TSN: Vandermeer Waived (UPD: Clears - Jan 22)

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Even after fully recovering from his concussion it's not like Mitchell has been the picture of durability. He missed 25 games in 10-11 and is now still out with a knee injury despite not playing in a game for 9 months.

Luckily for the Kings he was able to stay healthy for their cup win, but for an already injury prone defense like the Canucks retaining him would've been a pretty big risk given what was known at the time.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
When Ballard was traded for and Hamhuis was signed, Mitchell was still suffering post-concussion symptoms. How in the world could the team bank on a player in that state?

It wasn't until the middle of August that he was skating again and he wasn't signed until the end of August. At that point, the Canucks didn't have the cap space to sign him without making room otherwise. That would have meant dumping a player at the point in the season when most teams had gone most of the way to setting their rosters and were probably pushing their cap or budget limits. It's just not a realistic expectation.

Also, the fact that when Ballard was traded it was reported that around 10 teams were interested in him and that Mitchell couldn't even meet Ballard's salary on the market suggest that Mitchell was a much bigger risk than Ballard at least based on the collective wisdom of the league.

Outside99*

Hey mods, can we just delete or move the Mitchell discussions (at least mine) from this thread? Doesn't belong here and I don't know why I started it in the first place :shakehead

Edit: though I still think I'm right, wink.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Hey mods, can we just delete or move the Mitchell discussions (at least mine) from this thread? Doesn't belong here and I don't know why I started it in the first place :shakehead

Edit: though I still think I'm right, wink.

It's a thread for Jim Vandermeer... If people want to have a sidebar about Mitchell, I don't think anyone will mind. (If it continues for a while we can move it to the Ex-Canuck thread or a separate new thread.)

Unless there's a huge majority that wants to discuss Vandermeer and what he had for breakfast this morning in Chicago.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Well, no re-entry waivers anymore (glad to see that out of the CBA!), so we may see Vandermeer again this season... would still rather him than Barker in the lineup, even if he isn't an ideal option.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Well, no re-entry waivers anymore (glad to see that out of the CBA!), so we may see Vandermeer again this season... would still rather him than Barker in the lineup, even if he isn't an ideal option.

Assuming they still have that rule about not needing to clear waivers again until you spend 10+ games on the NHL roster we could potentially see him go up and down a few times without hassle.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
so we may see Vandermeer again this season... would still rather him than Barker in the lineup, even if he isn't an ideal option.
Better to have him fight thugs like Eager than Kassian (you always run the risk of injuries in a fight:sarcasm:).

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Assuming they still have that rule about not needing to clear waivers again until you spend 10+ games on the NHL roster we could potentially see him go up and down a few times without hassle.

Yeah, didn't see anything about it in the changes that were mentioned on TSN so I assume it's still there.

Better to have him fight thugs like Eager than Kassian (you always run the risk of injuries in a fight:sarcasm:).

Agreed. Would like Kassian to just go score on him instead next time Eager's on the ice.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Isn't it 28 days OR 10 games. So after a month he'll have to clear waivers again.

It's 30 days, but I believe that only counts when he's on the NHL roster. Here's the language from the 2005 CBA; a waiver eligible player can be loaned to another league if:
(a) Regular Waivers were requested and cleared during the Playing Season Waiver Period; and

(b) the Player has not played in ten (10) or more NHL Games cumulative since Regular Waivers on him were last cleared, and more than thirty (30) days cumulative on an NHL roster have not passed since Regular Waivers on him were last cleared.

So unless I'm mistaken, if he was recalled for 5 games over 10 days, he'd still have another 5 games/20 days on the NHL roster before he became waiver eligible again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad