OT: Vancouver Giants Announce They Will Move To Langley Event Center

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Lougheed town Center where dat?

Families and suburban hockey fans were the plan in Abbotsford too and failed because no one west of the river will cross that river.

LEC and the Abbotsford aren't even close to comparable in terms of accessibility...

Have you ever been farther east than Boundary?

Battle Hymns

Sep 6, 2013
This will add about 20 minutes to my commute but the arena is a beauty. Parking alone was a nightmare in Vancouver. I won't get season tix but probably small packs

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
It makes sense from the Giants perspective, and they're moving in on that Fraser Valley territory before Abbotsford has the chance to go after the WHL. The demographic at major junior games is much different than Canucks games. It goes after young families who can't afford to take a family of 4 to a Canucks game. They don't go after the yuppie Vancouver 20/30 somethings that make up the majority of the Canucks games, and if they were trying, the only way they would succeed is if they have a championship caliber team.

Major junior is not the big leagues. Its a piece of Canadiana that is supposed to be for smaller cities across the country, and for the most part has failed miserably in Canada's big cities, particularly Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. If you look through at the success stories of major junior, aside from the Calgary Hitmen, its basically all in the medium-size cities of this country. London, Kitchener, Kelowna, Halifax etc.

Count me as one of the Vancouver yuppies that would maybe go to a Giants game once every 2 years, and definitely won't be going now. Their ownership won't shed a tear for me, nor should they.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Not happy abut this comeon who goes out to Langley? :laugh:

LuongosTirePump

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
I think it makes sense from a business perspective. The PC has been ghostly the last few years. I used to go to about 3-5 games a year, it was always a great time and I enjoyed watching junior hockey.

Selfishly though, I hate the move since I live in East Vancouver. Only reason I've ever gone to Langley is to visit girlfriend's family. There's basically no reason to go there; as opposed to Vancouver, which people are used to traveling to for events.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I think it makes sense from a business perspective. The PC has been ghostly the last few years. I used to go to about 3-5 games a year, it was always a great time and I enjoyed watching junior hockey.

Selfishly though, I hate the move since I live in East Vancouver. Only reason I've ever gone to Langley is to visit girlfriend's family. There's basically no reason to go there; as opposed to Vancouver, which people are used to traveling to for events.

But as more and more people move east, the more and more demand there will be for entertainment options. Obviously less and less people were making the trek into Vancouver, since their attendance has struggled for a few years.

Now you have a reason to come out this way. :)

ayoshi

Nov 3, 2010
Really hope this doesn't mean the Rivermen are moving.

Would have preferred a North Surrey location, but I guess there isn't a suitable rink around there.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I live in Surrey, so this is a much closer location. I've played in the LEC before too and the facility is fantastic. Excited to take in some more junior hockey.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
When i think of the demographics in east van its outright a o brainer to move to langley.

Families want an afforadble home and thats where people live.

Ridge
meadows
langley
Poco
moody
surrey
mission
aldergrove
new west
white rock

Not gonna lie about 10000:1 more likely to have a person in the house on a hockey team.

East van is for 20-40 year olds or folks who have lived there since the 60s.

The sports culture of the fraser valley is in the LEC not to mention road trips from opposing teams being in a much more affordable location. Food. Hotel. And parking.

hockeyrulz14

Mar 16, 2009
Received a e-mail as a Season Ticket Holder yesterday and Tickets are going to be more expensive in Langley than they were at the PC. I guess that should be expected moving to a smaller arena.

Single Games will be between $19 for Endzone and $40 for Premium Club Seating per seat for Single Game Tickets. If I remember the e-mail right, Season Tickets are between $16.00 for Endzone and $33.00 for Premium Club per seat.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
On Global News last night, Jay Durrant reported the Giants received 400 new deposits for season tickets in the 24 hours after the announcement was made. That's been the largest number of new holders in the past four years. 20 STH cancelled theirs in the same amount of time. I'll probably be buying a couple of flex packs.

Still early, but that's a great start.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Off Topic

When i think of the demographics in east van its outright a o brainer to move to langley.

Families want an afforadble home and thats where people live.

Ridge
meadows
langley
Poco
moody
surrey
mission
aldergrove
new west
white rock

The bolded is the only issue i have, heh heh...

My White Rock real estate story.

6 months ago, a White Rock home was on sale, list price of $999,999... we put s bid in @ $1,080,000.
Winning bid was $1,130,000.
The 'winners' turned around and offered it to us on assignment for $1,250,000.
We declined.
Skip ahead SIX months... and they have re-listed the home for $1,688,000.

Anyone interested?
https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/...LAY-STREET-White-Rock-British-Columbia-V4B4L1

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Anyone know how the flex packs usually work? Certainly can't make every game, but plan on attending more than one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad