OT: Vancouver Whitecaps (and general soccer) 2021

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Canada is pretty much going to the World Cup in November!

Really think this team will be able to score this time around.

Reactions: tradervik

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
So amazing to watch Canadian women and men dominating at soccer. I know the men aren’t yet facing the best in the world (though the US and Mexico traditionally are no pushovers), but my goodness this is unprecedented for Canadian football.

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Mexico winning is also massive. Panama now has to win out to have any chance of overtaking us. A point in the next 3 games almost guaranteed us a spot, and a win clinches it. We're on the cusp ladies and gentlemen.

Reactions: Lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This three game qualifying window had to be the most difficult for Canada in their CONCACAF history. First game in the Honduras heat and humidity; then back to Canada for game in frigid Hamilton against the U.S.; then back on the plane to Central America to play El Salvador. All in the span of a week.

To get the full nine points out that backbreaking schedule of travel and games is beyond astonishing. And accomplished while missing some key players. Sometimes you look at those CONCACAF standings and have to rub your eyes to make sure they're true.

But no fluke here.....Canada is the class of CONCACAF World Cup qualifying. It's on to Qatar.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
What happened with crepeau? Seems like the whitecaps were turning a corner last season.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
He insists it wasn't, for what it's worth. I wouldn't be surprised if it was something like wife didn't love living in Vancouver.
Family friend works for the Caps within the organization.

Apparently, LA offered double what he was earning.

Ive also met his wife and wouldn’t be surprised if she wanted the move either.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Family friend works for the Caps within the organization.

Apparently, LA offered double what he was earning.

Ive also met his wife and wouldn’t be surprised if she wanted the move either.
Lots of pretty scary areas in LA nowadays. Makes night-time on East Hastings downtown seem like Mayberry. Course, it's not like they'll be living with the ordinary plebs.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Whitecaps ownership has I think as much financial muscle as the Aquilini's. This isn't the BC Lions ownership.

it not about how rich the owners are, it’s about revenue as the business needs to more or less stand on its own two feet over the long term. I haven’t looked into in any detail but I suspect if money is always an issue it’s because they aren’t generating enough consistent revenue or their costs in some areas are hampering them. This is just idle speculation in a forum tho

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
it not about how rich the owners are, it’s about revenue as the business needs to more or less stand on its own two feet over the long term. I haven’t looked into in any detail but I suspect if money is always an issue it’s because they aren’t generating enough consistent revenue or their costs in some areas are hampering them. This is just idle speculation in a forum tho
Maybe. Seems to me they owners pocketed most of the transfer money from the Davies trade on my recollection. Say what you want about Frankie, being cheap he ain't.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

The Whitecaps FC were financially healthy when they came into the league however their revenue started trending south in the latter 2010's when they just kept doing nothing of significance in the league.

That's the thing. a winning team will reel in ticketholders and TV viewers and bring in more revenue from sponsors. Our franchise model is a huge departure from our Cascadia neighbors where our philosophy seems to involve buying low on players from lesser leagues with the intent of making a quick return in 2-3 years. It's not about long term team building or trying to assemble a team that can win.

It's hilarious because the commissioner pretty much told the owners to spend the Davies money.
Vancouver Whitecaps urged to spend on talent by MLS commish Don Garber | The Province

Eventually they did fork out some dough on Ali Adnan and Cavallini after the comissioner again called them out.

I would try and give them the benefit the doubt but the consortium of owners are cheap and have an awful track record. The whole Crepeau thing is like the Camilo saga. Team MVP performs lights out, privately demands to renegotiate their contract because they are grossly underpaid. Team says "hell no" and paints the whole narrative of the player being a primmadonna when it was the franchise that never wanted to pay them fairly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hit the post

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I worked for a company that dealt with the Whitecaps at an executive level.

One word to describe their business practice? Cheap.

Reactions: Red

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Maybe. Seems to me they owners pocketed most of the transfer money from the Davies trade on my recollection. Say what you want about Frankie, being cheap he ain't.
This. I will never support the team after they pocketed the Davies money and refuse to use it to keep players like Crepeau. I wish they would sell the team. Hell I would take Frankie over this owner and I can't stand the guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad