanders 1st round pick, and what we get for Moulson.

Even thinking of it now ("months later"), that is a lot to give up for Seguin. Possibly: a high 1st, 1st, 2nd, a prospect, and Grigorenko.
Very very true.

I think i would pull the trigger because grigorenko is beginning to scream "bust" based on his attitude alone, but that could also turn around.

ADoubleD

Jul 19, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I understand if people wouldn't have wanted to make the trade depending on what we would've had to throw in on top of Vanek. What I don't get at all is anyone saying that adding Seguin would hurt the tank. It literally hurts my brain trying to figure out how anyone could argue that. Last time I checked Seguin is exactly the type of player we're trying to tank for. Can't add a 22 year old potential #1 center with elite talent because he might prevent us from maybe getting some other guy in the draft. Yep that makes sense.

Also unless there are other issues I haven't heard of besides the drinking/partying I'd say the character issues argument is BS. Seguin's a guy in his early 20's who likes to go out drinking and having fun? Hmmm sounds like me, my friends, and most other guys in their early 20s. Only difference is he's a millionaire famous athlete. Now if it's affecting his on ice play I get the concern, but you can work with him on that. But it's hardly a reason to not trade for him.

Last edited:

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I understand if people wouldn't have wanted to make the trade depending on what we would've had to throw in on top of Vanek. What I don't get at all is anyone saying that adding Seguin would hurt the tank. It literally hurts my brain trying to figure out how anyone could argue that. Last time I checked Seguin is exactly the type of player we're trying to tank for. Oh but he's not Crosby/McDavid so we can't add him.

I'll give you a "yes, but" on that question. Theoretically, we could end up with three top draft picks of Seguin's caliber out of this: our 2014 first, our 2015 first, and NYI's 2015 first.

As opposed to one Seguin. I absolutely agree that the Sabres will be lucky to have each of these guys turn into Seguin, but I think what we're doing is going to work in quantities that will hopefully make a hypothetical Seguin deal look bad by comparison.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I'll give you a "yes, but" on that question. Theoretically, we could end up with three top draft picks of Seguin's caliber out of this: our 2014 first, our 2015 first, and NYI's 2015 first.

As opposed to one Seguin. I absolutely agree that the Sabres will be lucky to have each of these guys turn into Seguin, but I think what we're doing is going to work in quantities that will hopefully make a hypothetical Seguin deal look bad by comparison.

I love how people think it automatically ends in 2015. I think there are a couple more top 5 picks for the Sabres after 2015, but obviously depends on free agency. Will Tim Murray be able to attract free agents better than Regier?

AirBriere48

Oct 22, 2006
I love how people think it automatically ends in 2015. I think there are a couple more top 5 picks for the Sabres after 2015, but obviously depends on free agency. Will Tim Murray be able to attract free agents better than Regier?

No, but Connor McDavid will.

;)

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
No, but Connor McDavid will.

;)

What if we don't get a shot at Connor McDavid, though? I am willing to bet that a lot of teams are going to be willing to lose for a shot at a franchise player like McDavid. I know you need a few top five picks to turn into a legit contender quickly, but we can't put all of our eggs in the McDavid basket...

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
What if we don't get a shot at Connor McDavid, though? I am willing to bet that a lot of teams are going to be willing to lose for a shot at a franchise player like McDavid. I know you need a few top five picks to turn into a legit contender quickly, but we can't put all of our eggs in the McDavid basket...

If they finish in the basement next year, they will be guaranteed one of McDavid & Eichel.

Being bad for another season is worth it.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
If they finish in the basement next year, they will be guaranteed one of McDavid & Eichel.

Being bad for another season is worth it.

Right, it would be great to have McDavid or Eichel, but that can't be the only plan. "hey, guys suck for at least one more year, so we can draft McDavid!" What if the team actually does improve? I know that's not likely to happen, but it is in the realm of possibility that they just might pull up into the middle of the pack or just out of top five.

I am just saying that if we get the chance to trade for a top 2 overall pick, we should really consider going for it and not rely on finishing bottom 2+ years in a row. It's a silly thing to put all hope in.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Right, it would be great to have McDavid or Eichel, but that can't be the only plan. "hey, guys suck for at least one more year, so we can draft McDavid!" What if the team actually does improve? I know that's not likely to happen, but it is in the realm of possibility that they just might pull up into the middle of the pack or just out of top five.

I am just saying that if we get the chance to trade for a top 2 overall pick, we should really consider going for it and not rely on finishing bottom 2+ years in a row. It's a silly thing to put all hope in.

Sure. I'm sure we'll cross that bridge if we come to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad