Confirmed with Link: Vancouver is out as a playoff hub city

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
In ‘77 i was pumping gas at a White Rock, BC (on the US/Canada border) location. Several times (over the one summer I was there) people driving US plated RVs (not from Washington state) asked me for directions to Alaska. They all thought Alaska was really close to the border. When I explained how big BC was, and they had at least a three day 1000 plus mile trip, they were always totally shocked. Really friendly and nice people, but they just didn’t know.
So yes, it’s easy to accept a lot of the US population might not really understand where Edmonton is.
I have a friend who worked at a border crossing in Quebec, and he remembers a car pulling up with skis on the roof. They asked him which way to Whistler. He said, "Turn left and keep going straight for about five or six days."

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You try to be optimistic, but as this Pandemic grinds onward, it's getting harder and harder to see how the NHL will be able to complete the season.

Some more NHL players tested positive as reported this morning. And keep in mind, teams and players haven't even traveled and gathered in the hub cities yet. You wonder what will happen when they all arrive in one place, and start practicing and playing in the same arenas? Even if individual teams are quarantined and isolated, it just feels to me like they haven't got much hope of keeping everyone safe.

I'd say the scales are tipping. It's becoming more likely that the season is abandoned, rather than the actual crowning of a Stanley Cup champion. Fervently hope I'm wrong. But logic says otherwise.

Reactions: I am toxic

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
We are still technically in the same season as the one where Don Cherry got fired :laugh::huh:

tenor.gif

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
So happy that Vegas was not chosen, for safety sake. I'm relieved that Edmonton will be the Western hub. Let's hope that the playoffs happen without any health incidents.

Purely for the hockey, Edmonton's arena has great ice, so we should be looking forward to exciting games.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So happy that Vegas was not chosen, for safety sake. I'm relieved that Edmonton will be the Western hub. Let's hope that the playoffs happen without any health incidents.

Purely for the hockey, Edmonton's arena has great ice, so we should be looking forward to exciting games.
The goal all along should be where is the best locations that give us a shot of finishing the season and awarding the Cup.

Vegas is fun when things are normal. But it’s not Normal right now plus the playoffs are in the summer. Families are much safer in their own home cities.

Reactions: Canuckle1970

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

As much as Edmonton is a pretty dreary place..Its location and facilities make it a no-brainer for the safety of the teams and staff.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
As much as Edmonton is a pretty dreary place..Its location and facilities make it a no-brainer for the safety of the teams and staff.

I don't know. I think Edmonton is pretty decent in the summer. The river valley is a nice place to hang out, and there are (or were, pre covid), a good selection of restaurants and pubs with lots of international fare.

So far as a city goes, I didn't find it any worse than any other flat continental city. Or better, for that matter.

That said, it was summer when I lived there, and at the U of A. It was pretty cool to see northern lights from my window at the end of August.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
I've never been to Edmonton (we lived in Calgary when I was a young'un), so I can't comment on whether it's dreary or a great place to live. I'm grateful that our players will have a relatively safe place to play, with good ice.

Assuming that this iconic playoff season gets underway, I hope we see some great hockey.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't know. I think Edmonton is pretty decent in the summer. The river valley is a nice place to hang out, and there are (or were, pre covid), a good selection of restaurants and pubs with lots of international fare.

So far as a city goes, I didn't find it any worse than any other flat continental city. Or better, for that matter.

That said, it was summer when I lived there, and at the U of A. It was pretty cool to see northern lights from my window at the end of August.
Have to remember, the players are not there for a vacation. They are there to work. And given the importance of their health, they will have to compromise with regards to their off-time. Where they can and can't go. Things will have to be planned days in advance if they want to get in a round of golf or something. Best that they be outdoor activities rather than indoor, but need to be separated from the general population.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Have to remember, the players are not there for a vacation. They are there to work. And given the importance of their health, they will have to compromise with regards to their off-time. Where they can and can't go. Things will have to be planned days in advance if they want to get in a round of golf or something. Best that they be outdoor activities rather than indoor, but need to be separated from the general population.

This I understand, of course, but they aren't strictly going only hotel room-to-arena-and-back and ordering in food every day.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks should feel right at home in Rogers Place in Edmonton. They've actually played some good hockey there in recent seasons, and have always played the Oilers tough. Simple travel to. It could be worse--like Vegas.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This I understand, of course, but they aren't strictly going only hotel room-to-arena-and-back and ordering in food every day.

Players need a mental break from the daily grind of the playoffs. Need fresh air. But, anything they do should be planned out days in advance so that they can rent out the entire facility to keep the players separated from the public.

There can't really be much or any spontaneity of deciding last minute to do something.

Even walks, they'd want to make sure that everyone is being careful.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Players need a mental break from the daily grind of the playoffs. Need fresh air. But, anything they do should be planned out days in advance so that they can rent out the entire facility to keep the players separated from the public.

There can't really be much or any spontaneity of deciding last minute to do something.

Even walks, they'd want to make sure that everyone is being careful.
Good luck finding princesses of the night who test negative for anything now

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I've never been to Edmonton (we lived in Calgary when I was a young'un), so I can't comment on whether it's dreary or a great place to live. I'm grateful that our players will have a relatively safe place to play, with good ice.

Assuming that this iconic playoff season gets underway, I hope we see some great hockey.

the arena was built downtown amongst the largest homeless community in the city. You can’t go to any event without seeing st least a few drugged out beggars

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
the arena was built downtown amongst the largest homeless community in the city. You can’t go to any event without seeing st least a few drugged out beggars
Well, given the amount of land needed for an arena, along with parking required, unlikely You’re going to find that space in the financial district of Edmonton or where the hub of businesses are. Look where Rogers Arena got built. A couple blocks away from the downtown east side.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Well, given the amount of land needed for an arena, along with parking required, unlikely You’re going to find that space in the financial district of Edmonton or where the hub of businesses are. Look where Rogers Arena got built. A couple blocks away from the downtown east side.
Entirely privately funded arena though so does it really matter where it was built? So as long as no taxpayers money was used, it doesn't matter too much to me where it is.

Reactions: timw33

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Have they said if they would be using more than one arena to play the games?

it would be weird to see a team play in the middle of the day if they only use one arena.

Also am I the only one that doesn’t see this finishing up? And even if it gets to the finals what happens if one team suddenly gets covid? Do they cancel it?

What if the team that gets covid is up 3-0 in the finals and suddenly can’t play does the other team get the cup?

Reactions: Luckylarry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->