Vancouver Sports Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Despite my negative feelings about Jim Benning and his ability as a general manager, I appreciate the story about him showing up at the Botchford media night memorial, saying some kind words, and staying for the whole thing.

I have no doubt that Jim was on board with this initiative.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Despite my negative feelings about Jim Benning and his ability as a general manager, I appreciate the story about him showing up at the Botchford media night memorial, saying some kind words, and staying for the whole thing.

I have no doubt that Jim was on board with this initiative.

Tuesday Jim.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
So that I don't get grey boxes when everyone quote-tweets him.
I'm blocked too......but I don't really care. Maybe if he ever goes back to doing goaltending analysis instead of fluffing the org and it's model rebuild as a colour guy.

Reactions: Zanon

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I thought things were bad when TSN 1040 was the House Radio Station for Canuck hockey games. But Sportsnet 650 is probing new depths of spin-doctoring, sycophant apologies and cheerleading for the hockey club. But I guess they know which side of the bread their butter is on.

Gawd I miss Jason Botchford!

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
What's the deal with "conversation'? Quite a conversation there. Is "conversation" a sponsor of shows theses days? Every matter can't be a conversation! Last week I counted Rintoul utter"conversation 12 times in 2.5 minutes. Cybulski said it twice in eight seconds on Thursday.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I thought things were bad when TSN 1040 was the House Radio Station for Canuck hockey games. But Sportsnet 650 is probing new depths of spin-doctoring, sycophant apologies and cheerleading for the hockey club. But I guess they know which side of the bread their butter is on.

Gawd I miss Jason Botchford!

Totally agree. They are the Ministry of Propaganda with Imac the Minister in-charge and it shouldn't even be debated. I can't even follow that station anymore. Absolute trash content.

...and yes, not to disrespect the loss to his family and what it truly means, but Botch is missed dearly by the hockey world.

Reactions: geebaan

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Not sure if it was already mentioned, but Paterson & Drance started a twice a week podcast through the Athletic.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Not sure if it was already mentioned, but Paterson & Drance started a twice a week podcast through the Athletic.

Its also on Apple Podcasts for those interested

TARS

May 3, 2009
Vancouver
What’s the title?

The Nuckscast.

Half of them are free on the various podcasting platforms and the other half are behind the Athletic paywall. It’s really good so far. Drance is very insightful and comfortable with the platform and Harman is going to be a regular guest. He was on the second one and it was cool to hear his experience at his first game as an accredited media member.

They’re gonna be short 30ish minute episodes.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
I heard some of the Dave Pratt podcasts and he had an interesting conversation with Ben "Kuz" Kuzma. Later he had a conversation with Coach Travis Green. The conversation went off into may areas.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

member 290103

I heard some of the Dave Pratt podcasts and he had an interesting conversation with Ben "Kuz" Kuzma. Later he had a conversation with Coach Travis Green. The conversation went off into may areas.

David Pratt needs to go away.

Reactions: MS

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
Wyatt Arndt should do the majority of The Armies. His tone is closest to Botch and he filled in well last year. Drance and whoever else should be the fill-ins.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
What do you think it would take for there to be a media outlet or personality that was legitimately critical and asked the tough questions?

Seems like the vast majority of media will tiptoe around ownership and management because they're afraid of losing access.

What can be done to fix this?

Reactions: mathonwy

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
What do you think it would take for there to be a media outlet or personality that was legitimately critical and asked the tough questions?

Seems like the vast majority of media will tiptoe around ownership and management because they're afraid of losing access.

What can be done to fix this?

I think JPAT does, (that's why he got the can when 1040 had the canucks rights, IMO)
A problem is that people are so trained at deflecting questions and not letting reporters have confrontational follow-up questions.
What fans can do is pay for their news media (eg Athletic) then you have control over the content you want and reporters are not so relient clicks and having a good relationship with the canucks to keep their job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad