GDT: Vancouver Canucks vs. Dallas Stars | 7:00PM PST | SNET

Status
Not open for further replies.

WishfulThinker

Jun 10, 2021
Green seems to have given up on the 'conservative' experiment temporarily. Now we are back to the run-and-gun gameplay, pray that your offense clicks, and your goaltender is timely.

If they stick with this they need to get Myers to play in a way that manages his lack of processing speed. Pretty evident he's a guy who plays alot better in a slower and boring system. As a whole I think they are better served to coming up with a defensive system that supports their offensive pressure, not one that tries to get them to play with their hands tied.

The combo of JT Miller showing the powerplay that it's possible to shoot and a Swiss cheese Khudobin is hopefully what they needed to get going.

The PK still bleeding goals is still largely a lack of coaching in my opinion. Lots of mistakes that could be cleaned up through clear instructions and communication. Losing faceoffs isn't helping either.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
If Jake was still on the team, Podkolzin would have been breathing down his neck for that that 3rd line RW spot.

Honestly, Jake shouldn't have been on the team regardless of his behaviour off the ice. Pod is so much better that it isn't even funny. I don't want to sound dramatic but would've set myself on fire if he was still here this season.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Green seems to have given up on the 'conservative' experiment temporarily. Now we are back to the run-and-gun gameplay, pray that your offense clicks, and your goaltender is timely.

It's the way this team is built, it was foolish to try any other way. I honestly thought Khudobin was shaky tonight, and the PP is still stagnant as f***, but it was nice to see a sign of life.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I don't know what it is but I keep believing our top players are going to put on a show one of these nights so I'm going to keep predicting it til it happens.

5-1 Canucks

Nice! Was waiting for the opportunity to quote myself. :eek:

We were horrendous defensively but all our big boys got some cookies.

Myers was in full drunk giraffe mode tonight.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
5 on 5

TIrIKDn.png

All situations

1VOh3o9.png

Last edited:

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Its so hard to talk poorly regarding Hughes after a 3 point game but how many times did he fire passes off target or just cant handle a pass? Like 6 or 7 times.... Guys like Makar, Fox, Josi, even a tier below like Brodin, Trouba etc. just dont do that. Those types of errors are like 1 a game..maybe 2 from those types of Dmen... It may not be a reflection of Hughes.. more from Coaching not holding players accountable.. players need to be sharp.. passing needs to be on point. Coaching has to drill that home... its too much of a "Pond hockey" type mentality. They need some damnn structure

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Player summary for me

Excellent - Demko Miller Horvat Hughes Garland
Demko saved at least 3 easy goals is rapidly becoming a star. Miller carried the offense and had some solid PK work made direct solid plays all night and was on a mission. Horvat finally broke out tonight and was a load to handle for the Stars...still needs to be better at defending his zone but his line drove the bus 5v5. Hughes is just simply tilting the ice having a great year and Garland was buzzing and creating havoc plus that no look feed...awesome stuff

good - Pettersson Pearson Hoglander Podkolzin
Pettersson still needs better puck protection and to be a 5 v 5 threat but made some strides again and had 3 points. Pearson after a bit of a slow start was feeding off Bo well and really helping defensively and in the cycle. Their line led the charge. Hoglander is really fun to watch when he's buzzing like tonight. was giving Dallas fits trying to contain him. Podkolzin was really looking good until that k on k by Faksa which took some steam out of him. The goal was a complete snipe show. pisses me off no one defends that type of crap with some push back. Hope he's ok was glad he finished the game and got some pop in his stride back later on

ok - Boeser Poolman Hamonic Lammikko
Boeser was completely disinterested in playing any defense at all in this one and had some careless puck management. Was ok because i though he moved the puck well for the most part on offense and was a good net front presence....hopefully the Chaisson troll by Green is finally over. Poolman and Hamonic both had a couple moments where they got pushed back a little easy and put pucks into trouble and had it come back at us but both were strong on the cycle and down low and play within themselves for the most part. Lammikko had a fairly tidy game even though he added nothing offensively and got pinned a few times. His wingers were not helping today.

Poor - OEL Myers Dickinson Dowling Bailey Burroughs
OEL well lets hope this is not where the shine comes off because he was pretty damn poor tonight. Passing was off and his defensive positioning and reads were not good either. Myers was mostly the same although i will give Myers credit for getting stuck in at least and some good PK work. Dickinson has been a ghost outside of a couple games. I liked this pick up as he always seemed like a decent complimentary player when i watched him in Dallas but i'm not sure what he brings here yet and his hands have been terrible. Dowling i kinda like as a 13/14 guy. Has a head for the game and can surprise from time to time with clever offensive plays. Tonight he was not sharp and he has to be to have any chance in the NHL Burroughs i like his moxy but the NHL is definitely a stretch for him and Bailey has such a great athletic package. Size Speed a decent shot but man oh man was tonight's game a disaster. Just completely clueless. Deserved to be benched

Team summary

Wins a Win but you wont win enough to be a playoff team playing like that. This team refuses to make the opposition fight for time and space and the 3rd forward to support the defense is mostly nowhere to be found or too slow to pick it up. Liked the adjustments in movement and aggressiveness with both the PP and PK. Lastly we are so friggen soft and easy to play against. I really cannot wait for the team to play Calgary....that should be really interesting with the characters they have and the way Sutter has them competing for space

Last edited:

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Its so hard to talk poorly regarding Hughes after a 3 point game but how many times did he fire passes off target or just cant handle a pass? Like 6 or 7 times.... Guys like Makar, Fox, Josi, even a tier below like Brodin, Trouba etc. just dont do that. Those types of errors are like 1 a game..maybe 2 from those types of Dmen... It may not be a reflection of Hughes.. more from Coaching not holding players accountable.. players need to be sharp.. passing needs to be on point. Coaching has to drill that home... its too much of a "Pond hockey" type mentality. They need some damnn structure
Pond hockey is the best we can expect from this team until real changes happen.

Throwback

Sep 12, 2014
Was pretty awesome to go to the game. Glad the PP got clicking and Petterson looked a lot better, but PK was still pretty bad. Structure seemed out the window. It's exciting but it's going to be hard to maintain that. That being said, playing tighter defence had pretty mixed results too. Happy with the win.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
After four plus seasons of Green behind the bench, I'm almost beginning to believe that the die is cast as far as a lot of these young players are concerned. I mean guys like Boeser, Hughes, Pettersson, Hoglander and even Horvat have basically never played for any other coach.

They can't play defense, because they've never had it demanded of them. It was all offense, all the time. I think it would take a new coach at least a couple of seasons to implement a defensive system that the players could understand and embrace.

So it's probably 'run and gun' hockey from here on in. It's fun to watch, but relies primarily on a lethal pp and a goaltender who can cover up for all the defensive lapses with goaltending that borders on brilliant most of the time.

It likely won't win you anything, but a few scoring bonuses for the players. And it's entertaining as hell on a lot of nights. But expecting this team to be in the Jennings conversation for goals allowed, is likely a pipe dream. And it's overall team defense that wins championships.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
The PK still bleeding goals is still largely a lack of coaching in my opinion. Lots of mistakes that could be cleaned up through clear instructions and communication. Losing faceoffs isn't helping either.

I've never seen a PK operate the way they're running it. It's asinine. It looks like they've got one guy that pressures up high regardless of puck movement. He just chases up high. The other forward stays down low, protecting the wings i guess? He ends up doing nothing down there, and the high forward obviously can't chase fast enough allowing the point men to take clear shots at will.

Traditionally, the two PK forwards trade off as the puck moves from point to point, but for some reason we're not playing it like that. It's really bazaar and not surprising that we're leaking goals against on the PK.

Reactions: Fatass and Indiana

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
need some rhd centerman to help the PK. its been dreadful. sutter might not even play at all this season..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad