Vancouver Media Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
That was actually one of the problems. Gillis did a masterful job of extending the competitiveness of the blueline with Ehrhoff, Hamhuis, (to a lesser extent Garrison), and later Tanev. But the lack of drafting success and high picks expended on Dmen comes back to haunt sooner or later.

I do think Benning is better at scouting forwards than Dmen.

1. It's not like Gillis had many high draft picks to use in the first place, and looking at the defencemen drafted right after Hodgson/Horvat, there are some disappointments or players I'd still take Horvat over. I'd definitely take Horvat over Morin, Pulock, Mueller, and Zadorov, and Morrissey/Theodore are debatable. I also would take Hodgson over Myers and Teubert assuming we can't predict the future with his insane career-ending injury. Since we had a solid defence at the time, drafting the BPA made sense.

2. Gillis' agenda was to win a Cup, not build for the future. As you mentioned, he accomplished keeping the team competitive with the Ehrhoff/Hamhuis/Garrison/Tanev acquisitions. Faulting him for not drafting enough good defencemen with high picks is unreasonable. It would be like blaming Benning for not having a competitive roster for 2016-2018, we all knew the team needed a rebuild. Just like we knew the team was a contender during the 2010-2013 years of Gillis.

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
Button providing all the bullshit excuses today:

"They took half a step back to take a full step forward"

"I think Jim Benning has done a good job running this team"

HUH!?

Seems like Toronto media got the message to try and tamper expectations and lower the bar for their buddy Benning. It's so transparent what they're doing...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
To be honest, the man looked defeated today. I actually felt a little sorry for him. He looked like a boxer who has last 12 rounds and lost every one.
Move on Jim. It's time.

I don’t feel the least bit sorry for him.

He’s been paid more money than most of us could ever dream of to be an 80 IQ mental r—midget destroying a hockey team than millions of people care about. And has selfishly destroyed that team further in the longer term to keep his job a little longer. f*** Jim Benning. The guy is a piece of shit and the worst thing to ever happen to this franchise that I care about very much.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Button providing all the bullshit excuses today:

"They took half a step back to take a full step forward"

"I think Jim Benning has done a good job running this team"

HUH!?

Seems like Toronto media got the message to try and tamper expectations and lower the bar for their buddy Benning. It's so transparent what they're doing...
Why would they do that?..Why is the eastern media Bennings buddy?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don’t feel the least bit sorry for him.

He’s been paid more money than most of us could ever dream of to be an 80 IQ mental r—midget destroying a hockey team than millions of people care about. And has selfishly destroyed that team further in the longer term to keep his job a little longer. f*** Jim Benning. The guy is a piece of shit and the worst thing to ever happen to this franchise that I care about very much.
Is an 80 IQ technically a moron or an imbecile? Benning surely made a lot of choice that some might classify as moronic or imbecilic. Or would we say idiotic? Benning is so complicated.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Let's face it, if you expected Benning constructed team to be better than a tanking team like Detroit, or Ottawa, or Buffalo, you're expectations were too high.

I wonder where those moronic expectations came from?

Bednar of Avalanche, Green of Canucks among preseason favorites for top coach by NHL.com panel

Canucks sit in best position to end Canada’s Cup drought

Just keep doing what they’re doing. That’s a good young team that is only going to get better. I think some Canucks fans owe Jim Benning an apology.

Wouldn't it be ironic if the same poster who linked those moronic articles from moronic pundits also linked the one about fans expectations being too high?

Reactions: Jyrki21 and vanuck

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
I can honestly say that I did not know this/ if I did it got erased from my memory.. :huh: Seems it escaped wide knowledge since it’s not on CapFriendly.

Might be the second time the Canucks aren’t happy with Drance this year :popcorn:

Last edited:
Reactions: Dab

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I can honestly say that I did not know this/ if I did it got erased from my memory.. :huh: Seems it escaped wide knowledge since it’s not on CapFriendly.

Some savvy moves by Benning there... masking some of his incompetence with more overt displays of incompetence, thereby never fully revealing the full extent of his incompetence.

Clever bird, he is.

Reactions: I am toxic and Dab

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Maybe I'm wrong and maybe it's been brought up, but are there no players on the team that were eligible for a NTC/NMC that haven't gotten one?

Reactions: FroshaugFan2

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
OBC for life man, they protect their own.

Mike Gillis on the other hand...

How come the card carrying members of the famed OBC didn't help Mike in his time running the Canucks?

You know Lorne Henning, assistant to Al Arbour for the dynasty islanders teams, involved in coaching since the early 80s, moving into management in the 2000s? Laurence Gilman hockey management since the late 90s. Stan Smyl? Ron Delorme? etc.

Reactions: vanuck

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
How come the card carrying members of the famed OBC didn't help Mike in his time running the Canucks?

You know Lorne Henning, assistant to Al Arbour for the dynasty islanders teams, involved in coaching since the early 80s, moving into management in the 2000s? Laurence Gilman hockey management since the late 90s. Stan Smyl? Ron Delorme? etc.

Lorne Henning, Laurence Gilman, Stan Smyl, Rob Delorme...they worked the old fashion way through scouting/management.

Once they were hitched to Gillis, OBC cut them off.
It’s all political man, if this was a Brian Burke the OBC would hitch onto them cause Burke was an OG.

Plus Burke has WAY more pull

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
Lorne Henning, Laurence Gilman, Stan Smyl, Rob Delorme...they worked the old fashion way through scouting/management.

It’s all political man, if this was a Brian Burke the OBC would hitch onto them cause Burke was an OG.

This is so stupid.

Reactions: vanuck

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
This is so stupid.

Sorry that’s how the NHL works.
Stupid as it is, this is how the OBC operates.

come on now, you can pray all you want for Gillis to come back but he ain’t coming back unless an OBC guy hitches on. Doesn’t matter how many interviews he has...ownership talks to OBC members.

How the f*** do you think Benning still has a job here? How come no ones critiques his shit through 7 years of incompetence? Yet his buddies in the media and through other NHL management protects him.

I cannot believe some people here think the OBC doesn’t matter, for f*** sakes Vancouver had OBC in its f***ing blood with Quinn, Burke and f***ing Crawford.

Reactions: Bubbles

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
Sorry that’s how the NHL works.
Stupid as it is, this is how the OBC operates.

come on now, you can pray all you want for Gillis to come back but he ain’t coming back unless an OBC guy hitches on. Doesn’t matter how many interviews he has...ownership talks to OBC members

I'm not praying for him to come back.

How did the magical OBC get together and award him the Jim Gregory award if they don't like outsiders so much?

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

How did the magical OBC get together and award him the Jim Gregory award if they don't like outsiders so much?

He’s f***ing protected man, through Jacobs, Neely, Chiarelli and the f***ing Boston management. Don’t forget he was a damn scout in Buffalo under Lindy Ruff who’s another OBC OG.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

I'm just going to slightly disagree with you on Gilman and Henning. Gilman is the AGM of the Leafs and Henning I believe is a scout with Anaheim. They weren't necessarily OBC, but got along with them way better than Gillis.

I think they both acted as a buffer between Gillis and some of the OBC guys (hence, making trades with teams that hated Gillis.)

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

I've posted many links about the subject, but you mysteriously disappear and not reply to any of them. Epochlink can attest to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad