Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
[neutral fan here]

Hmm..

Sutter+Virtanen+2nd

for

Montour?

I can see how that's slightly better for the Sabres, because you get a bottom six C out of it. But take note that Sutter without retention ($4.375m) is a lot more total cash than half retained Eriksson ($2.5m total), even though Eriksson is two years instead of one.

I still think there should be a deal here involving Eriksson. His salary is less than 50% of his cap hit so there should theoretically be a price the Canucks can pay to send him to Buffalo that would benefit both teams. Are you just disagreeing on what the price is?
Hmm....

Demko + Sutter

for

Montour?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Hmm....

Demko + Sutter

for

Montour?

I don't think the Canucks would consider that.

The meat of the sandwich is Virtanen - that middle six goal scoring power forward at RW that a lot of clubs could use (I'm guessing the Sabres are interested). If they aren't interested I just think the Canucks look elsewhere. I don't think they go throwing in more valuable players.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I don't think the Canucks would consider that.

The meat of the sandwich is Virtanen - that middle six goal scoring power forward at RW that a lot of clubs could use (I'm guessing the Sabres are interested). If they aren't interested I just think the Canucks look elsewhere. I don't think they go throwing in more valuable players.
Going to be very interesting to see how teams manage the cap. Very few teams will be interested in adding a Sutter or Eriksson. There is going to be a painful decisions made. It’s not just Vancouver.

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
To Buffalo:

Loui Eriksson (Van pays 20-21 bonus, $2m salary retained in 21-22)
Jake Virtanen
2021 2nd

To Vancouver:
Brandon Montour and 2021 4th, OR
Colin Miller and 2021 5th

Buffalo gets thirteenth forward and RW help.

Vancouver gets big cap relief and an NHL defenseman. Play him, trade him, sit him or send flowers.

Offer good only until QOs are due.
Why are you adding more useless crap to this deal?
Please you want to get rid of the anchor you gotta give something up and some value would be helpful.

I’ll counter, we will retain 50% on Kyle Okposo and you give up your top prospect.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
[neutral fan here]

Hmm..

Sutter+Virtanen+2nd

for

Montour?

I can see how that's slightly better for the Sabres, because you get a bottom six C out of it. But take note that Sutter without retention ($4.375m) is a lot more total cash than half retained Eriksson ($2.5m total), even though Eriksson is two years instead of one.

I still think there should be a deal here involving Eriksson. His salary is less than 50% of his cap hit so there should theoretically be a price the Canucks can pay to send him to Buffalo that would benefit both teams. Are you just disagreeing on what the price is?

Eriksson's contract is a massive boat anchor. Marleau, a significantly more productive player with only 1 year left, cost a 1st to offload back before Covid tanked league revenue and flattened the cap. So maybe there's a price where a deal could be made, but it's sky high.

The Sabres may or may not be cutting pay roll. In either case, we're not trying to ice a fringe AHL team that's bumping its head against the cap ceiling.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Eriksson's contract is a massive boat anchor. Marleau, a significantly more productive player with only 1 year left, cost a 1st to offload back before Covid tanked league revenue and flattened the cap. So maybe there's a price where a deal could be made, but it's sky high.

The Sabres may or may not be cutting pay roll. In either case, we're not trying to ice a fringe AHL team that's bumping its head against the cap ceiling.

In the OP's proposal with retention, Eriksson would have less cash owed to him than Marleau did.

And Virtanen is definitely worth a first rounder. It's in the realm of deals that have been done.

What I will say might be different here is that there are a lot of clubs struggling financially so the price has changed a little, and possibly dramatically. The Sabres might have better offers, or perhaps they can't afford to do it either.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
In the OP's proposal with retention, Eriksson would have less cash owed to him than Marleau did.

And Virtanen is definitely worth a first rounder. It's in the realm of deals that have been done.

What I will say might be different here is that there are a lot of clubs struggling financially so the price has changed a little, and possibly dramatically. The Sabres might have better offers, or perhaps they can't afford to do it either.

The cash is irrelevant. Vancouver is trying to buy cap space. The price for that is inarguably high in normal circumstances. Current circumstances are far from normal. The value in OP isn't even close.

Reactions: Luckylarry

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The cash is irrelevant. Vancouver is trying to buy cap space. The price for that is inarguably high in normal circumstances. Current circumstances are far from normal. The value in OP isn't even close.

Go tell that to the Pegulas.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Yup. Benning sign a bunch of really toxic contracts, and now he’s stuck with them.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Matleau was owed $2.25M for one season. Eriksson is owed more in salary over 2 yrs.

Virtanrn is a former 1st round pick, but he isn’t worth a First now. He might not get QOed by Vancouver. If he files for arbitration, Vancouver likely doesn’t accept what he wins.

Buffalo is not a dumping ground forothers cap dumps.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Go tell that to the Pegulas.

Acquiring Eriksson costs more money than not acquiring him. I'd love to see the mental gymnastics around why paying any amount for a washed up fringe NHLer is a good use of the money they're willing to spend. We're not struggling to reach the cap floor over here. Eriksson has a crapload of negative value to every team in the league, including the ~3 with spare cap space laying around. If you want to dump him, you're gonna pay through the nose for it or take back a contract nearly as bad.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Matleau was owed $2.25M for one season. Eriksson is owed more in salary over 2 yrs.

Virtanrn is a former 1st round pick, but he isn’t worth a First now. He might not get QOed by Vancouver. If he files for arbitration, Vancouver likely doesn’t accept what he wins.

Buffalo is not a dumping ground forothers cap dumps.

I don't know what the going price for cap space will be, but I'm pretty confident that there would be a long list of teams looking for Virtanen if he was available.

I'm not a Canucks fan, don't accuse me of wanting to dump my teams players. There are just not that many power forward RWs out there that can score 20 goals from the third line. That's easily worth a 1st rounder. Not a Sabres 1st, but certainly a pick in the 20s and maybe a little higher.

Edit: Just looking at the Sabres roster, are you really going to tell me that the Sabres aren't that interested in Virtanen? He scored more on Vancouver's third line than anybody did on Buffalo's second line (he'd be 4th on the team in goals). You don't have to like the deal but I just think this is fake disinterest in the player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hasekperreault23

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I don't know what the going price for cap space will be, but I'm pretty confident that there would be a long list of teams looking for Virtanen if he was available.

I'm not a Canucks fan, don't accuse me of wanting to dump my teams players. There are just not that many power forward RWs out there that can score 20 goals from the third line. That's easily worth a 1st rounder. Not a Sabres 1st, but certainly a pick in the 20s and maybe a little higher.

Edit: Just looking at the Sabres roster, are you really going to tell me that the Sabres aren't that interested in Virtanen? He scored more on Vancouver's third line than anybody did on Buffalo's second line (he'd be 4th on the team in goals). You don't have to like the deal but I just think this is fake disinterest in the player.

Givrn where Virtanrn was drafted..he’s a bust. He will not get a 1st on his own.

He’s a mid 20s ES pt producer. I haven’t looked at his stats away from he top 2 lines which he played some eith.

That is a replacement level production that teams can get from their internal prospect production in the same role.

Remrmber this deal also includes a cap dump.

Virtanrn value is around the same as another change of scenery disappointment

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
I just don’t see the logic in throwing the term “elite” around when you’re discussing a bottom 6 guy with massive holes in his game.
Because his skating is "elite" and at his size if he develops some sense he could be an effective top 6 forward.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Because his skating is "elite" and at his size if he develops some sense he could be an effective top 6 forward.
He’s 6’1”. That doesn’t make him particularly special in the NHL. But fine. Hes an elite skater. That doesn’t mean he’ll be anything more then he currently is. Especially if he continues with his attitude of entitlement.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Givrn where Virtanrn was drafted..he’s a bust. He will not get a 1st on his own.

He’s a mid 20s ES pt producer. I haven’t looked at his stats away from he top 2 lines which he played some eith.

That is a replacement level production that teams can get from their internal prospect production in the same role.

No one cares where he was drafted.

I don't think you have a good sense of what "replacement level production" is.

26 5v5 points ranked well in this shortened season. Just 112 forwards (mostly the top liners and some 2Cs) did better. Virtanen was among a much smaller number of middle six wings to score at such a pace, and he did it from the third line. His most common linemates were Gaudette and Roussel.

Reinhart and Eichel were the only Sabres to get more than 19 5v5 points.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
No one cares where he was drafted.

I don't think you have a good sense of what "replacement level production" is.

26 5v5 points ranked well in this shortened season. Just 112 forwards (mostly the top liners and some 2Cs) did better. Virtanen was among a much smaller number of middle six wings to score at such a pace, and he did it from the third line. His most common linemates were Gaudette and Roussel.

Reinhart and Eichel were the only Sabres to get more than 19 5v5 points.

Mid 20s was his abs over the last 3 years...not a shortened season.

That production doesn’t earn you a 1st round pick in a trade alone. It isn’t attractive to be associated with a cap dump.

On the Sabres he might not even be protected in the ED.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018

Not discussing trade but I love virtanen's physicality and skating. Plays a heavy game which Kruger wants would love to have him for say a 2nd rounder and maybe someone like Aspland

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Not discussing trade but I love virtanen's physicality and skating. Plays a heavy game which Kruger wants would love to have him for say a 2nd rounder and maybe someone like Aspland

Actuslly, more often than not he doesn’t use his size. It’s one of the things about his play that drives Canucks fans crazy.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
He’s 6’1”. That doesn’t make him particularly special in the NHL. But fine. Hes an elite skater. That doesn’t mean he’ll be anything more then he currently is. Especially if he continues with his attitude of entitlement.
He's 6'1'' 227 lbs. He has an elite blend of size and speed. Yes, he is not a great player now but he still probably gets 20 goals this yrs in a normal 82 game season (please don't reply with he had 17 goals not 20 I get that). Again that's why I say he has a high ceiling. There is a reason he was the 6th pick, despite it being a bad pick there is a reason why and that is his size and speed. He's not a player the Canucks would want to sell low on despite his shortcomings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad