OT: Vancouver Giants Announce They Will Move To Langley Event Center

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
http://vancouvergiants.com/article/giants-to-call-langley-events-centre-home

This really affects those of us who live in the GVRD. The Giants are moving to the Langley Event Center. They are moving out of the Pacific Coliseum...which, lets face it....was way too big for them. The LEC seats 5,276 which is PERFECT for a WHL team. What do you think? Will this lead to any of.....especially out in the Valley...going to more Giants game? Will it make you more interested in the team?

Personally, HELL YEA! For me, they just went from being an hour and a bits drive, to 12 minutes. I may even get seasons tickets.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
The Events Centre is really nice and only 15 minutes from where I live. I always wanted to go to more Giants games but didn't want to trek out to Vancouver to do it.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
The Events Centre is really nice and only 15 minutes from where I live. I always wanted to go to more Giants games but didn't want to trek out to Vancouver to do it.

Exactly my thinking on the subject. Good for us. Especially with the way our OTHER team looks

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada

Exactly my thinking on the subject. Good for us. Especially with the way our OTHER team looks

Same here, around 10 minutes for me.

Won't go as far a season tickets, but will watch more games (around 5 maybe).

Helps if we draft Benson with 33rd ;)

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Don't care. Just change their name to Langley Giants

Langley is part of Metro Vancouver and their taxes go to Translink. No way in hell they're changing the name. :laugh:

Personally I can't do season tix as I do shift work, but I'll definitely be getting a flex pack or two.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is the precursor to Toigo selling the team?....two years worth of losses, and moving to smaller rink with less transit accessibility....interesting that two of the biggest rinks in the Lower Mainland, the Abbotsford Enertainment Centre and now the Coliseum have no hockey tenants.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
And that`s the last time I`ll ever go to a Giants game.

Glad for those that live out that way but disappointed as I loved going to the games.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Is the precursor to Toigo selling the team?....two years worth of losses, and moving to smaller rink with less transit accessibility....interesting that two of the biggest rinks in the Lower Mainland, the Abbotsford Enertainment Centre and now the Coliseum have no hockey tenants.

Four years of losses actually. But the majority of their season ticket base lives South of the Fraser, so Langley makes sense. 5200 is perfect size for the WHL these days. They've also made no bones about wanting to build an arena in Surrey but that's still a pipe dream at this point.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011

Times have changed. Used to be venturing outside Van. was the trek. =\

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Almost walking distance for me.

I've been to a couple junior games at the LEC, it's a great place to watch games. I'm not a huge WHL fan but will catch a few games to see top prospects.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
I never went to the games in Vancouver. I for sure will never go to Langley

I think I have been there about 5 times in my life.

:yo:

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
The Giants were pretty big in the mid-late 2000's but there hasn't been a lot to cheer about the past 6 years. Their key demographic has and will always probably be families and most families are migrating out into the suburbs.

So yeah, this move makes a lot of sense.

I do have to say...it does seem like hockey is losing popularity in Vancouver. Most of my friends I grew up with that played ice and street hockey have now begun playing grassy sports such as ultimate.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I'm excited about the atmosphere for Giant fans if they can continue to attract 4900/gm..

A packed house is always fun to be in!

And it's such a nice looking building!

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Sucks that playoff games will still be at the coliseum. As someone moving out to Langley as it is about the only thing I can afford, I'll be checking out games for sure.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Sucks that playoff games will still be at the coliseum. As someone moving out to Langley as it is about the only thing I can afford, I'll be checking out games for sure.

Have not see that reported anywhere. Hope it's not true.

I can understand using the Coliseum if they were to ever host the Memorial Cup again, but not for playoff games.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Crazy how the team has lost it since their dominant period from 2005-2010. Looked like they'd be relevant here for a long time and one of those few permanent Brandon/London-type CHL powerhouses.

Now 6 years without winning a playoff series, 7 years without a #1 NHL pick on their roster, and they've become largely irrelevant. Yeah, the CHL goes in cycles but this is a *long* down cycle with no obvious end in sight.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Crazy how the team has lost it since their dominant period from 2005-2010. Looked like they'd be relevant here for a long time and one of those few permanent Brandon/London-type CHL powerhouses.

Now 6 years without winning a playoff series, 7 years without a #1 NHL pick on their roster, and they've become largely irrelevant. Yeah, the CHL goes in cycles but this is a *long* down cycle with no obvious end in sight.

I think this is what drives Aquilini's determination to make the playoffs. Watching the other team in this market drift off into irrelevance must cause concern.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Smart move for the franchise and good for all the fans in the valley but I'll miss going to games. Pacific Coliseum is a 5 minute transit trip for me, Langley is just way too far way.

Good memories, I remember seeing Evander Kane's first game, he was so skinny I thought he was going to be murdered but after a few shifts you could tell he was special. Lucic wrecking people in the memorial Cup final and many other young future NHLers throughout the years. It's amazing how obvious it is when you see a kid that has NHL written all over him. Hell, I remember Damon Severson coming into town with the Rockets and not really knowing who he was but my eyes were glued to him the whole game. Was pissed when the Devils grabbed him, I was certain the Canucks would take him and then we got hit with Alexandre Mallet... Always tried to sit up top where the scouts were to eavesdrop.

Oh well, Canucks tickets were practically on par this year in the secondary market, so I guess I'll go to a few more now.

I guess without knowing it I have already seen my last Giants game

Yup.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Living in South Surrey, I'm cool with this. Might actually go to a game or 2 now.

The Poacher

Dec 30, 2010
Pitt Meadows
I'm excited about the atmosphere for Giant fans if they can continue to attract 4900/gm..

A packed house is always fun to be in!

And it's such a nice looking building!

It's also really loud when it's full, would be an awesome place to watch playoff games.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Living in South Surrey, I'm cool with this. Might actually go to a game or 2 now.

Dido... moved here 3 yrs ago and I'm 7-8 mins away from the Surrey Eagles.. and it's proximity has resulted in attending about 3 gms overy the last 2 seasons. 3 more than I ever would before. Also it's an ultra cheap alternative to take your 3 and 5 yr old to.
3 yr old is there for the mascot anyway.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Yea! I'm much more interested now they they've moved much closer to me.

Never been to a game at PC. Just not worth the hassle of getting on the train from Richmond or Surrey, then getting on a bus to East Van to go, and then all the way back. I wouldn't go on a weeknight, and if it's a Saturday I'm for sure having a couple beers.

Now it's 10 mins away. I will go to games. Even just a night when I have nothing going on and feel like doing something.

I have never followed the Giants closely, now I will.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad