Confirmed with Link: Vancouver is out as a playoff hub city

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
this is slightly smarter than the wexit going on in Alberta but not by much.

unless California is included in the cascadia plan there’s no way we can continue our way of life if we separate. And even then California is nearly broke.

Wexit was started by some idiots in Alberta and Saskatchewan, that has quickly stalled down to a tee.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Okay, I am seeing a lot of suggestions why, but what is the reason Vancouver is out (if not temporary) as a hib city. See a lot of comments but not the reason why?

we wouldn’t bend out rules for the nhl.

NHL wanted to allow asymptomatic people to be allowed to work while we require them to quarantine.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Wexit was started by some idiots in Alberta and Saskatchewan, that has quickly stalled down to a tee.

Hopefully; but on the bastion of higher thought wexit seems to have a B.C. leadership also.

I couldn’t help but laugh at how little we Actually have in common with alb/man/ssk to want to leave and create a new country with them.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019

without going down the rabbit hole. IT has not died out. Certain people are still making money off of it and if Toronto is picked over Edmonton, they will use that ammo as evidence that Canada hates Alberta

FYI The Wexit party believes BC will follow Alberta out

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think Wexit went down the COVID-19 black hole.....my betting is a lot of Wexit supporters who've been laid off, are too busy applying for the Feds CERB wage support program to think about it anymore.

And the UCP wants to scrap people's CPP benefits and replace with a provincial plan. You were warned.

Reactions: Szechwan

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Personally, I have no horse in the being a hub city race. If we're going to watch hockey, we're going to watch hockey. On TV. I am doubtful this season finishes. I hope it does, but I see too much red tape to get past and if they don't have the hub cities by next week, it's going to be really tough I would think to hit the July 10 target.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
without going down the rabbit hole. IT has not died out. Certain people are still making money off of it and if Toronto is picked over Edmonton, they will use that ammo as evidence that Canada hates Alberta

FYI The Wexit party believes BC will follow Alberta out
Lol just imagine the conversation

Alberta:Hey BC let’s leave Canada
B.C.: hmmm how does that help us
AB: we can finally control our own destiny
B.C.: that’s interesting; how would we pay for it?
AB: drill for oil and ship it out - you guys have some oil/gas in the Queen Charlotte islands right

BC: lol lolololol

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
I think Wexit went down the COVID-19 black hole.....my betting is a lot of Wexit supporters who've been laid off, are too busy applying for the Feds CERB wage support program to think about it anymore.

And the UCP wants to scrap people's CPP benefits and replace with a provincial plan. You were warned.

Maybe when oil went negative those Albertans came to epiphany that equalization payments might not be the world's worst evil.

200.gif

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Health and safety come first. Go Bonnie Henry.

I can see why the NHL is balking at committing to BC's rules, but what about the NHLPA? Why would the players want a potential "spreader" to remain in the bubble? The affected player would have to be quarantined for 14 days and unable to play anyway. So, why put more players in the bubble at risk ? Am I missing something?

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Maybe when oil went negative those Albertans came to epiphany that equalization payments might not be the world's worst evil.

200.gif
Nope, still looking to blame others when their take home pay was 8k a month but mortgage, ex wife, boat, truck, quad/bike, coke/meth is still 8k a month

Reactions: rypper

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
The minute Alberta cedes from Canada, big brother USA steps in to offer ̶O̶c̶c̶u̶p̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ "protection."

Reactions: Szechwan

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Not that I particularly want it, but is there a reason that my adoptive hometown wasn’t considered? Ottawa is in far better shape than the Toronto area, most of the hotels here are empty (I presume – this is a government town, not a tourist destination) and there are arenas aplenty. Not everything is near each other (hotels are mostly downtown, not Kanata) but it’s not like the players are taking public transit.

Reactions: I am toxic

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Health and safety come first. Go Bonnie Henry.

I can see why the NHL is balking at committing to BC's rules, but what about the NHLPA? Why would the players want a potential "spreader" to remain in the bubble? The affected player would have to be quarantined for 14 days and unable to play anyway. So, why put more players in the bubble at risk ? Am I missing something?
IIRC the NHL was the entity balking, not necessarily the PA. That was how I read it anyway; haven't seen any kind of comprehensive account of the negotiation process. Not even sure the proposal got to where the union would have to ratify it. Could be wrong, but didn't see anything saying otherwise as of yet.

Also, massive kudos to Dr. Henry and the province for holding firm. We're all lucky to be here (those of us that are). Let's not take that for granted.

The minute Alberta cedes from Canada, big brother USA steps in to offer ̶O̶c̶c̶u̶p̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ "protection."
Pffffffffft. The idea of Wexit happening is right up there with whole "Bill Gates is using vaccines to implant rf chips in everyone's wieners so Hilary Clinton and George Soros can use 5G towers to brainwash badgers into stealing our trousers and funneling the profits to Antifa pedophile terrorist cells!!!1!' QAnon stuff.

It's Loony Toons stuff. Not happening.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
It's too bad.

But on the other hand, I trust Dr. Henry, and well....look at what happened with the MLB in Florida. I don't think a quarantine should have been balked at by the NHL...that could really blow up in their face.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Which brings me to another issue, how did Alberta get more confirmed covid cases than BC?

1. A couple major outbreaks at food processors with questionable work conditions considering the pandemic....take those out and the numbers change significantly.
2. 2.25x the testing rate as BC (I was previously comparing outdated numbers).

3. Was just thinking this is likely a factor as there are news articles about the youth rates going up and up here....We have the youngest population in Canada.

Last edited:

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
Media acting like Vancouver "lost" the chance to host the NHL is infuriating. If anything it's the other way around.

The NHL lost their chance to use Vancouver as a hub because they refused to follow rules in place for the safety of the public and players. (Which should bring some red flags on the idea of the NHL completing the whole playoffs over 2 months if they're not taking this seriously)

The NHL needs Vancouver more than the city needs the league. Good on the provincial government to not crumple on those demands. (Unlike Alberta's desperate campaign)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If just one player, coach or team official testing 'positive' was going to cause the delay or temporary cancellation of games, then Vancouver was a risk the NHL couldn't afford to take.

I suspect wherever the NHL ends up, the COVID rules will be similar to what the PGA tour is going through. A couple of players and caddies have tested positive, but they simply withdrew from the tournament and the rest carried on.

But it really makes you realize how shaky this whole Stanley Cup neutral site playoff round really is. What happens if a star player on one of the teams tests 'positive' and has to withdraw for quarantine?

There's a possibility that Lord Stanley's mug goes to the team that can avoid experiencing the most infections to its key players.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
I do think its a little ridiculous that BC has such strict rules in place for the NHL yet we are doing nothing about the thousands of tourists from Alberta and the USA that have been infiltrating our province for the last few months. Its a joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad