TSN: Vandermeer Waived (UPD: Clears - Jan 22)

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Nice revisionist history. Ballard was traded for before the team signed Hamhuis, we all knew we needed to upgrade the D, and Mitchell hadn't played since January of that year. At the time, as far as anyone knew, Mitchell was one step away from being in Lindros territory if he got another knock on the head.[/QUOTE]

Truth in what you say here but also have to recognize that the Canuck management could have handled this better.

I think many realized that in picking up Ballard we were picking up a possible bad contract. There is little doubt that Florida saw the move as salary dump. Prior to the acquisition of Hamhuis maybe that was simply a chance we had to take.

However, once we got Hamhuis then the Canucks might well have been looking to move Ballard along. I know, at the time, this was suggested. I know this was a minority opinion but it had some value since it seemed apparent that Ballard would be playing in bottom pairing and his salary was too high for this position on the team.

Moreover, once the season began, it became quickly clear that Ballard was playing no where near up to his salary. At the time, I and others said that there should be serious consideration of dumping Ballard one way or another. I know I got lambasted for suggesting that Ballard should have been waived and moved (like Redden) to the minors. This would have opened up some serious cap space to get the kind of player needed for more success in the playoffs. In addition, given Ballard's injury problems and his play there was little chance he was going to get picked up so he might have remained available for the playoffs. As it turned out, the team stuck with Ballard and the possibly of using his cap space more wisely was lost. And in the playoffs, Ballard was non-existent.

In the end, the team is probably going to have to buy out Ballard and get nothing for him. If they have moved him quickly there is a chance they could have got something for him (maybe a mid round draft). Moreover by getting him out of here early they could have used his cap space.

You are right about the Mitchell situation. That is totally hindsight. But, there were some as early as the acquisition of Hamhuis who were worried about the Ballard situation. And not long into Ballard's first season some of us very much wanted the Canucks to correct the situation. Thus I don't think you can say this is all revisionism and just hindsight.

KidCanuck*

I'd send down Alberts (but we know that won't happen) even though he's probably the slightly better defense than Vandermeer in the hopes somebody will actually claim him (Vandermeer being the far cheaper cap hit). Plus, I'd rather have a guy like Vandermeer take on the useless thugs like Eager than Kassian.

Barker....meh........

Can't send down Alberts. Would still count towards our cap per new CBA.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
I would've waived Barker, I think Vandy brought something to the team we could really use, but hey maybe they'll just get Kassian to fight all the thugs until he breaks a hand. Since we have to keep the useless waste of air that is Cam Barker around.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
re: Ballard's contract...part of the point of having underpaid guys in your top 4 is that you can afford to spend a bit more on your depth. On most teams Ballard is a top 4, and in a different system he's probably more effective.

Ballard's play has come along. He's still got some moments and makes some questionable decisions, but his play has improved with his time in the system. Sure, paid too much for a bottom pairing, but the discounts given by our top 4 guys makes this affordable.

I was a big fan of Ballards in PHX and thought he'd be a great acquisition. Hasn't fit in quite how I thought he would but I'm fine with seeing how he looks this season before making any decisions on his future. I'd rather have him for this season than dump him just to be rid of his contract.

Crows*

Can anyone see any circumstance besides tons of injuries where barker gets in the lineup?

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
What the heck do they see in Barker? He's looked awful even in the scrimmages. Vandermeer is the better choice yet he gets waived? The decisions this team makes sometimes...

Makes me feel bad because he and his wife were so excited to play here.

Crows*

What the heck do they see in Barker? He's looked awful even in the scrimmages. Vandermeer is the better choice yet he gets waived? The decisions this team makes sometimes...

Makes me feel bad because he and his wife were so excited to play here.
He agreed to a 2 way deal. He knows what he is and what he got himself in to.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Can anyone see any circumstance besides tons of injuries where barker gets in the lineup?

I could see Ballard getting sent to the press-box for a game if he keeps making plays like that bad give-away last game. Barker and Alberts will see some ice-time this year, AV isn't going to want them getting rusty.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Truth in what you say here but also have to recognize that the Canuck management could have handled this better.

I think many realized that in picking up Ballard we were picking up a possible bad contract. There is little doubt that Florida saw the move as salary dump. Prior to the acquisition of Hamhuis maybe that was simply a chance we had to take.

However, once we got Hamhuis then the Canucks might well have been looking to move Ballard along. I know, at the time, this was suggested. I know this was a minority opinion but it had some value since it seemed apparent that Ballard would be playing in bottom pairing and his salary was too high for this position on the team.

Moreover, once the season began, it became quickly clear that Ballard was playing no where near up to his salary. At the time, I and others said that there should be serious consideration of dumping Ballard one way or another. I know I got lambasted for suggesting that Ballard should have been waived and moved (like Redden) to the minors. This would have opened up some serious cap space to get the kind of player needed for more success in the playoffs. In addition, given Ballard's injury problems and his play there was little chance he was going to get picked up so he might have remained available for the playoffs. As it turned out, the team stuck with Ballard and the possibly of using his cap space more wisely was lost. And in the playoffs, Ballard was non-existent.

In the end, the team is probably going to have to buy out Ballard and get nothing for him. If they have moved him quickly there is a chance they could have got something for him (maybe a mid round draft). Moreover by getting him out of here early they could have used his cap space.

You are right about the Mitchell situation. That is totally hindsight. But, there were some as early as the acquisition of Hamhuis who were worried about the Ballard situation. And not long into Ballard's first season some of us very much wanted the Canucks to correct the situation. Thus I don't think you can say this is all revisionism and just hindsight.

1) It's not as if we and MG all knew we weren't going to get the Ballard who had originally earned that contract.

2) Yeah, there were rumblings out there that Hamhuis really wanted to play here, but then there are millions of rumors bouncing around at any given time. For all anyone knew, Mitchell was a vegetable, Hamhuis was signing in Philly, Ballard didn't suck, Grabner was edging towards bust territory, and Bernier was...well, Bernier. Sure, some of us balked at the money Ballard was getting, but the scouting reports on him from Florida fans were all really positive from what I remember at the time.

3) Ballard actually might not suck so harshly if he can stay healthy and our coach actually plays him now that Rome's moved on. I admit, he's not worth what we're paying him right now, he's still very high-risk, but he can still be decent.

4) MG doesn't have magical ESP where he can see into the future, nor does he have 29 other NHL GMs banging on his door to take Ballard off our hands. When we got Hamhuis and Ballard, they were both supposed to be known for their durability. Anyone remember that? Look how that turned out. Best laid plans of mice, and all that. Lots of coulda, woulda, shoulda stuff there.

Anway, back on topic.

Good Lord no. I'd rather the entire D from the Wolves were brought up before that.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Can't send down Alberts. Would still count towards our cap per new CBA.

Wasn't talking about cap savings but rather about roster spots; and whatever his faults, Alberts is still a #6 on a bad team. Only one year left on his contract so there's a good chance somebody will claim him.

but the scouting reports on him from Florida fans were all really positive from what I remember at the time.
Forget that.....how about the "scouting report" from his ex-coach - Bowness - who is our coach in charge of the blueline.

Outside99*

Not re-signing Mitchell made no sense to me whatsoever. If every concussed player was written off, most teams would be playing 4th line plugs. Tthose who retire like Savard and Pronger are the exception rather than the rule in my opinion.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Not re-signing Mitchell made no sense to me whatsoever.
Again, when you have Salo - Mr. Glass - as the other guy in the top four; I think you make every effort to get a guy who's actually healthy and will likely stay healthy on your team. Who's to say Mitchell wouldn't have just gotten another injury with us if he re-signed? It would just be consistant with our "luck" with blueliners - even guys with a *proven track record of missing few NHL games in a season* (re: Hamhuis & Ballard).

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Not re-signing Mitchell made no sense to me whatsoever. If every concussed player was written off, most teams would be playing 4th line plugs. Tthose who retire like Savard and Pronger are the exception rather than the rule in my opinion.

Mitchell's concussion was pretty bad. Despite how it turned out, it was the right move at the time.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

The Canucks had a pretty close view of what was going on with him. I'd imagine that it really looked like he wasn't likely to have a strong recovery. It's not like they just saw he was concussed and wrote him off. It was their doctors that were working with him.

Outside99*

Again, when you have Salo - Mr. Glass - as the other guy in the top four; I think you make every effort to get a guy who's actually healthy and will likely stay healthy on your team. Who's to say Mitchell wouldn't have just gotten another injury with us if he re-signed? It would just be consistant with our "luck" with blueliners - even guys with a *proven track record of missing few NHL games in a season* (re: Hamhuis & Ballard).

No guarantees. Who's to say Ballard would work out ($24MM gamble). Who's to stay Luongo will play well for 5 more years only, retires early and leaves us footing the bill? Who's to say Booth will pan out? Who's to say Sturm was going to be a failure?

Everything has risk involved. Its a judgement call. To risk $7MM on a D man who was relied upon first for defensive assignments is on the balance of probabilities, worth it - much more than taking $20MM risks on Ballard and Booth each. don't you think so?

rebel diamond

Sep 2, 2008
Toronto
It was still worth taking the risk.

Was it? If you'd asked people at the time which two players they'd rather have out of Mitchell, Hamhuis, and Ballard I feel the latter two would be overwhelmingly the most popular choices, even accounting for salary. Now, with a couple years of hindsight it's clear that Mitchell has recovered well from his concussion problems while Ballard never really fit into the system here. But Hamhuis is by far the best of the three, and declining to resign Willie helped us get him.

rebel diamond

Sep 2, 2008
Toronto

Yep. They signed him to play, and if one or two dmen go down he'll get his shot in the rotation just like Alberts and Vandermeer, especially if someone we rely on for offense like Edler or Garrison is out. In fact, with the compressed season it seems all but inevitable that all 9 (or even 10 maybe if we call up Joslin or Connauton) of our defenders see game action.

Outside99*

Was it? If you'd asked people at the time which two players they'd rather have out of Mitchell, Hamhuis, and Ballard I feel the latter two would be overwhelmingly the most popular choices, even accounting for salary. Now, with a couple years of hindsight it's clear that Mitchell has recovered well from his concussion problems while Ballard never really fit into the system here. But Hamhuis is by far the best of the three, and declining to resign Willie helped us get him.

Could be, obviously I'm not privy to much of negotiations/going on, one thing that I found interesting in ^ Tony's and MW's comment about the extent of the concussion leads me to believe the team may have relied on this info. too much, a sort of sky is falling mentality at the time may have reigned and therefore, something "had to be" done aka the jumping from the frying pan into the fire analogy where Mitchell's concussion is the fire.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad