Proposal: Vancouver-New Jersey

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'd pass too. It is a very poor use of Virtanen and Tryamkin to dump Baertschi. The first round pick is inconsequential to me, we traded it for Miller, and I'm very happy with the return.

Eriksson for Schneider I still like the ring of. We'd add something from our side I'm sure, Benning likes to add a late pick to "make things happen". We'd then proceed to buy Schneider out.

If we're moving Virtanen without a cap dump (more cap then Baertschi anyway), I too would be inquiring about Zacha. We want a piece that can contribute right away, and isn't expensive cap wise. Wood I'd also consider, but I'd like to see he and Virtanen on the same line to be honest.

Tryamkin isn't untouchable, although I still want to see what we have when he returns, but he's not a throw in to us.

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
Virtanen would be perfect for NJD, to be honest. Not at these prices though.

For NJD fans, best comp I got is "righty Miles Wood". Speed, size, straight lines, a few turnovers, can bury the puck. Offer what you would for Miles...and that is probably the market's price here.
A lot of devils fans have soured on Wood TBH. Dude can’t stay out of the box or on his feet

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Virtanen would be perfect for NJD, to be honest. Not at these prices though.

For NJD fans, best comp I got is "righty Miles Wood". Speed, size, straight lines, a few turnovers, can bury the puck. Offer what you would for Miles...and that is probably the market's price here.
Most Devils fans are ready to dump Miles Wood for a bag of pucks because he's dumb as a rock and doesn't play to his size. He is worse than the sum of his parts and has never lived up to the potential his physical skills would suggest.

Reactions: TheGooseIsLoose

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
A lot of devils fans have soured on Wood TBH. Dude can’t stay out of the box or on his feet
Virtanen and Wood would be similar in their tools, I wouldn't say their games are comparable. Wood also has played fewer NHL games than Virtanen but has 318 career PIMs, in roughly 10 extra games Virtanen has 178 PIMs - so not quite as many of those frustrating penalties. But comparison is understandable.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
NJ has very little reason to do this. Virtanen doesn't move the needle enough to move the first, Tryagainakin or whatever isn't valuable at all and there's no need for Sven. Pass.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
$2.2 million is what they'd have to pay Baertschi. Hardly big. Virtanen would score 20 goals and provide some physicality to protect your small forwards. He had some good chemistry with Pettersson at times so might find that with Hughes. Tryamkin is a 6'7 260 lb wildcard that if he comes over season over would play in your top 4 for sure and dish out a ton of big hits. Would likely thrive in the East.
These boards vastly overrate mid-late first round picks, especially in a weak draft.

it's trash for a 1st.

quantity doesn't equal quality.

Reactions: Billdo

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
$2.2 million is what they'd have to pay Baertschi. Hardly big. Virtanen would score 20 goals and provide some physicality to protect your small forwards. He had some good chemistry with Pettersson at times so might find that with Hughes. Tryamkin is a 6'7 260 lb wildcard that if he comes over season over would play in your top 4 for sure and dish out a ton of big hits. Would likely thrive in the East.
These boards vastly overrate mid-late first round picks, especially in a weak draft.
Virtanen hasn't ever scored 20, although he probably would've this year, on better offensive teams. Regardless he's not worth a first overall pick and the fillers don't make it enough to give up a first.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Virtanen hasn't ever scored 20, although he probably would've this year, on better offensive teams. Regardless he's not worth a first overall pick and the fillers don't make it enough to give up a first.

Look where he is in Goals/Points/ and minutes for this years RWers, then get back to me.
Jake trajectory has been a steady climb year over year.........
His stats are more 2nd line, especially if you compare his minutes per game
Remember, he is playing behind Boeser and Toffoli in Vancouver

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Well if you don't know who the players are....that is a problem, if you are going to make comments like that.
Trymakin hasn't played in the NHL for 3 years after fleeing to Russia.

so...I would think most fans wouldn't know who tryagainkin is.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Trymakin hasn't played in the NHL for 3 years after fleeing to Russia.

so...I would think most fans wouldn't know who tryagainkin is.

Really ?........I guess not real fans.......he was anything but marginal
6 ft 8 Inches, 265 lbs.........pretty hard to miss

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
That is the trouble with east and west
We don't see each others players as much
but here in the west, we don't have to stay up all night to do it
So, I can empathize

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Look where he is in Goals/Points/ and minutes for this years RWers, then get back to me.
Jake trajectory has been a steady climb year over year.........
His stats are more 2nd line, especially if you compare his minutes per game
Remember, he is playing behind Boeser and Toffoli in Vancouver
Virtanen isn't worth a first.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Really ?........I guess not real fans.......he was anything but marginal
6 ft 8 Inches, 265 lbs.........pretty hard to miss
Yeah, that's fine but at the end of the day he's still a 3rd round pick from 6 years ago who hasn't played in the NHL in over 3 years so I don't think it's that far fetched to not know who the guy is. It's obvious you're a bit of a homer which is all fine and dandy, but questioning someone else's "fandom" because they don't remember some random pick from 6 years ago is a little much.

Reactions: tgo0

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I think Canucks fans got optimistic after seeing Kapanen go for a 1st. I’d be happy to get our first back but it would take more than Virtanen. What do NJ fans want? Bear in mind it will be like 20 - 25...

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Baertschi is a cap dump and Tryamkin has next to no value.

I'd love to get a Kapanen like return for Jake but adding that cap dump on to him hurts his value not helps it.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I do wonder about a draft busts trade.

Olli Juolevi for Michael McLeod

I don't know how much Hope Nucks fans have for Juolevi though. McLeod can definitely be a 3rd line/4th line center who can outskate everyone, protect the puck, and pass the puck. Just don't ask him to score a goal.
Basically a poor mans travis zajac who can skate faster?

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
To NJ:

Jake Virtanen
Nikita Tryamkin (rights)
Sven Baertschi

To Van:

Vancouver's 1st 2020

Baertschi's a cap dump but could be a mentor for his fellow countryman Nico Hischier for one season.

Would the Canucks do this at the end of next season?

To VAN:
Zacha/Wood (pick one)
Schneider (50% retention)
The rights to Yegor Zaitsev

To NJD:
VAN 2021 1st

That was a rhetorical question, I already know the answer.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Would the Canucks do this at the end of next season?

To VAN:
Zacha/Wood (pick one)
Schneider (50% retention)
The rights to Yegor Zaitsev

To NJD:
VAN 2021 1st

That was a rhetorical question, I already know the answer.
If it was Zacha, and the Canucks had an extra 1st (that was in the 20’s), I would consider it.

Reactions: zar

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I'll do Virtanen and Vancouver's unproctected 2021 1st round pick next year for Vancouver's 2020 1st round pick this year and 2021 2nd round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad