Confirmed with Link: Vancouver is out as a playoff hub city

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Have they said if they would be using more than one arena to play the games?

it would be weird to see a team play in the middle of the day if they only use one arena.

Also am I the only one that doesn’t see this finishing up? And even if it gets to the finals what happens if one team suddenly gets covid? Do they cancel it?

What if the team that gets covid is up 3-0 in the finals and suddenly can’t play does the other team get the cup?

I think the league chose cities that balance the risk of Covid infection with their control over the consequences of positive test results, so they have the best chance of completing the playoffs according to some kind of mapped out schedule.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I think the league chose cities that balance the risk of Covid infection with their control over the consequences of positive test results, so they have the best chance of completing the playoffs according to some kind of mapped out schedule.

Yep. This is why Vancouver didn't work out. It would be the safest city to hold the playoffs but one positive test would probably kill the whole thing. In Edmonton or Toronto, the risk is higher but not as high as anywhere in the Covid States of America and, as you say, they can fudge things so one positive result does not scuttle the show.

Reactions: Luckylarry

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Have they said if they would be using more than one arena to play the games?

it would be weird to see a team play in the middle of the day if they only use one arena.

Also am I the only one that doesn’t see this finishing up? And even if it gets to the finals what happens if one team suddenly gets covid? Do they cancel it?

What if the team that gets covid is up 3-0 in the finals and suddenly can’t play does the other team get the cup?
Sounds like they will play in only Rogers place. Logistically you have 4 play in series so 2 get played each day. But you have 4 other teams playing for seeding so those games can go 1 per day max.

But you need time to clean the benches and locker rooms. So expect games to begin at noon at the latest with the next one at 4 then the final one at 8. Or they may very well need to find a second arena.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Looking at what's happening south of the border right now, you can understand why the NHL waited as long as possible before declaring its hub cities and decided to come to Canada.

TO and Edmonton are two of only a few places in N.A. where the league has a fighting chance of completing its season without a COVID outbreak. Even then, it has to be considered 'dicey'.

The MLS and NBA decided to go to Forida....and you wonder now if they're regretting the decision.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Looking at what's happening south of the border right now, you can understand why the NHL waited as long as possible before declaring its hub cities and decided to come to Canada.

TO and Edmonton are two of only a few places in N.A. where the league has a fighting chance of completing its season without a COVID outbreak. Even then, it has to be considered 'dicey'.

The MLS and NBA decided to go to Forida....and you wonder now if they're regretting the decision.
With the amount of Covid in FLA it’s highly unlikely the virus doesn’t get into the hubs.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i wonder if behind closed doors enough of the nhlpa refused to go to the us that they had either to choose edm and to or shut it down for good

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad