Rumor: Vancouver Canucks Ownership - Searching For Jim Benning Replacement

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
no but they do sideline guys. Jim and his "General Manager" door plaque could be shuffled off to a broom closet out of the way somewhere, while the new president runs everything.
C-XPs_LUIAAaI5P.jpg

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Does Vancouver hosting this years NHL entry Draft where the GM IS THE STAR OF THE SHOW,have any part in Benning getting the Boot?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Oh god forbid! That idiot should be run out of town along with Botch! You've got listen to JPat's pod cast with Botch. Botch acts like he's about twelve.
Botch Is f***ing great, This guy has been saying what diehard canucks fans want to be saying for years now.

Him and Jeff are two of them or if you’ve actually a realistic with this team, both are beauties

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Holland would be perfect.
In my opinion the guy was forced to make some really stupid things happen in Detroit when I’m pretty sure he didn’t want to do it.

I guess it’s similar to Jimbo in his first two years, but the problem is all the rest

megatron

Dec 11, 2016
That’s the way I see it as well..Canucks are looking for a new President..
I would agree with assessment. I dont think Benning is going anywhere. Instead the Canucks will find someone to replace Lindens role. Maybe Wiesbrod becomes president and the Canucks might look for an AGM.
Pure speculation on my part but I suspect Benning and Aqua have a great working relationship. Strong personalities like Gillis and Linden dont jive with Aqua. However a beta-male like Benning would get along great with Aqua. Aqua says "jump" Benning says "how high?"
I sincerely think Bennings option gets picked up regardless of how the Canucks do next season, and he surely isnt being fired this season or this off season.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I do think the Holland talk would be for President. I think he'd keep Benning and Co at least to start the 2019-20 season and then depending on how things go make a decision at that point.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Any president that comes into our organization would make it mission critical step one to replace Jim Benning. Nobody in their right mind who gets hired to oversee an organization would evaluate the short comings of the Canucks and think to themselves, wow our General Manager has got things under control. There is so clearly no direction for this team whatsoever.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
While I'd be very happy to have Benning gone, I worry, given his extension and the team doing about as well as could be reasonably hoped for this year, that a move just signifies that Aquaman still hasn't learned his lesson about a proper rebuild, and will continue to insist that the playoffs be the immediate goal

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
While I'd be very happy to have Benning gone, I worry, given his extension and the team doing about as well as could be reasonably hoped for this year, that a move just signifies that Aquaman still hasn't learned his lesson about a proper rebuild, and will continue to insist that the playoffs be the immediate goal
Good point but it's pretty depressing to think that the best case scenario with our meddling ownership might be to have one more year of Benning "rebuilding" by accident, as long as he fails to sign anyone in free agency and sits on his thumbs again all season so we generate another draft of high round picks.

That way when ownership brings in someone new and demands they compete, there's at least more assets.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
They need someone highly respected to come here and lay down the law to Aquilini. No interference will be tolerated!
Kind of like Lou Lamorello did in Toronto.
Holland would be a good choice as he has that type of clout.
Hopefully Aquaman realizes that he’s set the rebuild back about three years with his meddling and he’s cost his family money.
I actually think a good GM could turn things around reasonably quickly by getting rid of some dead weight and using the cap space on actual NHL players.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Oh god forbid! That idiot should be run out of town along with Botch! You've got listen to JPat's pod cast with Botch. Botch acts like he's about twelve.

He acts like a fan frustrated by a team that at some point in the next week or so will have lost 200+ games the last 4 seasons. Frustrated because it’s not relevant what supposed strategy is being employed the only explanation for that is shit management and things need to change.

I listened to half of the new podcast on my way back from work today and laughed as they talked about Tyson and the hockey hotbed of Springdale, Arkansas. Laughed at someone thinking there is a conspiracy involving a chicken company in Arkansas and the Canuck fan base. Laughed as well because that is where I play beer league twice a week!

It actually has a nice little hockey community (A and B leagues). Mostly thanks to Walmart who have the global head office in Fayetteville ( a few miles from Springdale) so there are a bunch of transplanted guys from the northern states, Canada and northeast states (if you do business with Walmart you have an office in the area...or you don’t do business with them).

Last edited:

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Benning is the bestest no matter what. No matter what Benning does it is good, and if it isn't good it is just so so, but it's definitely not bad and no one else could have done it better. Mike Gillis ruined this team and left it in a permanent state of disrepair and 6-10 years later it is still totally his fault. Plus Aqulinini tells Benning what to do so it's even less his fault.
Well when you put it that way.

But Nonis

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Because Benning created or defecated the burning pile of crap that did so "well"

member 290103

Well these rumours are good news. Really anyone outside of Benning would be an improvement, as long as that person is not John Wiesbrod. It's funny that Aqua may have clued in that this draft genius that Benning is being propped as up by the BenningBros is really not accurate. The draft is all on Judd Brackett - and they can just keep him and maybe get a GM that actually maybe wins a trade or signs a good UFA contract. Wouldn't that be a dream.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Holland would be perfect.
In my opinion the guy was forced to make some really stupid things happen in Detroit when I’m pretty sure he didn’t want to do it.

I guess it’s similar to Jimbo in his first two years, but the problem is all the rest
Forced to do what exactly?

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
There is not one Nonis player on this roster. Of course it is his fault.
Exactly the putz didn't give us any generational players, no grit, no mentors nothing nada nil. No wonder its taking Jimbo so long. If it takes 5-6 years for draft picks to mature how much longer should we give a GM. I figure 2-3 decades. Right????

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad