I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
upload_2022-1-30_17-50-9.png

I agree.

overboard

Oct 1, 2020
Vancouver
This team is electric - we just beat the US without our best player. Incredible result.

Still lots of work to be done, but the hardest parts are behind us. And these guys show absolutely no signs of slowing down.

Can't wait for Wednesday.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I LOVE having aggressive backs on balls/goal kicks in the opposing end like the Adekugbe goal. You need to judge the ball right. But a full back at full speed wins almost every time against someone not at full speed and maybe unaware. This is huge at the end of the game just to keep the ball in the opponent's end and to keep them from getting possession. Let alone getting a breakaway and scoring.

Now we just need to finish strong. Even just having a chance at a world cup is something I haven't seen in my lifetime.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
believe there's some implications for draws for the WC. Higher we are, less likely to have to play difficult opponents you would think.
Not really. The top 8 teams globally will be seeded then the rest will be divided into pots based on confederation.

Reactions: Peen

overboard

Oct 1, 2020
Vancouver
Not really. The top 8 teams globally will be seeded then the rest will be divided into pots based on confederation.

I believe it's not based on confederation, per se.

I think all the qualifying teams are split into 4 pots, based on their FIFA rankings at the time: so pot 1 is all the top teams and pot 4 is all the lowest ranked teams.

Each group of 4 in the round robin is then made up of one team from each pot - determined semi-randomly (through a draw); with the added wrinkle that teams from the same confederations don't get put in the same group together.

Thus Canada, for example, couldn't ever meet the US or Mexico until the knock-out stages.

The caveat to this "confederation siblings don't group together" rule is UEFA... because they are a confederation with so many qualifying teams - especially top-quality ones - they do indeed get seeded together in groups.

So, as an example: it's technically possible that all CONCACAF teams could end up in the same pot, if they had similar global FIFA rankings. That's not the case, of course...but it could happen.

I might be a bit off on this, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading that this is how it works.

Reactions: Peen and Lindgren

overboard

Oct 1, 2020
Vancouver
believe there's some implications for draws for the WC. Higher we are, less likely to have to play difficult opponents you would think.

It only matters which pot we end up in.

And what determines the pot is the FIFA ranking, not the place we finish in the octagon. At least, not directly.

We are currently ranked 40th, with that ranking made on Dec 23rd. Beating the US will move us up the rankings some...maybe to 35 or so.

All our remaining matches are against teams below us in the rankings - and the FIFA ranking system is complicated. If we tie any of those teams, it will cause our ranking to slip.

35 might be good enough to get us into pot 3 - which would help. We'd then be grouped with at least one team lower in the FIFA ranking than us.

If we don't make pot 3, we'll be in pot 4 and all the teams in our group will be ranked higher than we will be.

It's pretty complicated - hopefully I explained this clearly enough.

Reactions: Lindgren and Peen

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
It only matters which pot we end up in.

And what determines the pot is the FIFA ranking, not the place we finish in the octagon. At least, not directly.

AH, yeah, It changed for 2018 and assumably this year where the POTs are based on FIFA rankings. Prior to 2018 Pot A was the top 7 ranked teams + host and then the other 3 pots were based on confederation.

As result, Canada will almost certainly be in pot 4 but by keeping on winning in the qualifiers and also having some upsets in other Feds, could maybe get to pot 3.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
AH, yeah, It changed for 2018 and assumably this year where the POTs are based on FIFA rankings. Prior to 2018 Pot A was the top 7 ranked teams + host and then the other 3 pots were based on confederation.

As result, Canada will almost certainly be in pot 4 but by keeping on winning in the qualifiers and also having some upsets in other Feds, could maybe get to pot 3.
Honestly sounds like a big deal and they really should keep the pressure on trying to keep winning these remaining games.

Obviously, qualification will be cool. But if you can get a favorable matchup, the idea of going 1w1d1l and squeaking through on goal differential becomes an actual possibility.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Does Canada have a shot at POT 3?

15 countries already in, all ranked higher than Canada. Lowest ranked in so far is #33 South Korea. Excludes Qatar ranking as they get put in POT 1 as host. Only 1 team (Hungary #39) above Canada is already eliminated and Canada will almost assuredly leap at least them in the next rankings.

UEFA playoffs: 3 will qualify assuming 1 is not North Macedonia, that's 3 more higher seeded teams in but also 8 out.

CONEMBOL is likely to have Peru & Uruguay advance but unlikely to have Chile & Colombia advance (all 4 higher seeds). And then the 5th place team will likely have to play AFC #3A team (Australia or Japan) in the inter-continental playoff. So that there is 3 more teams above eliminated.

CAF has 5 matchups with 5 teams ranked above Canada and 5 below. Any upsets propels Canada higher.

Looking bottom up.
* Ecuador #46 likely are in
* Saudi Arabia #48 likely are in
* OFC winner (NZ is highest at #111) vs likely Panama #63 or CRC #49
* Say 2 upsets in CAF

Canada will still likely be the 6th lowest ranked team to qualify and thus in POT 4.

Reactions: Lindgren

overboard

Oct 1, 2020
Vancouver
Here's one tweet (not sure how reliable this source is, btw) that is taking a stab at predicting how the pots will shake out:

Again, only half the teams have even qualified yet, and FIFA rankings will change.

Sadly, we are most likely to end up in pot 4 - but we might squeak into pot 3.

But no matter how you slice it, the quality of the CMNT belongs in pot 3. Hell, you could even make an argument for pot 2...

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Here's one tweet (not sure how reliable this source is, btw) that is taking a stab at predicting how the pots will shake out:

Again, only half the teams have even qualified yet, and FIFA rankings will change.

Sadly, we are most likely to end up in pot 4 - but we might squeak into pot 3.

But no matter how you slice it, the quality of the CMNT belongs in pot 3. Hell, you could even make an argument for pot 2...

um.....

no, just no.

I'm excited as everyone else but that's just untrue.

Reactions: Peen

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Again, only half the teams have even qualified yet, and FIFA rankings will change
Problem with the rankings is that Yes, Canada can keep winning but a lot of the teams just above them are also still playing to get into the World Cup. Scotland is ranked 38 and still playing and competing to get in just like many of the Africa countries. Will take Canada to remain undefeated and have upsets else quick exits from the remaining eligible teams. is there a chance to squeeze into pot 3, sure but being in pot 4 means Canada qualified which is still awesome!!

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
um.....

no, just no.

I'm excited as everyone else but that's just untrue.

Agreed. No to belonging in pot two at this time.

But, we have to hope for a draw that allows us into a group with one of those pot 3 teams, which is a winnable game. This would be almost as good as being a pot 3 team and getting a pot 4 team.

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Just fun little tidbits to follow for today's games. A draw or win, coupled with CR losing guarantees us top 4. There is also a potential series of events which actually punch our ticket to Qatar. It's not likely, but getting into clinching territory is exciting nonetheless.

TO QUALIFY FOR QATAR 2022, CANADA NEEDS:

• Win at El Salvador
  • Costa Rica loss or draw at Jamaica
  • USA loss vs. Honduras
  • Panama loss at Mexico
9/9 points in this window would be incredible, I was out here content with 4 :laugh: it's also very exciting seeing more casual watchers switch to these Qualifying games and cheer on Canada. I know quite a few people who don't really follow soccer that were absolutely gassed on Sunday. This WC campaign coupled with what the Women's Team did at the Olympics really does have the potential to electrify an already exciting football resurgence here. Time for a beer run for prep

Reactions: Lindgren and Red

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Just fun little tidbits to follow for today's games. A draw or win, coupled with CR losing guarantees us top 4. There is also a potential series of events which actually punch our ticket to Qatar. It's not likely, but getting into clinching territory is exciting nonetheless.

TO QUALIFY FOR QATAR 2022, CANADA NEEDS:

• Win at El Salvador
  • Costa Rica loss or draw at Jamaica
  • USA loss vs. Honduras
  • Panama loss at Mexico
9/9 points in this window would be incredible, I was out here content with 4 :laugh: it's also very exciting seeing more casual watchers switch to these Qualifying games and cheer on Canada. I know quite a few people who don't really follow soccer that were absolutely gassed on Sunday. This WC campaign coupled with what the Women's Team did at the Olympics really does have the potential to electrify an already exciting football resurgence here. Time for a beer run for prep

I'm cheering hard for that USA loss.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

I think the football resurgence arrived in the mid 2010's.

As a kid, I had to temporarily go to Italy to have a chance at developing my soccer talent. It was either stay here and watch your talents waste away just chasing long balls and sent 10 guys to clog up the middle of the field, or go overseas and refine your game to "see the entire pitch." Our manager would throw tantrums and insult my mother (not directly) whenever I would go out of formation in midfield or launch an errant ball up field.

What's happening at the lower levels of Canadian football is nothing short of remarkable nowadays. There's more emphasis on possession and ball control in the junior level. You see U12's utilizing an entire pitch with proper formations. This was almost unheard of back then.

Reactions: Lindgren

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
I think the football resurgence arrived in the mid 2010's.

As a kid, I had to temporarily go to Italy to have a chance at developing my soccer talent. It was either stay here and watch your talents waste away just chasing long balls and sent 10 guys to clog up the middle of the field, or go overseas and refine your game to "see the entire pitch." Our manager would throw tantrums and insult my mother (not directly) whenever I would go out of formation in midfield or launch an errant ball up field.

What's happening at the lower levels of Canadian football is nothing short of remarkable nowadays. There's more emphasis on possession and ball control in the junior level. You see U12's utilizing an entire pitch with proper formations. This was almost unheard of back then.

Really happy you mentioned this. The shift in approach at lower levels is genuinely monumental. Used to be completely non-existent unless you were in a bonafide program, and now the emphasis has done a complete 180 in terms of not only how younger players approach the game, but how soccer programs around the country are approaching finding suitable and knowledgable coaches to put in place. It's very exciting times. And definitely mid 2010's is where things started to pick up in terms of attention given to football, but I feel it's taken off here in the last couple years with our national programs and players getting international recognition.

I haven't been this invested in a series of games since the Canucks in the finals a decade ago. It's honestly hard to explain how excited this makes me. Been an England fan my whole life and I've always tried to follow as much as the Canadian team as I could, so this is a long time coming. Hopefully we're able to all celebrate the payoff soon enough :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad