Vancouver Media Thread- V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
So this article is interesting. It's about how Sportsnet 650 got a huge bump in listeners from TSN 1040 going away.

Numbers up: Demise of TSN 1040 leads to ratings bump for Sportsnet 650 | The Province

The part that I find fascinating is this:

It all adds up to mean that the station is now in the middle of the pack in the ratings battle, rather than mostly sitting at or near the bottom of the Lower Mainland’s radio market.

The ratings bump was also seen in an increase in text line engagement, as listeners sent three times as many texts into the station during February 2021, approximately 19,700, as they did in February 2020 (6,900).

I'm curious if the Canucks poor performance over so many years has been a big part of the decline or if it's the continuous move away from radio to television, internet, and podcasts.

Reactions: mossey3535

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This interview was extremely condescending. IMac explaining to the fans that trading for draft picks won't help the team be better next year. This "the fans just aren't being patient" narrative that is absolutely infuriating at this point, and again you know where it comes from.

He also brought up the Motte trade as an example of the fans hating it and why they were wrong. Which fair enough Motte has been useful - but obviously ignores all of the other trade deadlines mishaps.

He did eventually fall into "well I guess they could acquire those picks to use as assets to help make the team better next year". It was as if the idea just came to him. Hopefully he let Benning know this crazy new idea after the interview.

It's just a complete ignorance of the concept of asset management or the concept of building depth.

Of the fact that if you get a 3rd or a 4th for Sutter you can trade that for a different player who fits the team better. Or use it to dump a bad contract. Or just add a decent prospect with value to the system.

Instead, it's idiots who can't see 6 inches in front of their face constantly looking for quick fixes and now now now because they're constantly chasing squirrels trying to selfishly save their jobs. And it makes them total rubes for other organizations flogging junk that they've given up on.

And yeah, it is the most Benning/IMac thing in the world to say 'Look at Motte!' when they have this list of Motte-type acquisitions that didn't work out :

Granlund
Vey
Baertschi
Pedan
Clendening
Larsen
Goldobin
Dahlen
Pouliot

And I'm probably missing a couple more. We've given away over a draft's worth of picks either directly in exchange for reclamation junk or we've taken reclamation junk instead of the picks. And have Tyler Motte to show for it.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
they're constantly chasing squirrels trying to selfishly save their jobs.

Sometimes it's worth chasing the squirrel.

4656359f-b84d-4904-a65c-4973906bb00b.jpg

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
As discussed on the latest vancast with Harman Dayal, if they get a surplus of draft picks in return in a few deals, it doesn't matter that you might only get a 3rd for Brandon Sutter say.

As well you can use those picks for yourself or turn around and use them to a - get out of a bad contract or b - get a player from a team they might lose for nothing in the expansion draft, since we'll likely have protection spots both at defense and forward.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
As discussed on the latest vancast with Harman Dayal, if they get a surplus of draft picks in return in a few deals, it doesn't matter that you might only get a 3rd for Brandon Sutter say.

As well you can use those picks for yourself or turn around and use them to a - get out of a bad contract or b - get a player from a team they might lose for nothing in the expansion draft, since we'll likely have protection spots both at defense and forward.

Yup.

If it's a seller's market at the deadline and a buyer's market in June ahead of the expansion draft, you can probably turn a Sutter/Pearson rental into actually a pretty decent long-term piece here.

But they don't understand this and are not capable of making these sorts of transactions.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Among all the things that Benning says (and Linden said them as well) that irritate me, the one that really gets me is the condescending request, echoed by Imac, for fans to be patient. It's management that has consistently failed to show patience, and fans (many of them, at least) who have consistently complained about that failing.

SamInVan

Dec 5, 2016
VanCity
Among all the things that Benning says (and Linden said them as well) that irritate me, the one that really gets me is the condescending request, echoed by Imac, for fans to be patient. It's management that has consistently failed to show patience, and fans (many of them, at least) who have consistently complained about that failing.

This group is rotten to the core.

In case anyone has forgotten the guy running our team also under paid temp foreign workers to shave a few bucks and cost from his blueberry biz.

Benning has a loosing record with this team....0.494 in 7 years. "turn it around quick" ie....7 years....sorry....9 years later. We have all been bent over by this group and they keep going deeper.

I personally enjoy watching our young talent...but have no illusions we are going to be back to elite status anytime soon.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Back to the topic of Media, who plans on tuning into the Chek TV show with Don and Rick? Can't say it is must see tv for me. Main thing is back in the Sports Page days, there was just 1 host, with 3 others splitting time and doing some local pieces. If this show is co-hosted by Don and Rick, I don't see Don at his age doing local stories like back in the day. And hi-lights are hi-lights which you can get anytime.

As for S&P podcast, I don't tune into them aside from the time I drove home a couple of years ago. So, it's not must listen for me either. They can record their podcast whenever, so doesn't have to be the evening drive home time, but unlikely I will be listening.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Back to the topic of Media, who plans on tuning into the Chek TV show with Don and Rick? Can't say it is must see tv for me. Main thing is back in the Sports Page days, there was just 1 host, with 3 others splitting time and doing some local pieces. If this show is co-hosted by Don and Rick, I don't see Don at his age doing local stories like back in the day. And hi-lights are hi-lights which you can get anytime.

As for S&P podcast, I don't tune into them aside from the time I drove home a couple of years ago. So, it's not must listen for me either. They can record their podcast whenever, so doesn't have to be the evening drive home time, but unlikely I will be listening.
I do. You don't, yet you seem to be the one continually talking about media.

What's your point in all this, you hope they fail because you watch your highlights on tsn.com ? I just ask, because nobody really cares if you'll be listening or watching.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
This group is rotten to the core.

In case anyone has forgotten the guy running our team also under paid temp foreign workers to shave a few bucks and cost from his blueberry biz.

Benning has a loosing record with this team....0.494 in 7 years. "turn it around quick" ie....7 years....sorry....9 years later. We have all been bent over by this group and they keep going deeper.

I personally enjoy watching our young talent...but have no illusions we are going to be back to elite status anytime soon.
Most farms employ temporary foreign workers- what is strange is how cruelly it is reported they personally treat these workers. Poor treatment of workers by billionaires isn’t really shocking, but overtly cruel treatment is. Can’t believe they walked away unscathed.

The lack of solidarity in the sports media for these workers was pretty sick and revealing.

Reactions: SamInVan

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007

Don't think the new show will be like sports page format. I believe it will be more like overdrive or "tim and sid". With that, they can push the show to the podcast streaming as well. Ya, I will watch it.

BTW, give up on 650 until they fix their sound problem.

Reactions: mossey3535

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

I'll definitely give S&P podcast a shot. Very interested to hear what their format is. They weren't always must-listen for me for but I did enjoy them.

As I mentioned previously, I personally won't be watching DT's show but hopefully it finds a decent market and they do well.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad