Vancouver Sports Media Thread. Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
They have 3 hosts because Bmac was suffering from depression and needed time off and then someone to ease him in.

I'm guessing Bmac is also one of the main managers at the station or at least has something to say in terms of who is kept and who isn't.

Lazy is def the best way to describe the Bmac show. Along with unfunny.

Not sure how "big ry" kept his job either

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
They spent the whole afternoon show talking about the hat thing and it was actually an improvement over their usual ********.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
So in one year we lose Sportsnet Pacific (I mean the real SNP with Don Taylor not the crap broadcasted from Toronto with Osmak and whats his face) and now we have no local programming on TSN 1040 on non game nights. Perfect time for someone to swoop in and fill the void. Right now there is nothing for BC sports fans after 6pm.

you got ten forty still

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
They spent the whole afternoon show talking about the hat thing and it was actually an improvement over their usual ********.

Props for being able to listen to them.

After the 10th segment opened with food I never tuned in again

JumboBo

Oct 16, 2006
It was interesting how Rintoul kept specifying this was the last week for the show in this time slot. I wonder if the decks are going to be shuffled a bit?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
How low can it go?....Sports Radio in VanCity is in a shambles....and TSN 1040 has hit rock bottom....that play-by-play tandem...yikes!....and the daytime hosters can quickly drive you to the liquor cabinet for New Amsterdam Vodka...and no other competition...I guess Vancouver just isn't a sports-talk kind of town.

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
There's never been a bigger gap for someone to come fill with BC/Canucks related sports programming in the evenings. Can someone even go start their own station or does Rogers & Bell already own every form of communication at this point?
Nope Rogers and Bell own everything.

How low can it go?....Sports Radio in VanCity is in a shambles....and TSN 1040 has hit rock bottom....that play-by-play tandem...yikes!....and the daytime hosters can quickly drive you to the liquor cabinet for New Amsterdam Vodka...and no other competition...I guess Vancouver just isn't a sports-talk kind of town.
"Vancouver, this is your town. Take care of it...

...by drinking vodka."

I guess it's an upgrade on that "oxygenated water" nonsense they were pushing forever.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
It was interesting how Rintoul kept specifying this was the last week for the show in this time slot. I wonder if the decks are going to be shuffled a bit?

They just are ceasing to have local content after 6pm on the station. Once the afternoon show ends it's going to things like fox sports or basketball shows etc.

Scotty will probably fill in where Jeff Paterson would have during the season doing the pre and post game shows, and filling in when needed.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
They just are ceasing to have local content after 6pm on the station. Once the afternoon show ends it's going to things like fox sports or basketball shows etc.

Scotty will probably fill in where Jeff Paterson would have during the season doing the pre and post game shows, and filling in when needed.

Maybe Dan Russell can bring back his Canuck hating show at 9pm nightly.

TARS

May 3, 2009
Vancouver
"Vancouver, this is your town. Take care of it...

...by drinking vodka."

I haven't listened to 1040 in quite a while. Is this actually how the ad goes?

Vancouver doesn't really have the best track record for taking care of the city when copious amounts of alcohol are consumed. Seems like a bad choice.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Michael Buble was on yesterday. Seems like a pretty knowledgeable/likeabkle guy tbh

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
I was a guy who used to listen to 1040 8 hours a day for 10+ years but I just can't do it anymore, no word of a lie I haven't listened since about the middle of last hockey season.

The morning show is....:help:..... I can't even listen anymore. Honest to god listening to Bro Jake talking sports is equivalent to my wife trying to talk sports. To be honest it makes me adore Pratt it's so bad, and that's saying something.

The afternoon show has absolutely zero passion, insight, or breaking insider news when it comes to the Canucks. Sure they go through the motions, talk about the Canucks etc but it's so disengaged and forced what's the point? The only time they get excited or show any passion is when they're talking about birthdays (who gives a *****) or celebrities (who gives a *****).

I'm also bothered by their spot ads they do. Like they're not bad enough for the listener, Bmac and Donny have that stupid thing where they're tickling each other during their ads, forcing fake laughs out, pretending they're laughing at each other like school kids telling fart jokes. It's brutal to hear them botch these ads companies paid GOOD MONEY for with their fake lauging. It's just brutal.

the only 2 personalities I care for are Ward and Rintoul.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Is tonight Rintoul's last 6-10pm show? I thought I heard it was tonight but I'm not 100% sure.

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
The afternoon show has absolutely zero passion, insight, or breaking insider news when it comes to the Canucks. Sure they go through the motions, talk about the Canucks etc but it's so disengaged and forced what's the point? The only time they get excited or show any passion is when they're talking about birthdays (who gives a *****) or celebrities (who gives a *****).

I'm also bothered by their spot ads they do. Like they're not bad enough for the listener, Bmac and Donny have that stupid thing where they're tickling each other during their ads, forcing fake laughs out, pretending they're laughing at each other like school kids telling fart jokes. It's brutal to hear them botch these ads companies paid GOOD MONEY for with their fake lauging. It's just brutal.
It's insufferable. I don't know why I keep listening. The sad thing about seeing the younger, up-and-coming broadcasters let go is how the afternoon guys put in no effort and treat it like a joke. I don't think they realize how it sounds on the air when they're constantly going into laughing fits and interrupting each other with inside jokes.

And I don't think it's unique to this market, but I can't remember the last time any news got broken on the radio.

Is tonight Rintoul's last 6-10pm show? I thought I heard it was tonight but I'm not 100% sure.
Sounds like it, based on his tweets. Hopefully they shuffle the lineup after this season and get him back in the mix.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
I never thought that TEAM 1040 could go back to the "Pre-Canucks" era, rerun the daytime show at night :(

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Tony Gal went off on Mac on the pre-game show.

Mac called Edler a bad contract :facepalm:

Tony G has actually been pretty god damn reasonable lately it's surprising.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Tony Gal went off on Mac on the pre-game show.

Mac called Edler a bad contract :facepalm:

Tony G has actually been pretty god damn reasonable lately it's surprising.

Makes a botch tweet make more sense, pointing out how good Edler has been, top 20 in D stats I believe he said.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
But is Edler watching lots of video? Because if not he's clearly not very good.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I just went back and listened to the TonyG rant. I wish he laid more into them. He really spoke the truth, and even the Higgins Contract isn't a bad one, especially not when compared to Dorsett or Prust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad