Proposal: Vancouver cap relief from Buffalo

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
To Buffalo:

Loui Eriksson (Van pays 20-21 bonus, $2m salary retained in 21-22)
Jake Virtanen
2021 2nd

To Vancouver:
Brandon Montour and 2021 4th, OR
Colin Miller and 2021 5th

Buffalo gets thirteenth forward and RW help.

Vancouver gets big cap relief and an NHL defenseman. Play him, trade him, sit him or send flowers.

Offer good only until QOs are due.

Last edited:

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
To Buffalo:

Loui Eriksson ($2m salary retained in 21-22)
Jake Virtanen
2021 2nd

To Vancouver:

Vancouver gets big cap relief and an NHL defenseman. Play him, trade him, sit him or send flowers.

For a $6 M cap hit? No longer an NHLer. He has massive negative value even at a $4 M cap it. Virtanen and 2nd would be close to equal for Montour who is an RFA and Miller signed long-term at a tad high cap hit of $3.875 but only two years. Just no way on Eriksson without adding more. He's got two years left. You take Okposo the other way with no retained salary.

Reactions: hmc1987

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
As a Canuck’s fan I’ve come to accept Benning’s boat anchor will drag the team down for the two more seasons he has on his horrific contract. (Puke emoji)

Dietpepsi

Jun 27, 2015
You guys don't get it, the sabres take on the extra salary
and they give them Brandon Montour and a 4th

for a 2nd round pick

When you put it that way, it makes much more sense for Buffalo

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Adams talked about wanting cap flexibility moving forward.

Making a trade that takes on a cap dump is no way to add cap flexibility. So, I doubt Adams has any interest in a move like this.

Reactions: Ciao

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
To Buffalo:

Jake Virtanen
2021 2nd

To Vancouver:

Add Demko
Sabres add Hutton

Reactions: hmc1987

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
I am going out on a limb and Say you are a huge Canucks fan. This is simply awful for Buffalo.

Every team is hurting financially with the pandemic. I highly doubt any team is taking on cap dumps from other teams at this time.
That's where there could be some intrigue to Eriksson's contract. He is only owed 5 mil over that last two yrs with a cap hit at 6. A small market team might see that as an opportunity to pick up an asset like Virtanen while also ensuring they hit the cap floor. Don't see us picking up Montour out of the deal though.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
See below, but IF Vancouver is retaining half on Eriksson and his actual salary commitment is only $1m this year and $2m next year, and IF Buffalo is going to be short of the cap this year, then they're only taking on a small financial commitment to make this deal with no worries about cap hit.

Montour is an offensive D-man who didn't produce in Buffalo, so there's good reason why people are speculating whether he'd get a QO. I think he will, there's a bit of upside there, but he's probably worth a bit less than Virtanen.

The Sabres need a middle six power forward at RW, Virtanen suits them perfectly. A much better lineup fit than Montour. Throw in a 2nd and I think this is a good deal for Buffalo.

-----------

IF OP means only a 33% retention on Eriksson then it's still an okay deal for Buffalo, but they can get better terms. There will be more clubs looking to unload cap hits then there are teams willing to take the other side of the deal. Vancouver should pay more.

To Buffalo:

Jake Virtanen
2021 2nd

To Vancouver:

His total salary in 2021-22 is $4m, with a $6m cap hit. Correct me if I'm wrong but salary retention is a percentage that applies to both salary and caphit, so if you are retaining 50% of the salary, it's $2m, and you're also retaining a $3m cap hit (50%). Is that what you meant?

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Or what about Sutter & Virtanen? We can eat a little salary (Sutter) and/or take some back (as long as it’s short term).

Keep in mind we’d give you more to take eriksson as he’s the main focus. Has to be a way to make one of these work.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
To Buffalo:

Jake Virtanen
2021 2nd

To Vancouver:

Buffalo is not a cap dump site.

Montour is not a cap dump.

Virtanen and Eriksson and 21 1st for Miller and 21 4th.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Easy no from buffalo
For Miller and a 5th has to be getting close. You get a very good young player with elite skillset and a 2nd round pick. Youre not up against the cap so Eriksson's cap hit isn;t a huge worry. He'll only make 5 mil in actual dollars over the last two yrs also which might entice cash strapped ownership.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Or what about Sutter & Virtanen? We can eat a little salary (Sutter) and/or take some back (as long as it’s short term).

Keep in mind we’d give you more to take eriksson as he’s the main focus. Has to be a way to make one of these work.

If we can't re-sign Larsson, Sutter with retention would be...well, a clear downgrade, but a tolerable replacement.

Buffalo isn't gonna take pure cap dumps. The goal here isn't to build a shitty but somehow still expensive team, and Jason Botterill isn't our GM anymore.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
For Miller and a 5th has to be getting close. You get a very good young player with elite skillset and a 2nd round pick. Youre not up against the cap so Eriksson's cap hit isn;t a huge worry. He'll only make 5 mil in actual dollars over the last two yrs also which might entice cash strapped ownership.

Virtanen is "elite"?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Detroit fans are somewhat willing to take Eriksson for (what I consider) a cheaper price.

I'd start by removing Montour/Miller from the trade, and we (Vancouver) will still probably need to add something. And this is from someone that thinks the world of Virtanen.

I just don't think there is a fit here.

If Buffalo is looking to fill out it's bottom six with veterans though, Sutter and (arguably) Baertschi can fill roles and are only on one year contracts.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
To Buffalo:

Jake Virtanen
2021 2nd

To Vancouver:

Buffalo isn't getting enough.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Buffalo is reported to have an internal cap in the low $70s. They aren't taking cap dumps. Every dollar they save now means one more dollar they can spend later.

Any cap dump during the pandemic is going to cost a lot more than normal. And the making the cap floor argument is BS. Buffalo has 10 players signed for $47 million. They can easily make the floor by filling out the rest of the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad