Post-Game Talk: Vancouver will pick 5th in the 2017 NHL Draft | Pt 2

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
I think the Canucks will end up with one of Vilardi or Glass and I'd be happy to draft either of them. Assuming Hischier/Patrick go 1/2, I have to think either Dallas or Colorado will take Heiskanen, likely leaving one of the two forwards for the Canucks. Personally I see Mittelstadt as a slight notch below either Glass/Vilardi. If they lose out on both Glass/Vilardi I say take Heiskanen as I think he's the BPA in that spot.

Were you correct I'd be very happy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Disaster.

This year, and last year, really emphasize one point. And it isn't "don't tank". It is how you tank. It is clear, and was clear after last year, that you need to accumulate tons of picks. That is the only way you can tank in this climate. You can't just bank on nailing number 1 or 2 each year and picking exceptional prospects. The Maple Leafs figured this out (and then got lucky on top of it). Instead, the Canucks are struggling to not have a pick deficit.

Last edited:

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
The rules in and of themselves are not bad. The timing is bad for the Canucks though. We need to adjust and accumulate tons of picks. Unfortunately, I have little confidence in this management team's ability to do so.

Its funny when people talk about how unlucky this franchise is. That's definitely true, but recall the lockout year when we drafted 10th overall and Kopitar slid to us. Basically, our management is either unlucky or incompetent, and usually both.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Obviously I'm disappointed but if Col and Dallas will decide to set their defensive holes, Mittlestadt will be available and i'm fine with picking him.

Unlike the Canucks, other teams actually tend to go BPA, so I doubt that happens. The first four picks will likely be centres.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Canucks did whatever they can this time around to tank, even thought it wasn't a tank, since they dressed out best players. Canucks played with honour, did our best and end up with the 2nd best odds into the draft.

I no longer believe any team can "tank" (**** you Edmonton).

No such thing as Colorado retaining the 1st pick, or Vancouver "retaining" the 2nd pick. These are just odds going into the lottery draft. As Colorado had the highest odds, yes, 17% chance or 83% chance you don't win it.

the odds are against every team. The worst place teams, just have the 'best" odds, although is really not much. Sure Colorado had a 17 chance, also a 83% chance its nots not them. And the same for our Vancouver Canucks 12% chance, at each of the top 3 pick, or 88% chance, its someone other then Vancouver.

Next year things will be back to normal, more like 80% chance its not the worst place team, or if Vancouver finishes 2nd last again, 13 Percent odds or 87% not that team.

This draft system has been in place for 2 years now, out of the 6 teams, that had the top 3 best odds, only 1 was able to win it.

So since this stupid system was put in place, only 1 out of 6 was able to retain a top 3 spot. the rest fell.

Now people are suggesting we tank for whoever...... I don't have faith in the lottery system, anymore, expect the worse. Next year I am expecting a similar result.

lets hope, we can draft the right player with our 5th pick.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Tanking again next year won't do a thing for this team. We are not guaranteed a top 3 pick, look at the past 2 lotteries.

Finish like ****, outside the top 3.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Tanking again next year won't do a thing for this team. We are not guaranteed a top 3 pick, look at the past 2 lotteries.

This team doesn't need to tank, we get to the bottom of the standings on our own accord.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site

If anything next year the canucks will finish 4/5 and it will be the year the teams at 2/3 win. You can bookmark this for a year from now. It's just one gut punch after another.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I highly doubt that, at least one of them will go for Heiskanen

At this point it's either or.

It all depends on who those teams feel is the BPA.

Patrick/Nico go 1/2 in whatever order you want.

Now comes Dallas. They have holes everything. Same with Colorado. Depends kind of what they do with their roster. Are they moving Duchene? If so, they then take the best package, whatever it is, so it could be a forward coming back or D. Then they likely choose accordingly.

My only concern about Valardi is his speed. Canucks are a slower team, but that should change once the twins are done.

I'd be happy with Glass or Middlesteadt. Heiskanen, would be a solid pick too as he can play the right side on the blue line. Thinking long term as the team would have Stecher for sure long term. I don't want Gudbranson around long term. Hopefully Tryamkin returns in a year or so.

As for the lottery, it has to make teams not tank on purpose.

But, you also need to weight the lottery better.

In the old system, only the bottom 5 could get the top pick, as the most you could move up was 4 spots. So, the worst team had like a 48% chance of retaining the top pick.

2 options - keep everything the same as the old system, but change it so that whoever wins the lottery gets the top pick. So, worst team has a 25% chance of winning it, but a 75% chance of dropping to #2

Or second option, draw for the top 3 positions, but adjust the lottery percentages. I don't understand how the worst team drops from 24/25% down to 20% in this new lottery? It should be more heavily weighted if you are going to draw 3 spots.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

The way this team is constructed, it's not even considered tanking anymore, they're just plain bad. Personally, I'd love to move Tanev at the draft. He's not going to be in his prime when this team finally does turn the corner, multiple teams will be interested and likely offer up some nice pieces and he doesn't have a NTC. Keep Edler around for "veteran leadership" and because he has a NTC he's apparently unwilling to waive, and move the guy you can for some nice assets.

JA

My only concern about Valardi is his speed. Canucks are a slower team, but that should change once the twins are done.
The greatest allure of drafting Vilardi is that if his speed can be improved, he could no question be considered within that top tier alongside Hischier and Patrick. He is a phenomenal player whose only fault is his lack of speed.

He is one of the youngest players in the entire 2017 NHL Draft. Speed can be improved.

https://www.nhl.com/news/gabriel-vilardi-driven-to-rise-higher-in-nhl-central-scouting-rankings/c-287274820
2017 Draft: Gabriel Vilardi driven to rise higher
Windsor center generating attention in quest to move up NHL Central Scouting rankings
by Mike G. Morreale @mikemorrealeNHL / NHL.com Staff Writer
March 1st, 2017

Windsor coach Rocky Thompson is a big proponent of tracking advanced statistics on his players throughout the Ontario Hockey League season.

When it comes to charting the success of center Gabriel Vilardi, there always seems to be one common denominator.

"The enhanced stats tell us [Vilardi] is the engine on this team because whoever plays with him, their Corsi numbers go straight up and are increased," Thompson said. "Without him, they drop significantly. We've had a ton of injuries this year so it's been a revolving door with our lines but the one common theme has been Vilardi's ability to make the players with him even better."

Vilardi (6-foot-3, 201 pounds), No. 3 on NHL Central Scouting's midterm list of North American skaters eligible for the 2017 NHL Draft, has attracted the attention of every NHL scout the past two seasons.

"He's very composed with the puck, and uses his vision and playmaking ability to influence the game in all three zones," said Matt Ryan of NHL Central Scouting. "He excels below the dots in the offensive zone where he uses he size and reach to dictate the play and generate scoring opportunities."

"The [Central Scouting] ranking pushes me to work even harder; I'm not at the top and I want to get to the top," Vilardi said. "At the same time you have to make sure you go hard enough to stay [No. 3]. The draft is still a long way away but it's good that people recognize your hard work."

"When you watch the NHL players, they bring it every night, they're always working hard," Vilardi said. "I'm a three-zone player. I'm a big player who works hard down low, am good at making plays off the cycle and seeing plays before they happen."

Thompson said Vilardi worked very hard on his skating in the offseason and it is the most improved area of his game.

"He's so well-rounded and smart," Thompson said. "He's extremely coachable; you can make adjustments in-game and change systems and he can adapt to those things because his hockey sense on the ice is very apparent."

Vilardi is a natural center but has alternated between center and left wing this season because of injuries throughout the Windsor lineup.

"He's the most hard-working guy I've ever been around," Windsor goaltender Michael DiPietro said. "All he wants to do is be a hockey player and everything he does is centered around the game. That's something I admire about him."

It makes sense DiPietro would recognize Vilardi's work habits since that's what Vilardi feels sets him apart from other prospects in this draft class.

"I like to work hard; whenever I'm in a 50-50 puck race, I want to win those battles," Vilardi said. "My mindset is, I want to always get better. That's the biggest thing."

Some preseason reports that do a fine job of describing elements of his game:

https://oilersfuture.wordpress.com/2016/09/16/ohl-forwards-2017/
Gabriel Vilardi (C) Windsor Spitfires – DOB: 1999-08-16 – H: 6’2

As of Sept 14th he was ranked 3rd by Hockey Prospect, Future Considerations & Craig Button

Last Word on Sports: He uses his size to shield the puck and maintain possession in the cycle game, and uses his powerful stride to fight through checks and drive the net. Vilardi has a very long reach and excellent puck handling ability. He uses these assets to extend plays and wait for teammates to get open, before hitting them with a pass. Vilardi is constantly moving and getting involved in the play. He is extremely gritty and involved in battles along the boards, and in front of the net. The power forward prospect also has a very good wrist shot.
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhockey-buzzing-the-net/early-look-at-2017-nhl-draft-s-top-10-prospects-162932515.html
Early look at 2017 NHL draft’s top 10 prospects
By Kelly Friesen
28 July, 2016 12:44 PM
Buzzing The Net

3. Gabriel Vilardi, centre, Windsor Spitfires (OHL) – The Kingston, Ont., native appears to be poised for a breakout season in his second year with the Spitfires. He tallied 17 markers and 38 points in 62 games as a rookie while showcasing his top-notch playmaking abilities and slick moves.

Scout’s take: “Our Ontario guys see Vilardi as a dynamic, and often brilliant, offensive attacker. He looks to set up his linemates with timely passes, but isn’t shy to finish off the play when the opportunity presents itself. He’s a toolsy centre who is just scratching the surface of his potential, and we’re curious to see how much of that he taps into this season.”

https://www.nhl.com/news/2017-nhl-draft-early-look/c-281059886
Looking ahead to 2017 NHL Draft
by Mike G. Morreale @MikemorrealeNHL / NHL.com Staff Writer
June 25th, 2016

Vilardi (6-2, 193) had 38 points (17 goals, 21 assists) in 62 games as a rookie for the Spitfires.

"He's a highly skilled center with good size and deceptive skating ability," Ryan said. "He maneuvers extremely well in traffic and is able to create time and space for himself effectively."

Prior to this season, Vilardi was a candidate to potentially challenge Nolan Patrick for the first-overall draft position. He remains behind Patrick only because of some skating concerns. From a hockey IQ and skill perspective, Vilardi belongs in the top tier.
All eyes on Vilardi in season debut
Parker, Jim. The Windsor Star [Windsor, Ont] 07 Oct 2016: B.1.

Gabe Vilardi must resist the urge to try to make up for lost time.

The 17-year-old Vilardi was in the lineup for the Windsor Spitfires on Thursday for the first time this season since suffering a knee injury at Hockey Canada's summer under-18 camp in August.

"I'm ready to go and pretty excited to get going this weekend," Vilardi said.

NHL scouts are also anxious to see the 6-foot-3, 201-pound Vilardi in action, considering he's projected to be a lottery pick in the 2017 NHL Draft.

"I think everyone's excited to see him develop and watch him," said Matt Ryan, who scouts Ontario and the Great Lakes Region for the NHL's Central Scouting Bureau. "There'll be a lot of people excited to see the next step in the evolution of his game."

The second overall pick in the 2015 OHL Draft, Vilardi will still take a game or two to get his rhythm back, and the big worry is he might try to do too much early to try and impress NHL scouts who have not had a chance to see him.

"I just want to go out and play my game," Vilardi said. "Even if I'm not putting up points, I'm doing something else to help the team and scouts can watch for that."

The reality is that with the Spitfires hosting the Memorial Cup in May, scouts are going to have plenty of time to see Vilardi in action. Some already believe he could be the No. 1 pick overall in June.

"We'll see," Vilardi said. "It's a long ways away and there's so many rankings that if you worry about all of them, you'll go crazy. I just have to go out and play my game."

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
On the positive side we're likely to still get a very good player @5th. I fully expect the Canucks to be drafting in the top 5 the next few years so we should eventually end up with some great players.

There isn't a player available in this years draft who can change a Franchise overnight so we were always going to be in for a rough ride regardless.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
The greatest allure of drafting Vilardi is that if his speed can be improved, he could no question be considered within that top tier alongside Hischier and Patrick. He is an excellent player whose only fault is his lack of speed.

He is one of the youngest players in the entire 2017 NHL Draft. Speed can be improved.

https://www.nhl.com/news/gabriel-vilardi-driven-to-rise-higher-in-nhl-central-scouting-rankings/c-287274820

Canucks should have a doctor whose sole purpose is to make sure certain prospects don't have "Hodgsons" syndrome

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Vilardi is tracking to be a winger.

He and Horvat would wreak havoc down low. Speed can always be improved, it's about hockey IQ and production and Vilardi had a solid year in that department. Great size, built for the playoffs.

He's my guy at 5. Mittlestadt won't even be available until he's 22 by the sounds of it.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
On the positive side we're likely to still get a very good player @5th. I fully expect the Canucks to be drafting in the top 5 the next few years so we should eventually end up with some great players.

There isn't a player available in this years draft who can change a Franchise overnight so we were always going to be in for a rough ride regardless.

Unfortunately, this is what tanking now guarantees: a bottom five finish.

Imagine if this had happened to Toronto last year. There would have been riots

nubber

Jan 25, 2007
Blow up the front office.. hire fresh.. let them axe players over 25.. giddy up!

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Disaster.

This year, and last year, really emphasize one point. And it isn't "don't tank". It is how you tank. It is clear, and was clear after last year, that you need to accumulate tons of picks. That is the only way you can tank in this climate. You can't just bank on nailing number 1 or 2 each year and picking exceptional prospects. The Maple Leafs figured this out (and then got lucky on top of it). Instead, the Canucks are struggling to not have a pick deficit.

The Leafs got very lucky as did Edmonton. I wouldn't really follow their paths, Canucks simply won't get a generational forward via the lottery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad