Vancouver Media Thread- V

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Isnt there a new radio station coming on soon with the team from 1040? Cant stand Rintoul! :(
I doubt that would occur so fast. Need to think practically here.
Sure, you have the radio personalities form 6am to 6pm for 3 shows of 4 hours.
To cover that, you need to come to terms on contracts for the on air talent, then talk to sponsors about signing on with them.
Then, what do they put on the radio between 6pm to 6am?
For another sports station, they would need to make agreements with other radio stations if they need to become an affiliate or something.

Not going to happen within a month or two of the end of TSN1040.

skeena1

May 15, 2006
I can't remember the last time he broke any news. Anyway that's not how it works; people leak to journalists because it's in their interest not because they like the guy they're leaking to. But we're not talking about a journalist; we're talking about Ellliotttte Friedman, a Rogers corp brand ambassador for sports-related entertainment. His job is to promote the product.

Well, he broke the news Chiarot would not return tonight in the Canucks game, from 2000 miles away, so there's that.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Hopefully things work out for DT & crew. Not really something I'll watch as I don't even have cable, but might be a good fit for those guys.

kyru

Oct 19, 2017
Was listening to 650 the other day while driving through town, and I think it was the Larschcast on - they were talking about Holtby's struggles this year and how good Demko has been lately. They proceeded to say that signing Holtby wasn't on Benning because "if they had gone out and signed a nobody goalie for cheap, Canucks fans would have revolted because they had just lost Markstrom", and as a result he was "forced to sign Holtby".

Changed radio stations shortly after that. I don't listen to the radio a whole lot since I don't drive a whole lot, but if that's a representative sample of 650, I don't think I'll be listening much.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Was listening to 650 the other day while driving through town, and I think it was the Larschcast on - they were talking about Holtby's struggles this year and how good Demko has been lately. They proceeded to say that signing Holtby wasn't on Benning because "if they had gone out and signed a nobody goalie for cheap, Canucks fans would have revolted because they had just lost Markstrom", and as a result he was "forced to sign Holtby".

Changed radio stations shortly after that. I don't listen to the radio a whole lot since I don't drive a whole lot, but if that's a representative sample of 650, I don't think I'll be listening much.

Lmao the Larschcast is the absolute bottom of the barrel.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

They are far and away the worst "show" on the radio.. and that's in a market where James Cybulski gets his own show every day.

It was absolutely hilarious in the off-season to hear the show break down what they thought was going to happen. They thought the bubble was a sign of what the team would be like going forward and they talked about how the Canucks would have no problem trading a couple of guys and then signing all of their UFAs. Went off about how great of a trade Toffoli was and how there was no chance he wouldn't be back. I'm sure they have podcast versions of the off-season that are probably great for a laugh, but if I was them I would have deleted them a few weeks into this season.

Even the dumbest host of the three on Twitter went off how everybody liked the Holtby signing when it happened and now is claiming hindsight. Sorry buddy, you can find plenty of people who knew it was awful - they just don't interact with you.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

But Gillis!

But Linden!

But Clark!

But the fans!

When I think how hard done by this management group is, I shed tears.

I feel bad for all the shills on 650, having to look in the mirror every time, knowing that their BS has helped perpetuate 7 years of failure, with years more to follow. I mean, it's their paycheque, anyone would do the same, but still, they must throw up every time they see their reflection.

I feel for them.

Well, except for "Walks".

jk, I feel for Walks the most

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Now we just need the return of MacGooch!

Imagine the bar fridge these guys may have in the Studio!

Don Taylor returning to TV with two other former TSN 1040 broadcasters | Offside
Hmmm.. so, kind of a Jay and Dan type format for Don and Rick. ok. I was a huge Sports Page guy back in the day, but I don't think I will be tuning it. Can get the hi-lights anywhere. And I doubt that Chek TV will have the funds to do more in-depth stories.

Price/Sekeres, expected them to do a podcast. I doubt that TSN would allow their guys like Ferarro, Button, Duthie, etc. to appear on a non TSN associated Podcast. So, S&P need to find other guests that are not associated with either TSN or SN.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Hmmm.. so, kind of a Jay and Dan type format for Don and Rick. ok. I was a huge Sports Page guy back in the day, but I don't think I will be tuning it. Can get the hi-lights anywhere. And I doubt that Chek TV will have the funds to do more in-depth stories.

Price/Sekeres, expected them to do a podcast. I doubt that TSN would allow their guys like Ferarro, Button, Duthie, etc. to appear on a non TSN associated Podcast. So, S&P need to find other guests that are not associated with either TSN or SN.

Ferraro has appeared on the Vancast and that was after 1040 shut down. I don't think it's that restrictive.

I'm looking forward to their pod, I think once 1040 lost the rights to canucks games they opened up a ton, now they aren't bound by a huge corporation they can probably speak even more freely.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ferraro has appeared on the Vancast and that was after 1040 shut down. I don't think it's that restrictive.

I'm looking forward to their pod, I think once 1040 lost the rights to canucks games they opened up a ton, now they aren't bound by a huge corporation they can probably speak even more freely.
I think so long as the Podcast isn't connected to a Network competitor, like in the US with Fox, ESPN, NBC, then "Guests" can go to other ones. Seen NBC guys on Dan Patrick's show. But, wouldn't ever see Aikman or Romo on ESPN shows like Get Up or First Take for example.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
IMac on 650. As soon as I hear him say "what people need to realize or understand is.." I know it's some BS spoon-fed by Benning on the way.

He is saying the Canucks should look to acquire prospects instead of draft picks and doing something like "trading Sutter for a 4th round pick" doesn't do anything. So, you know where he is getting that idea from.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Lmao the Larschcast is the absolute bottom of the barrel.

He used to be ok with calling out key people in the 2000s. I remember him being furious at the core and Brian Burke after the Wild series. He had a memorable rant about Nonis needing to sign top talent instead of relying on team rejects.

He just kisses Bennings ass for some reason?

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
He used to be ok with calling out key people in the 2000s. I remember him being furious at the core and Brian Burke after the Wild series. He had a memorable rant about Nonis needing to sign top talent instead of relying on team rejects.

He just kisses Bennings ass for some reason.

Larschcast - as far as I know - has no affiliation with the former colour commentator.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Larschcast - as far as I know - has no affiliation with the former colour commentator.
IMO pretty sure it’s some really young guys, who are just not very good. I listen, because there’s no other sports on at that time. Last week one of the hosts admit able to participate because he “had to work”. I don’t think these guys get paid much, if at all.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

I read Larscheid (who once spoke well about Benning)...Who the hell is Larschcast?

Carry on...

Reactions: m9

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
IMac on 650. As soon as I hear him say "what people need to realize or understand is.." I know it's some BS spoon-fed by Benning on the way.

He is saying the Canucks should look to acquire prospects instead of draft picks and doing something like "trading Sutter for a 4th round pick" doesn't do anything. So, you know where he is getting that idea from.

Ah, the seasons of Benning:

Summer : Overpaying UFAs! Letting solid contributors go for nothing!

Fall : This year we have depth!

Winter : We had no depth! Injuries! But look at the prospects coming for next year! We need to make hockey trades for other teams' junk at the deadline instead of draft picks!

Spring : We're going to recoup picks at the draft when teams are hording them like gold!

Rinse and repeat. Every year for 7 years.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Ah, the seasons of Benning:

Summer : Overpaying UFAs! Letting solid contributors go for nothing!

Fall : This year we have depth!

Winter : We had no depth! Injuries! But look at the prospects coming for next year! We need to make hockey trades for other teams' junk at the deadline instead of draft picks!

Spring : We're going to recoup picks at the draft when teams are hording them like gold!

Rinse and repeat. Every year for 7 years.

This interview was extremely condescending. IMac explaining to the fans that trading for draft picks won't help the team be better next year. This "the fans just aren't being patient" narrative that is absolutely infuriating at this point, and again you know where it comes from.

He also brought up the Motte trade as an example of the fans hating it and why they were wrong. Which fair enough Motte has been useful - but obviously ignores all of the other trade deadlines mishaps.

He did eventually fall into "well I guess they could acquire those picks to use as assets to help make the team better next year". It was as if the idea just came to him. Hopefully he let Benning know this crazy new idea after the interview.

Reactions: geebaan and vanuck

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
IMO pretty sure it’s some really young guys, who are just not very good. I listen, because there’s no other sports on at that time. Last week one of the hosts admit able to participate because he “had to work”. I don’t think these guys get paid much, if at all.

They're a young radio show, you just need to be patient and give them a couple years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad