TSN: Vandermeer Waived (UPD: Clears - Jan 22)

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Sure if you ignore cap hits - it would be a no-brainer. I wouldn't want Rome @ $1.6 million (given the current cap structure of our blueline - he'd be too expensive IMHO).

The difference in cap hit isn't that great, $275K. Alberts is useful when you expect, or want to impose a slower, more physical game, but he is really exposed against any kind of speed. Rome is almost as physical - what he lacks in size he makes up for in aggressiveness - but Rome can actually play every day if need be. He's no Jason Garrison as a skater, but he's mobile enough and has good enough positioning. Yeah, he's a drop off from Ballard / Tanev skillwise, but if someone is injured you can insert Rome without having to totally protect him.

I guess I'll have to be patient and see if the Rick Bowness can revive Cam Barker's career or if it is just a cheap experiment.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
I don't know how I feel about this. We get to see Schroeder in NHL action, but Cam Barker gets that much closer to seeing the ice in the event of an injury. Ugh...

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
The difference in cap hit isn't that great, $275K. Alberts is useful when you expect, or want to impose a slower, more physical game, but he is really exposed against any kind of speed. Rome is almost as physical - what he lacks in size he makes up for in aggressiveness - but Rome can actually play every day if need be.

Well, I had already said in this thread I think Alberts is a luxory item that we can't really afford in this very thread....my comment was directed at spending that kind of money (whether it be $1.6 million or $1.225 million) is too much considering where we are cap-wise.

LolClarkson*

One can hope we ice the following:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Higgins - Schroeder - Burrows
Raymond - Lapierre - Hansen
Volpatti - Malhotra - Weise
Ebbett

It won't happen but... I want it to.

Kassian had a good game like this against Buffalo last year and everyone got high on him. But he disappeared after that.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Why wouldn't you try Raymond with Schroeder again? Makes for a stronger third line, and a potentially more offensive second line (if the chemistry really is there) without sacrificing any defensive ability. Aside from that, it's definitely a lineup I'd test - two strong defensive wingers with Schroeder makes it much more likely to succeed than anything depending on Kassian there (not that he's bad defensively, but two young players on a line aren't likely to be depended on much by AV).

Hadn't thought of the switch to be honest. While I would not be adverse to slotting Raymond on the second line. That does make for a somewhat undersized line and may get pushed around. One positive is or Higgins to mesh with Schroeder, thus the two will easily adjust to a reduced role when Kesler returns. Frankly, whatever keeps Ebbett buried will work for me.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Well, I had already said in this thread I think Alberts is a luxory item that we can't really afford in this very thread....my comment was directed at spending that kind of money (whether it be $1.6 million or $1.225 million) is too much considering where we are cap-wise.

Team doesn't really have cap issues right now, though.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Alberts has played pretty well with Tanev in the past so I don't think he's the guy to move.

This Vandermeer move should have been done last week to avoid the Schroeder move. I will risk losing a fringe NHL guy to help our on-ice team. Might not have done anything Saturday but maybe Schroeder over Ebbett is the difference in us getting a point last night.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Makes it difficult to add somebody (eg., if they happen to be on waivers) to fill a greater need upfront.

True enough, but if Gillis really wanted to do that, he could have turfed Ballard by now. After the first few games, I can't imagine it will be more than another game or two before we see Barker in for Ballard. Just a hunch.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
True enough, but if Gillis really wanted to do that, he could have turfed Ballard by now. After the first few games, I can't imagine it will be more than another game or two before we see Barker in for Ballard. Just a hunch.

The problem is you can't hide contracts in the AHL anymore, some team would actually have to trade for Ballard.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I think he would've if he could (without taking garbage salary back - else it doesn't do anything). Seems like a guy like Connelly (despite his injury issues) would fill a temporary need better than having Ballard for depth on the blueline. Similiar cap hit and Connelly's contract is gone after the season.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Vandy is not an NHL player at this point in his career, at best he's a fringe player, so it's good they sen't him down.

The Optimist

Jun 5, 2009
2754 days of hell
Is he on a 1 way or 2 way deal? I know it doesn't matter as far as waivers go, I'm just curious if the Canucks' players talking to management on his behalf got Vandermeer a nice retirement package :laugh:

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Why wouldn't you try Raymond with Schroeder again? Makes for a stronger third line, and a potentially more offensive second line (if the chemistry really is there) without sacrificing any defensive ability. Aside from that, it's definitely a lineup I'd test - two strong defensive wingers with Schroeder makes it much more likely to succeed than anything depending on Kassian there (not that he's bad defensively, but two young players on a line aren't likely to be depended on much by AV).

A.)
D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Schroeder - Kassian
Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen
Volpatti - Malholtra - Weise

or

B.)
D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Jensen
Burrows - Schroeder - Kassian
Higgins - Lapierre - Raymond
Volpatti - Malholtra - Weise

In version A, you get tried, tested and true SSB with the Raymond/Schroeder chemistry we need for offense and Kassian for size and to give him an offensive role.

If you're worried about the lack of consistency with only Raymond being the veteran on the second line, then version B with Burrows there calms things down and gives Jensen an opportunity to play a more offensive role he's shown at times the potential to live up to.

Stonz

Oct 10, 2006
Burnaby, BC
With Willie Mitchell's bum knee, and the fact they've now lost Matt Greene for the year with a back injury, you have to think the Kings might claim him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad