GDT: Vancouver Canucks vs. Dallas Stars | 7:00PM PST | SNET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
there’s no way you genuinely believe their plan would have been to sign markstrom to a five year deal and dump him a season later
then why not just give him the trade protection he wanted?

I think the plan was to re-sign Markstrom for insurance in case Demko didn't take the next step. If he does, then you trade one of them before the expansion draft.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I never suggested they planned to move Markstrom at a specific time in the future or necessarily at all. I'm saying they clearly intended to account for the possibility that Demko would develop into a star (which ended up happening) and didn't sign Markstrom largely because he insisted on terms that would have made it difficult to trade him if this happened (which appears in hindsight to have been good judgement). Twisting this into evidence the team didn't understand Demko could be this good and doesn't deserve whatever basic credit they are owed for the chances they've given him is disingenuous.
you actually didn’t say they accounted for the possibility

you said they chose him as the starter

you’re the one being disingenuous lmao

Reactions: Ginger Papa

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Only players I didn’t like today were Bailey and Myers

Lammiko, Dowling and Dickinson were meh

Hoglander had no points but dude was buzzing all game

my favourite player for us was Khudobin for the other team and Demko for us respectively. Nobody else played well defensively at all or seemed even interested in doing so

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Really a matter of whether Demko can play well enough or we can score enough to overcome the near endless defensive gaffes. In spite of score might say they were fortunate to win given the number of critical saves Demko made. All the dmen were forced into major blunders and this was one of the most loosely played games you'll see at the NHL level. Team can't win consistently playing like this

Good

Horvat - much better game. More his pace with a lot of down low work at both ends of the rink. Skated better and movement on the PP was a lot better. Line had some dominant shifts.

Hoglander - deserved more results given the effort he put in. If they can ever slot this player into the right situation he is going to produce points

Demko - stole maybe 3 or 4 goals away from the Stars. Again main reason they won.

Miller - led the PP back to some respectability. Huge offensive weapon in this game.

Podkolzin - starting to find his way. Got a hell of shot.

Bad

Poolman - can't hold the blue line against speed and getting really backed in. Puck movement very mediocre

Burroughs - another player who ends up playing defense from his crease way too much.. So little range of coverage and often too slow in moving the puck and team loses any tempo. Beginning to look like the AHLer he is.

Dickinson - is so limited offensively and doesn't seem to have the wheels to be that good defensively. Never gets any pressure on the puck on the PK and seems to never win a faceoff. Has little to no positive impact on the play offensively or defensively.

Bailey - didn't play much after horrible coverage on the 2nd Stars goal. Good example of the the types of gaffes made by the team. You have players like Bailey in the lineup who aren't really NHL players because thy make mistakes like he did in the neutral zone. But you also have vets that make mistakes when they start pressing to keep the team in the games.

Others

Pettersson - got some points but again looked physically weak. Was still getting eliminated from the play too easily and bobbling the puck in key situations. Shot gave you some hope he is finding his game but until he can maintain a more solid physical presence he will struggle.

Myers - thought it was his worst performance to date. Sometimes he appears to have very low panic point and starts tossing the puck around and gets caught going one way while the puck is going the other way. Contributed to the open breakaways that Demko had to face as did OEL and the rest of the defense.

Last edited:

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
The only difference between this and the Nashville game on Friday is our PP got going.

0-5 vs 3-6. Our PK still sucks and Demko makes huge saves on 5v5, but at least he’s worth his money. 5M

and this team is better than 2017 because we’ve outplayed Nashville and Dallas. Not a bottom of the league, but no doubt we have a ton of depth at forward. You need defence in the playoffs though.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I wouldn't be surprised that they chose Demko over Markstrom, but I would be surprised that the team that just gave Tanner f***ing Pearson at 3.whatever million dollars an NTC, and had Jay Beagle at like three Jay Beagles' worth on an M-NTC was keen to retain Markstrom until he wanted a no-trade. Why would that be the one time ever that these guys have done that kind of succession planning?
Because they make sensible decisions occasionally. Acknowledging this doesn't undermine the conclusion shared by most of us that they've done a poor job overall, and pretending it never happens requires you to entertain beliefs that don't make sense.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Hoglander and Garland were f***ing great.

Will not mention Demko as he is just in God level right now.

That play when Garland had the puck on a string with 4 Dallas players desperately trying to check him was great. He and Hogs are great at retrieving and holding on to the puck, skilled and fiesty, great game by both. Demko needs no explanation, amazing.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
I MUCH prefer a separate PGT once the game is over. It's meant to be a place to analyze and contemplate what you have seen and come into the discussion with a fresh perspective. GDT's are for ranting and blowing off steam during the game.

That being said... great win by the team... actually saw what may looked like a unified strategy by each line. Taking baby steps towards having a system perhaps? ....Naw...jk...

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
That play when Garland had the puck on a string with 4 Dallas players desperately trying to check him was great. He and Hogs are great at retrieving and holding on to the puck, skilled and fiesty, great game by both. Demko needs no explanation, amazing.
The arena was also ready to explode when Hoglander dangled and then fed Tanner “Plumber” Pearson who couldnt finish his dinner.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
What I like seeing from Podz is his compete..a total team guy...Its a pity that Jake Virtanen didnt have a bit Podz in his play.

JV didn't have that in his life. I can't believe we sunk all that effort into him, and so many fans/media were so hopeful for him when he obviously didn't have the most important skill, which is a brain.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
JV didn't have that in his life. I can't believe we sunk all that effort into him, and so many fans/media were so hopeful for him when he obviously didn't have the most important skill, which is a brain.
If Jake was still on the team, Podkolzin would have been breathing down his neck for that that 3rd line RW spot.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
my favourite player for us was Khudobin for the other team and Demko for us respectively. Nobody else played well defensively at all or seemed even interested in doing so
Yeah it could have been better, but enjoy the win with lots of offense. Statistically the Canucks beat Dallas in a lot of categories. They gave up high danger chances, but they also created a lot of their own. In fact they outchanced Dallas 9-8 in high danger chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad