Confirmed with Link: Vancouver is out as a playoff hub city

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
So I would assume this means they plan on using the PNE, UBC and Rogers arena as they are all close to downtown where we have all our hotels available.

while it could be great for the economy locally I wonder how we handle the safety of everyone involved even with the assumption that there is no fans at the games.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Could see Vancouver having a strong case with BC's good covid numbers, hotel space, and having at least two rinks that I know of which could host NHL games in Rogers and the Pacific Colosseum.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Could see Vancouver having a strong case with BC's good covid numbers, hotel space, and having at least two rinks that I know of which could host NHL games in Rogers and the Pacific Colosseum.

My thinking as well.

And yeah, one would have to think teams have been in touch with their various levels of government when submitting these sorts of bids.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City

Not to mention Abottsford, Langley and Victoria as well. I'd assume the rinks would be empty, but the main concern would be professional dressing room facilities, broadcast ability and rink size.

SeawaterOnIce

Being invaded again.
Aug 28, 2011
Bruins win the cup and Marchand will get to say he won the cup twice in Vancouver.

No thanks!

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
So would the players need to be in the hotel or at the rink 24/7? (If so, what about their families?) How would they guarantee the the players will not, for example, go to Stanley Park for a walk and then bring the virus back to the team? Or is that a risk they are willing to take?

We no fans and no celebrations outside, how much benefit (economically) would this truly bring?

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Quite frankly, I wouldn't want to win a cup in this type of scenario. It just feels so empty and takes the total euphoria out of it, one of the best moments of 2011 was seeing thousands of people gathered in Vancouver watching the game on a large outdoor screen.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Quite frankly, I wouldn't want to win a cup in this type of scenario. It just feels so empty and takes the total euphoria out of it, one of the best moments of 2011 was seeing thousands of people gathered in Vancouver watching the game on a large outdoor screen.

Totally disagree. I want to win a cup, and screw it if there is an asterisks attached. i would be interest to find out whether we can add Hoglander and Tryamkin into the mix. And as I have posted elsewhere, no reason to have no fans. give them very strict rules, and allow 1 - 2,000 fans in. No more than 2 per row, unless its husband and wife or such. No alcohol sales, or food. Make the tickets very expensive, keep out the riff riff (like me).

I think it would be great to have it here. As I posted - make one hub city per division, finish off the season with 72 games and the first round of the playoffs. Best of 5 if need be.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I want hockey back. I'm not really hung up on the particulars of what it all means. Next season is probably going to be disrupted too, for all those who care about making everything a neat 82 games and playoffs kind of season.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
Considering the strict rules that would be in place for the players and their families, and likely there won't be any fans allowed at the game whatsoever, I'm not sure this will have much economic benefit at all. I think it would be a huge waste of resources no matter where it gets played, and they should just cancel the season.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Maybe I'm missing something here, but what incentive would there be for teams, currently out of the playoffs, to bring back all their players for a training camp that will cost $$$$$$$$$$, in order to finish the regular season? Even worse, if they decide to shorten the season to 72-75 games?

Given all the logistics that they'll have to work out (especially safety), just call it a finished regular season using points % (as they plan to do with the draft, it seems), and finalize the 16 teams. Decide on the venues, get a training camp in for 2-3 week period, and then proceed with the usual playoff schedule (4 rounds of 7 games).

Forget the asterisk for the winner, as all playoff teams will be in the same boat starting out.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
It seems like we should be one of the best options for hosting a large amount of games. Unfortunately, barring something unforeseen we won't be able to attend, and it won't make much of a difference to as fans whether they are here or elsewhere.

Given that the last time that resulted in a riot for the 2nd time, I have my doubts we have anything like that again even post-pandemic. If it is decided that its safe to continue the season, we're likely in a situation where you can watch games in small groups, at the very least with friends and family. Its not quite the same as being in attendance or at a large public gathering, but the majority of people typically watch the majority of games in this manner.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Maybe I'm missing something here, but what incentive would there be for teams, currently out of the playoffs, to bring back all their players for a training camp that will cost $$$$$$$$$$, in order to finish the regular season? Even worse, if they decide to shorten the season to 72-75 games?

Given all the logistics that they'll have to work out (especially safety), just call it a finished regular season using points % (as they plan to do with the draft, it seems), and finalize the 16 teams. Decide on the venues, get a training camp in for 2-3 week period, and then proceed with the usual playoff schedule (4 rounds of 7 games).

Forget the asterisk for the winner, as all playoff teams will be in the same boat starting out.

Advertising revenue from what becomes a major hockey tournament.

Would the World Cup of Hockey lose money if it was held in an empty arena? The NFL is profitable with empty stadiums as well.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
The big corporations will pay huge dollars for advertising

there will probably be TV breaks like the NBA to allow sponsors advert time

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Bonnie Henry was asked about Vancouver hosting nhl games as a hub city . Surprisingly she said it could happen. I was shocked

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So would the players need to be in the hotel or at the rink 24/7? (If so, what about their families?) How would they guarantee the the players will not, for example, go to Stanley Park for a walk and then bring the virus back to the team? Or is that a risk they are willing to take?

We no fans and no celebrations outside, how much benefit (economically) would this truly bring?
Players need access to practice rinks and gyms to practice and train. Kind of like hosting a wjhc tournament.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Totally disagree. I want to win a cup, and screw it if there is an asterisks attached.
If Original Six fans get to lay claim to Stanley Cups where you had a 17% chance just for showing up, no draft, no cap, no foreign players, and most guys couldn’t even do a slapshot... yeah, there are no asterisks here.

Though ain’t it just the Canucks’ luck that in the year they could have had the magical combination of Micheal Ferland and crowd noise*, they lose the crowd noise.

* Gawd, our management is so dumb.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver

Don't worry or stress yourself about it. Canucks aren't winning any cups this year.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I would love for there to be some type of community VR access to these games. Could be a fun way for some people to enjoy sports together safely.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
sorry guys, i've been sort of out-of-the-loop recently and don't know whats going on.
is it confirmed the season will conclude with a winner?
has the playoff format been announced? if there are teams bidding on hosting the games, i would imagine they've decided on what the games are?
google doesnt really show that anything has been announced and that seems odd all things considered.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
sorry guys, i've been sort of out-of-the-loop recently and don't know whats going on.
is it confirmed the season will conclude with a winner?
has the playoff format been announced? if there are teams bidding on hosting the games, i would imagine they've decided on what the games are?
google doesnt really show that anything has been announced and that seems odd all things considered.
They're just starting to feel out possibilities and making very preliminary stabs. Just floating the idea of *maybe* doing *something* again this year. Nothing's remotely decided on yet.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
If there's no fans watching in the building who cares where they play. I'm sure the players would rather Vancouver over Edmonton but it's not like in either place they'll be going out in public very much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->