Vancouver Sports Media Thread. Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I freaking adore Kate Beirness, lol.

Don't know if the other TSN radio stations received cuts like we did but I wouldn't be surprised if this is TSN's way to move to the model ESPN and Fox have with minimal local content and the rest national. But with all the cuts they just made, I can't see them paying for a new coast to coast evening show.

I know that tsn radio in Montreal also has made some changes.

I hate listening to syndicated radio especially from the US. I generally find the hosts down there to be loud, obnoxious, and over the top.

I'll have to adjust the dial if I happen to be driving after 6pm.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Kara Wagland on TSN on weekends is smoking...

On weekdays, Natasha on eye catching.

Not a fan of Kara, looks wise.

Natasha is probably the most attractive of the three but Kara and Kate seem to have cool personalities.

Kate was cute but she did something weird to herself. Lost too much weight, started wearing more makeup and more revealing clothing lol. Now she just looks weird.

JumboBo

Oct 16, 2006
I'm quite disappointed with TSN 1040. The morning show is barely tolerable. At least they have decent guests once in a while, but Jake is like listening to your friend who knows nothing about hockey try to talk about the game. Add to all this nonsense having John Abbott butcher the Play by Play. It's pretty much intolerable how bad he is. It's hard to follow whats going on and you can tell DT is trying to fill the enormous gaps in the PbP by trying to explain what actually happened. Maybe we were just spoiled by having the cast of legends do Canucks broadcast up until now, but I can't help but wonder who at Bell in Ontario called in a favour for his buddy's son to get him a job.

Last edited:

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I'm slightly surprised nobody has mentioned Jackie Redmond in this conversation. She's the hottest by a long shot imo
She's so ****ing annoying anytime she talks it's unbearable, the exact opposite of Kate and andi.

Last edited:

YeahHeDid

Mar 26, 2011
Late to the conversation but there was a couple items from the part 2 thread and now this one I wanted to touch on.

1: No it was not Jeff Paterson that took time off for depression, that was BMac.

2: Paterson lost his job for the simple reason of cost cutting. He'd been at the station for 9 years, and it was mostly long term employees across Canada that got the pink slip. Yes there are a lot of awful people on the air at 1040, but they saw JPat as expendable because he was a fill in guy and beat reporter when the team was in town.
I'd come around on the guy over the years. Radio voice affectation he did had diminished. The last real annoyance I had was how worked up when people would start their call with "how's it going?" It used to make the guy so upset. But this year rather than asking everyone to stop asking that, he just went with it. Although that was pretty much after the fact that layoffs were coming, which probably put him on his best behavior. Which leads me to....

3: *****ing Don Taylor. The guy right up to the week of the layoffs was still saying stuff like "Love the east coast games because then we get to go home early" and "Love sick days" The guy is as lazy as it gets. He talks sports for a living and goes out of his way to talk about the opportunities when he doesn't have to be at work. He'd obviously rather talk about anything BUT sports, like his lame DTMZ segment, or Celeb birthdays. You can hear it in his voice that it's when he's most engaged in his show...when he doesn't have to talk about sports. And even when he does he'd much rather talk about sports from pre-1995. It;s pretty crap that it takes 3 people to host that show (poorly) and they had to let go of truly engaged talent like JPat.

4: The Morning show can piss off. I've listened to maybe 10 minutes of it live, and I only catch the podcasts to hear Botchford.

5: Having ESPN after 6pm makes evening sports radio in the city irrelevant. I like other sports besides hockey sure, but I don't want to listen to programming that ignores the NHL and when they do mention it, they show their ignorance.
I don't get why TSN doesn't have a national show of their own, that all ~8 stations could broadcast, covering Canadian sports. 2 people (producer and host) couldn't cost much more than the annual rights to an evening ESPN show??

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
Late to the conversation but there was a couple items from the part 2 thread and now this one I wanted to touch on.

1: No it was not Jeff Paterson that took time off for depression, that was BMac.

2: Paterson lost his job for the simple reason of cost cutting. He'd been at the station for 9 years, and it was mostly long term employees across Canada that got the pink slip. Yes there are a lot of awful people on the air at 1040, but they saw JPat as expendable because he was a fill in guy and beat reporter when the team was in town.
I'd come around on the guy over the years. Radio voice affectation he did had diminished. The last real annoyance I had was how worked up when people would start their call with "how's it going?" It used to make the guy so upset. But this year rather than asking everyone to stop asking that, he just went with it. Although that was pretty much after the fact that layoffs were coming, which probably put him on his best behavior. Which leads me to....

3: *****ing Don Taylor. The guy right up to the week of the layoffs was still saying stuff like "Love the east coast games because then we get to go home early" and "Love sick days" The guy is as lazy as it gets. He talks sports for a living and goes out of his way to talk about the opportunities when he doesn't have to be at work. He'd obviously rather talk about anything BUT sports, like his lame DTMZ segment, or Celeb birthdays. You can hear it in his voice that it's when he's most engaged in his show...when he doesn't have to talk about sports. And even when he does he'd much rather talk about sports from pre-1995. It;s pretty crap that it takes 3 people to host that show (poorly) and they had to let go of truly engaged talent like JPat.

4: The Morning show can piss off. I've listened to maybe 10 minutes of it live, and I only catch the podcasts to hear Botchford.

5: Having ESPN after 6pm makes evening sports radio in the city irrelevant. I like other sports besides hockey sure, but I don't want to listen to programming that ignores the NHL and when they do mention it, they show their ignorance.
I don't get why TSN doesn't have a national show of their own, that all ~8 stations could broadcast, covering Canadian sports. 2 people (producer and host) couldn't cost much more than the annual rights to an evening ESPN show??

Excellent post. Totally agree on Don Taylor. The afternoon show is ridiculous. It's full of non-sports subject matter and at least 50% of it is Don and BMac hacking on BigRy (so lame) and Don laughing his way though ad spots. Seriously. It's funny when he can't do it once, but when every ad spot consists of Don snorting out his milk though his nose it gets aggravating. I don't even listen to that show anymore.

That's interesting about JPat. I did not know he freaked out when people asked "how it is going." That's funny. I remember when Jpat worked for Dan Russell, I once emailed the show to ask why they called it Canada's longest running sports talk show, when it had clearly been off the air many times. He replied and told me he agreed and that Dan should stop calling it that. I thought that was good. He left that show shortly after that.

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
Ok, after some research, i finally got her name.

Tessa Bonhomme is the cutest and Natasha is the hottest. :naughty:

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Caught the start of Scotty's show tonight. Thursday night will the be the last episode. He said the plan is to have more live events, in addition to Canucks games, broadcast in his time slot. I'm assuming the Giants will be a part of that, and since TSN doesn't have NHL rights, probably a lot of NBA and college hoops games.

So, puke.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
I think bc just has a polarized sports community.

Youre either as smart or smarter than bob mckenzie at analyzing ur team or u need bro jake to hold ur hand.

Either way its why most of us are here and wouldnt dream of calling into rintoul's old show

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
So in one year we lose Sportsnet Pacific (I mean the real SNP with Don Taylor not the crap broadcasted from Toronto with Osmak and whats his face) and now we have no local programming on TSN 1040 on non game nights. Perfect time for someone to swoop in and fill the void. Right now there is nothing for BC sports fans after 6pm.
Though I'm not positive this is the case, if Vancouver is the only major Canadian city without local sports radio programming at night, I could imagine Sportsnet seeing a void and starting a station like the one they have in Calgary. Obviously Bell is not overly committed to this market given the recent cuts.

I came around on Paterson and think we the listeners are worse off with him dismissed, but his "how's it going/how are you?" caller rants were ridiculous. How many people have to sound ask/answer that question every five minutes in their jobs?

And I can't think of a better adjective to describe the afternoon/drive-time show than "lazy." Today they replayed a Thatcher Demko interview they conducted about two hours prior (many stations will highlight clips from earlier interviews and discuss them, but 1040 has an annoying habit of replaying earlier interviews in their entirety instead of doing live radio). All they do is talk about food and whine about Toronto and Twitter. I don't wish that anyone be fired, but I don't understand how the station can decide it can't afford a Canucks beat reporter but can afford three people hosting one show, especially when none of them bring anything enlightening or interesting.

Caught the start of Scotty's show tonight. Thursday night will the be the last episode. He said the plan is to have more live events, in addition to Canucks games, broadcast in his time slot. I'm assuming the Giants will be a part of that, and since TSN doesn't have NHL rights, probably a lot of NBA and college hoops games.

So, puke.
That sucks. I think Botchford said on Twitter it would be some "national" TSN show out of Toronto, which would probably be all Blue Jays/Raptors, but even that would be preferable to live American events.

Is TSN at any kind of odds with CBS? Simulcasting Scott Ferrall's night show would be sweet.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
There's never been a bigger gap for someone to come fill with BC/Canucks related sports programming in the evenings. Can someone even go start their own station or does Rogers & Bell already own every form of communication at this point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad