Post-Game Talk: Vancouver will pick 5th in the 2017 NHL Draft | Pt 2

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Just putting together the pieces from what Botchford and CA have sporadically been mentioning about the Canucks' draft preferences, I get the sense that their ranking is something like this:

1) Hischier

2) Patrick

3) Mittlestadt

4) Liljegren

5) Glass

So basically, as fans, we either really hope Mittlestadt doesn't go at 3 or 4 (someone there will take a d-man, right? Right?!?!) or that Glass surpasses Liljegren in their final internal rankings pre-draft.

This is all assuming no one wants Liljegren @ 5, of course.

I think you nailed Bennings rankings. We can debate Hischier over Patrick all day but it's irrelevant...it's your 3,4 and 5 that I think is correct.

I also have a hard time believing that the top 4 picks won't be all center's

We're drafting Liljegren and I can feel in in my bones.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I think you nailed Bennings rankings. We can debate Hischier over Patrick all day but it's irrelevant...it's your 3,4 and 5 that I think is correct.

I also have a hard time believing that the top 4 picks won't be all center's

We're drafting Liljegren and I can feel in in my bones.

If he takes Lijegreen at 5 thats a firable offense and potentially should be arrested

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
People get dazzled by rush skills, but most offense is from contained possession. So you see MacKinnon stupidly being selected ahead of Barkov and Reinhart ahead of Draisaitl.
If only there were a couple of prominent players in the local market that Benning could have been observing for the last three years who are known for creating offense through sustained possession rather than speedy rushes. Nope, can't think of any.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
So you suggest we draft for need? If Benning thinks Liljegren is BPA at 5 then I think he has to take him. I know his stock has dropped but if his bout with mono was the main factor for his relatively poor season I could see the reasoning in his selection. I am only going by second hand info but my understanding is he had a great playoff.

If the BPA at 5 is a center then by all means you take him. Which I, like you, hope will happen. If not I will still be content with Liljegren. I am nothing more than an armchair scout. Whether I like it or not I have to put my trust in Benning. I like Makar as well but edge to Lilj due to difficulty of the leagues they play in.

I stand behind this in 2 ways, 1 being I won't be upset if we drafted Liljegren with the 5th, and 2 I believe bpa is the best option and always the way to go. I am makar guy myself all the way, but have the trust the scouting here.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Just putting together the pieces from what Botchford and CA have sporadically been mentioning about the Canucks' draft preferences, I get the sense that their ranking is something like this:

1) Hischier

2) Patrick

3) Mittlestadt

4) Liljegren

5) Glass

So basically, as fans, we either really hope Mittlestadt doesn't go at 3 or 4 (someone there will take a d-man, right? Right?!?!) or that Glass surpasses Liljegren in their final internal rankings pre-draft.

This is all assuming no one wants Liljegren @ 5, of course.

I thought I heard Jimbo mention the two top choices, then something like "a couple of playmaking centres," and then a power-play defenseman. That would put the PPD guy at #5 on the list. In other words, at our spot unless one of the teams picking 1-4 goes off the board (Tippett) or picks a D.

Mind you, we kinda had it all figured out last year, then Columbus did their thing, and Jimmy did his thing, and everything changed from how we'd figured it. Could be like that again this year.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Don't get that ranking, botch said Canucks have watched glass a ton

Thats encouraging

Kuzma was on the radio and said hes almost 100% Heiskanen will be gone by 5 which means Glass and/or Vilardi will be open for the choosing at 5. If there both available and Benning picks anyone else Id be annoyed but then again I cant say I know really enough about these prospects and they all seem pretty close that it may end up being the right choice. Im leaning to Glass then Vilardi but Im just Mogilny to Bure I aint no pro :laugh:

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I'm warming up to Cody Glass. He's incredibly smart, very polished skills, wins battles, protects the puck well and makes plays consistently, good 2-way player. Lots of upside considering he seems like a grounded kid who is driven.

Mittelstadt while faster and more skilled probably isn't as strong on the puck and does make lower percentage plays. He was my favorite prospect coming into the year but hasn't developed as much, I wonder if Glass isn't a safer pick with similar upside due to his elite-level hockey sense and good all-round skillset.

Vilardi is very good too but watching him though he's stronger he doesn't seem to be as clever in winning battles with his body and his stick as Glass is, and probably doesn't think the game quite as quickly although he has good vision as well.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
I'm warming up to Cody Glass. He's incredibly smart, very polished skills, wins battles, protects the puck well and makes plays consistently, good 2-way player. Lots of upside considering he seems like a grounded kid who is driven.

Mittelstadt while faster and more skilled probably isn't as strong on the puck and does make lower percentage plays. He was my favorite prospect coming into the year but hasn't developed as much, I wonder if Glass isn't a safer pick with similar upside due to his elite-level hockey sense and good all-round skillset.

Vilardi is very good too but watching him though he's stronger he doesn't seem to be as clever in winning battles with his body and his stick as Glass is, and probably doesn't think the game quite as quickly although he has good vision as well.

:thumbu: Glass is definitely my #1 pick since we won't get a crack at Hischier. If this regime has a chance to draft Glass,Vilardi or Makar at 5 and chooses not to then it's gloves off.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If the Canucks draft Vilardi who here is going to be the one pushing the theory that he was only drafted due to his Italian heritage? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad