Proposal: Vancouver cap relief from Buffalo

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
He's 6'1'' 227 lbs. He has an elite blend of size and speed. Yes, he is not a great player now but he still probably gets 20 goals this yrs in a normal 82 game season (please don't reply with he had 17 goals not 20 I get that). Again that's why I say he has a high ceiling. There is a reason he was the 6th pick, despite it being a bad pick there is a reason why and that is his size and speed. He's not a player the Canucks would want to sell low on despite his shortcomings.
You’re high on him. I’m not. You think he has a high ceiling. I think he’s bumping into the ceiling already. Let’s shake hands and leave it at that.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
You’re high on him. I’m not. You think he has a high ceiling. I think he’s bumping into the ceiling already. Let’s shake hands and leave it at that.

I agree. He has had an opportunity playing with some good players and didn’t do much.

I don’t see him getting any better on another team....I don’t see it happening.

Reactions: Qwijibo

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
I'm actually not even high on him, I doubt he develops but there is a part of me that could see him with a new coach (he's been coached by Green for about 6 yrs in a row now dating back to his time in AHL) turing into a 25-30 goal scorer who just wrecks havoc.

I don't love him because his hockey IQ is low and his commitment hasn't been great but get him out of his hometown with a new coach and given he is a bit older and maybe mature I could see him becoming a good player.

He can score out of nothing and make plays almost no one else can make now.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Hmm....

Demko + Sutter

for

Montour?

I'm probably alone in this, but I think that works well as a base.

Tangently related: Out of curiosity, what's the feeling on Miller? I've had a few Sabres fans (I think) mention in passing he would be a sell low guy, is that true?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Tangently related: Out of curiosity, what's the feeling on Miller? I've had a few Sabres fans (I think) mention in passing he would be a sell low guy, is that true?

I don’t think Suter is the right person.

I think Buffalo might be looking for a center who is strong defensively but can also show offense.. this player would be in buffalo longer than 1 yr.

Suter doesn’t fit this role.

The top 3 lines might look something like this

Skinner-Eichel-Thompson
Kahun-xxx-Reinhart
Olofsson-Staal-Cozens

Reactions: Cogburn

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington

I hear ya, I’m usually alone with my trade ideas. Lol. I really like Miller and hope he is retained as our number 3 RHD behind Risto and Joker. Miller sat in the box a ton early mainly because of the surprising play of Joker. Really like Montour’s mobility and skating. I have season tickets right down behind the Sabres net so I see the RHD up close and personal.

Reactions: Cogburn

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I don’t think Suter is the right person.

I think Buffalo might be looking for a center who is strong defensively but can also show offense.. this player would be in buffalo longer than 1 yr.

Suter doesn’t fit this role.

The top 3 lines might look something like this

Skinner-Eichel-Thompson
Kahun-xxx-Reinhart
Olofsson-Staal-Cozens

So more a 2 C rather than a 3 C. That works.

To be clear though, my complaint is more to do with his cap hit then his offensive or defensive play.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I hear ya, I’m usually alone with my trade ideas. Lol. I really like Miller and hope he is retained as our number 3 RHD behind Risto and Joker. Miller sat in the box a ton early mainly because of the surprising play of Joker. Really like Montour’s mobility and skating. I have season tickets right down behind the Sabres net so I see the RHD up close and personal.

Well that's a solid spot for the eye test. I hope you'll be watching from your spot soon.

But we're not quite at "cap dump trade-off" territory yet then. I was thinking Sutter or Roussel if they would help Buffalo more than us, but sounds like Miller holds a little more value yet.

Reactions: Team Cozens

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
To Buffalo:

Loui Eriksson (Van pays 20-21 bonus, $2m salary retained in 21-22)
Jake Virtanen
2021 2nd

To Vancouver:
Brandon Montour and 2021 4th, OR
Colin Miller and 2021 5th

Buffalo gets thirteenth forward and RW help.

Vancouver gets big cap relief and an NHL defenseman. Play him, trade him, sit him or send flowers.

Offer good only until QOs are due.

No chance in hell.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
ooof this is bad for buffalo.

Montour for Virtanen and a pick is fine, but not with Erikssons anchor deal with 2 years left attached.
will cost a 1st to move most likely

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
See below, but IF Vancouver is retaining half on Eriksson and his actual salary commitment is only $1m this year and $2m next year, and IF Buffalo is going to be short of the cap this year, then they're only taking on a small financial commitment to make this deal with no worries about cap hit.

Montour is an offensive D-man who didn't produce in Buffalo, so there's good reason why people are speculating whether he'd get a QO. I think he will, there's a bit of upside there, but he's probably worth a bit less than Virtanen.

The Sabres need a middle six power forward at RW, Virtanen suits them perfectly. A much better lineup fit than Montour. Throw in a 2nd and I think this is a good deal for Buffalo.

-----------

IF OP means only a 33% retention on Eriksson then it's still an okay deal for Buffalo, but they can get better terms. There will be more clubs looking to unload cap hits then there are teams willing to take the other side of the deal. Vancouver should pay more.

His total salary in 2021-22 is $4m, with a $6m cap hit. Correct me if I'm wrong but salary retention is a percentage that applies to both salary and caphit, so if you are retaining 50% of the salary, it's $2m, and you're also retaining a $3m cap hit (50%). Is that what you meant?

Clueless

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
ooof this is bad for buffalo.

Montour for Virtanen and a pick is fine, but not with Erikssons anchor deal with 2 years left attached.
will cost a 1st to move most likely

If Marleau cost a 1st with 1 year left in a pre-Covid market, I'd venture Eriksson will cost more than just a 1st to move.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I think it’s time to take eriksson out of the equation. Only way I see him being traded is for a similarly bad contract (maybe one that only saves Canucks a little cap).

Maybe time to put more focus on trading Sutter (1yr @ $4.375M). Still a “useful” bottom 6 centre or wing that can bring leadership or kill penalties.

Maybe a basis of Sutter & Virtanen?

Canucks will definitely not be moving Demko if Marky is walking!

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think it’s time to take eriksson out of the equation. Only way I see him being traded is for a similarly bad contract (maybe one that only saves Canucks a little cap).

Maybe time to put more focus on trading Sutter (1yr @ $4.375M). Still a “useful” bottom 6 centre or wing that can bring leadership or kill penalties.

Maybe a basis of Sutter & Virtanen?

Canucks will definitely not be moving Demko if Marky is walking!

As said earlier...no interest in Suter

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I'd take Sutter as a replacement (downgrade, but still a replacement) for Larsson, but Vancouver would have to retain.

He doesn’t fit the to,e if the team is looking at a defensive 2C..he’d working if it’s a pure 3C checking line but still need retention.

But I’d prefer the look at players with more than 1 yr for a checking center.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Nucks might be able to move LE after next season for a similar Staal type deal. With 2 years remaining there is no hope of moving him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad