OT: Vancouver Giants Announce They Will Move To Langley Event Center

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Have not see that reported anywhere. Hope it's not true.

I can understand using the Coliseum if they were to ever host the Memorial Cup again, but not for playoff games.

from what i heard on 1040 the big events will still be at the PC including the teddy bear toss, apparently the kids anti-bullying flash mob, and playoffs.

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
Love this! LEC is literally 2 min drive from my house. Ill be going to lots of games for sure where as I never bothered to drive down to Van for a Giants game in the past.

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
This makes me sad. I loved going to games at the Coliseum when the Royals were visiting. I might go out to Langley once to check it out but it's not going to be a regular thing.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
I had some good memories watching Giants games at the Coliseum.

Like my first teddy bear toss, or ragging on Matt Dumba (DUMMMMBAAAA) during a playoff game.

Leaving Vancouver makes a ton of sense for the team. Vancouver has always been a fickle crowd if the product isn't the best of the best, and I'm willing to wager there's a larger contingent of fans living east of the Port Mann.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
This makes me sad. I loved going to games at the Coliseum when the Royals were visiting. I might go out to Langley once to check it out but it's not going to be a regular thing.

one positive is that you never have to get off highway 17 from the ferry and it'll take you right to the events center. :)

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
from what i heard on 1040 the big events will still be at the PC including the teddy bear toss, apparently the kids anti-bullying flash mob, and playoffs.

I heard Bro Jake say that this mention, except for the Playoffs part. Memorial Cup for sure, if and when they host again.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Really good for me. I'll probably go more often than I have in the past, albeit the Giants don't look like a spectacle by any stretch, but the WHL does have good hockey and some prospects to keep an eye on.

Butcher

Dec 7, 2013
Won't be going to any giants games in Langley. No transit options and an hour one way in the evening rush.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Won't be going to any giants games in Langley. No transit options and an hour one way in the evening rush.

This is the problem for a large group of people no matter where it is. The problem here is how the area of Vancouver is laid, although it has to be due to the mountains and the river.

A city like Calgary wouldn't have this issue because people can arrive from any which direction to any part of the city. There are a limited number of directions (which are usually congested) to get anywhere.

I like the idea for two reasons. One is the fact that it hasn't been working much over the last few years, so might as well try something different. Two is the fact that the Giants market is fairly different than the Canucks, it's more about families, kids, local businesses, local hockey fans (as opposed to professional sports fans, of which I consider myself). People that often don't have the means or ability to attend many Canucks games.

I think it's a smart move and I hope it pays off, especially to the point where they make significant expansions to the LEC, which it sounds like they can do.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
The beginning of the end for the Giants. Placing a team in a small, freeway based suburb with no accessible transit pretty much dooms you to the local yokels.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
The beginning of the end for the Giants. Placing a team in a small, freeway based suburb with no accessible transit pretty much dooms you to the local yokels.

Hardly.

The majority of their core fan base comes from South of the Fraser. They're going to draw more fans from Surrey, Langley, Ridge and Abby. They'll be fine. Their demographic is geared towards families. Most of which drive, especially minor hockey families.

But for what it's worth, the 555 bus is a 22 minute ride from Lougheed Town Centre.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Hardly.

The majority of their core fan base comes from South of the Fraser. They're going to draw more fans from Surrey, Langley, Ridge and Abby. They'll be fine. Their demographic is geared towards families. Most of which drive, especially minor hockey families.

But for what it's worth, the 555 bus is a 22 minute ride from Lougheed Town Centre.

Lougheed town Center where dat?

Families and suburban hockey fans were the plan in Abbotsford too and failed because no one west of the river will cross that river.

earl grey

all the best posts
Apr 21, 2013
It's good. It's right in my backyard almost, so will be going to a few games for sure.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013

I don't know if it means the end of the Giants; pretty sure it's the final sign that the Stealth lacrosse team is done. The LEC has sucked up so many sports events - HS basketball championships, national boxla (minto) championships... I liked the Coliseum and it had so many memories, but all things must end. I thought Toigo was happy to have the Spot get access at the PNE. I won't be going but I prefer the local junior A anyways.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Im actually a little saddened by this. I live in the valley and am happy i will go to way more games but im really dissapointed for the history, the faithful, the Coliseum and staff and the team name...are they Langley or Vancouver now?

I think its a shame.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Families and suburban hockey fans were the plan in Abbotsford too and failed because no one west of the river will cross that river.
This is nonsense. Abbotsford failed for a host of reasons, including a completely nutty arena lease plan, but the largest being hardly anyone in the Lower Mainland gives a rip about the Calgary Flames. Whenever the Canucks farm team visited, crowds were larger. The goal in Abbotsford from the start should have been to attract major junior, especially after the Bruins left Chilliwack.

Giants are a different ballgame. The Surrey/Langley area is growing at rates never seen before and there isn't a lot of quality, affordable entertainment in communities south of the Fraser for people with young kids. This is a smart strategic move for the Giants when the number of young families are declining in the city of Vancouver. They're going where the people are.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
This is nonsense. Abbotsford failed for a host of reasons, including a completely nutty arena lease plan
Was a great move by the Flames though from their POV - if you can get a city to essentially 'foot the bill'/'pay the expenses' - who the heck cares. Course if you happen to be a taxpayer of Abby....

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Lougheed town Center where dat?

So you complain about transit options but don't know that Lougheed Town Centre is a skytrain station? Ok then.

And as Free Edler already said Abby failed because their lease agreement with the city and their affiliation with the Flames. Not because of transit.

Im actually a little saddened by this. I live in the valley and am happy i will go to way more games but im really dissapointed for the history, the faithful, the Coliseum and staff and the team name...are they Langley or Vancouver now?

I think its a shame.

Vancouver.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Almost walking distance for me.

I've been to a couple junior games at the LEC, it's a great place to watch games. I'm not a huge WHL fan but will catch a few games to see top prospects.

I'm almost as close. Really only a 4-5 min drive for me. But what excited me is all of the supporting activities attached to the arena. I know for me I can pop in for a workout, then the game. I could take my daughter to the playground then catch the game. There's fields for pickup games, area's to BBQ (tailgate), play baseball, throw the football etc. Maybe we could get a bunch of guys here to play some stick puck before the game. Anyway you slice it you can make a day out of it and plan a bunch of pre-game stuff.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam

The arena is located on 200th street which is a main hub for transit. It's about a 2 min drive from HWY #1. If getting there is your problem it's 100x easier than Vancouver.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00