Proposal: Vancouver-New Jersey

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I'm happy with either a first (or equivilant value) or a large dump (not Baertschi). I'd prefer the cap dump to be honest.

And this is the type of deal that as a Devils fan, I'd be looking at. I wouldn't take a cap dump that extends past a year, so at that point we are probably looking at Sutter, but yes, I think a deal like that would make sense for both sides.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
And this is the type of deal that as a Devils fan, I'd be looking at. I wouldn't take a cap dump that extends past a year, so at that point we are probably looking at Sutter, but yes, I think a deal like that would make sense for both sides.

Sutter alone isn't enough of an anchor for Virtanen by himself. Nor is Sutter completely dead cap, as he does contribute to a teams defense and even secondary (tertiary?) scoring.

I am not the only one thinking this way, a Buffalo fan has offered Mittlestadt for Sutter+Virtanen.

Virtanen and a small plus with Eriksson for future considerations would be acceptable on our end. Eriksson's 2.5 million dollar salary/6 million dollar cap hit stretches into a second year though.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
New trade, We secretly trade the hughes brothers back and forth without anyone knowing. Or perhaps we just get them to stand on each others shoulders and create Hughes Prime.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
New trade, We secretly trade the hughes brothers back and forth without anyone knowing. Or perhaps we just get them to stand on each others shoulders and create Hughes Prime.

The first proposal does nothing but hurt Vancouver (we're set at center, and even forward in genenral, and need the elder Hughes' due to his skill on the backend).

I like this second idea though. We'd need a proof of concept before we put offers in.

Bear in mind, there is a third Hughes brother coming up for draft in next years (2o21) draft.

Reactions: Xirik

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
Sutter alone isn't enough of an anchor for Virtanen by himself. Nor is Sutter completely dead cap, as he does contribute to a teams defense and even secondary (tertiary?) scoring.

I am not the only one thinking this way, a Buffalo fan has offered Mittlestadt for Sutter+Virtanen.

Virtanen and a small plus with Eriksson for future considerations would be acceptable on our end. Eriksson's 2.5 million dollar salary/6 million dollar cap hit stretches into a second year though.

he doesn’t necessarily have the points to show for it, but Sutter has been one of the better Canuck players in the postseason. Esp early on when the team was jumpy

Reactions: Cogburn

TBF1972

May 19, 2018

Then you should trade with Buffalo. Once the FA dominos start to fall and the cap space gets tighter for everyone, we can discuss again. I even assume this off-season won't be the summit of the cap crunch. So taking two years of Eriksson 6 million cap hit will cost you more, than you like. The small plus for Eriksson and Virtanen for future considterations would be your 2021 first (with PO protection).

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
he doesn’t necessarily have the points to show for it, but Sutter has been one of the better Canuck players in the postseason. Esp early on when the team was jumpy

It's not always just points that make a good playoffs. Sutter's made me want to retract at least some of the stuff I've said about him the last few years.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Then you should trade with Buffalo. Once the FA dominos start to fall and the cap space gets tighter for everyone, we can discuss again. I even assume this off-season won't be the summit of the cap crunch. So taking two years of Eriksson 6 million cap hit will cost you more, than you like. The small plus for Eriksson and Virtanen for future considterations would be your 2021 first (with PO protection).

You're grotesquely under rating Virtanens value if you think Erikssons negative cap hit is a difference of that factor. You're asking for what we consider two first round picks. If that's the cost for New Jersey to do business, then I hope they enjoy themselves watching other teams acquire assets they could have had.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
You're grotesquely under rating Virtanens value if you think Erikssons negative cap hit is a difference of that factor. You're asking for what we consider two first round picks. If that's the cost for New Jersey to do business, then I hope they enjoy themselves watching other teams acquire assets they could have had.
And IMO you grotesquely under rating the negativitiy of Eriksson's contract. I already stated that I don't think that Virtanen is worth a first round pick. Here we can agree to disagree.
Where I really think people underrate the negative value of cap dump contracts, is for contracts running more than one year. Let's take the Seabrook contract (sorry Chicago fans), who runs another 4 years at a cap hit of 6.875m. Dollars paid is less, but for this point it actually doesn't matter. Let's assume there is another Seabrook out there signed to the same amount but only for 1 year. In a cap dump trade his value is a theoretical -1. You can associate to it, whatever you like e.g. a Top10 protected first like in the Marleau trade. If you want to dump now 4 years of the same contract, the equivallent is not 4 times -1, it's more. A lot more.
Here is why? The first year a team can take up with a more or less clear picture of the teams situation. You can quite easily evaluate, if the contract has any negative impact on what you are able to do, during the duration of the contract. For the second year the teams outlook could change. A Marino like pick up for cheap, a breack out year from a young player talented player a la Draisaitl 18/19 or the resurgence of a struggling player. So the second year carries more risk for the team acquiring the cap dump and the risk should be compensated accordingly. Let's add 20%-30% and the value -1.2 to -1.3. Same game for year 3 and 4, where we assign -1.4/-1.6 and -1.6/-1.9 of value to the cap dump. For four years the Seabrook contract accumulates -5.5 (between - 5.2 and -5.8) times the negative value of a year cap dump of the same magnitude.
In my valuations the RFA rights of Virtanen cover the first year of Eriksson. Virtanen comes with no contract and cap hit and my team might struggle to sign him for a contract, which I consider fair. As explained above the second year of Eriksson is more expensive and is covered by the lottery protected first. If you don't like it, try to deal with someone else. But if you return to the negotiation table I know you are on the hook and it will only get more expensive for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad