Rumor: Vancouver Canucks Ownership - Searching For Jim Benning Replacement

member 290103

There should be a full court press on here for Laurence Gilman. He’s lives in the area....or did until recently, has experience with the market, is smart and polished, and is very forward thinking.

He’s paid his dues and learned under all the right people (besides Jim and John).

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
An underrated requirement I have for the next Canucks President is someone who has enough clout to get them out of this Luongo cap recapture BS that the team has hanging over its head.

There were no rules broken, and the team was retroactively punished. Just like how Lamorello got out of his penalty almost entirely with the Kovalchuk thing, someone needs to go to bat for the Canucks here too. Hell, maybe it should be Lamorello.

i think we overestimate clout. lou lamoriello was not an old boy. he was a college hockey coach turned athletic director, which in the late 80s and early 90s was about as outsider as it got in the NHL. he was a smart executive who knew the right things to ask for and how to ask for them.

and man, when you look back at lamoriello, in his four biggest disputes with the league he came out better than could have been reasonably imagined each time.

long before lou goes way too far on the kovalchuk contract, and the league fines him $3 million and makes him give up a 1st round pick only to later, for no reason, give the devils an unspecified amount of the money plus the pick back; long before lou wants out of that contract and it magically disappears, he already was a total boss. and for an organization that had moved twice and had no history or record of success--

st louis signs shanahan without the draft picks to pay it off and lou manages to convince the arbitrator to send back scott stevens. i mean, scott stevens. st louis offered curtis joseph and rod brind'amour; those were very good players.

then in the scott stevens tampering case, lou managed to get $1.425 million, a 1st round pick (in 2001, which they traded and was eventually used by florida on one lukas krajicek), and a swap of first round picks (in 2003, which they used to get parise; NJ was coming off winning the cup so they swapped away the last pick of the first round).

it's not like kevin lowe can just walk into the league office and wave his six stanley cup rings around and get that done. it's not about clout, imo, it's about smart people doing smart people things.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There should be a full court press on here for Laurence Gilman. He’s lives in the area....or did until recently, has experience with the market, is smart and polished, and is very forward thinking.

He’s paid his dues and learned under all the right people (besides Jim and John).
The chances of Aquilini hiring Gilman to run the Canucks are into negative numbers. Besides, with an insider's knowledge of how the Canucks operate, do you think he'd really want to come back?

If they're making a change, they'll be looking for a 'name'. Linden was perfect for awhile, but he had some cachet in this marketplace. But where there's smoke, there's probably some fire, so it looks like hockey ops changes are in the works after another lackluster season.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Not that he'd be a candidate, but what is Lorne Henning up to these days? The few times I heard him interviewed, he came off as a capable and thoughtful guy.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Just ****ing let the egos move aside.

Some people can't admit when they talk to someone smarter than them.

Bring back Gillis.

1*4wSGabAJGa4HfSQ2rycyog.jpeg

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Wouldn't mind Benning being fired after the draft...but if they end up replacing him with Weisbrod the reaction on here will be priceless.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Probably why Benning has lasted this long. Aquilini himself isn't that smart, so talking to someone who is easily stupider than him makes him feel better.
The idea that Aquilini isn't smart is a fallacy to a certain extent. Like you don't build a financial empire and sustain it without some smarts.

His ego is likely through the roof.

And I think to a certain extent, Gillis had a hell of an ego too. But, he was able to put his aside when it came to hockey decisions. And I think, he probably understands the shortcomings of his previous actions as general manager, both as far as hockey goes and as far as his media relations and the way he presented himself.

Reactions: Jay Cee and Nomobo

member 290103

The idea that Aquilini isn't smart is a fallacy to a certain extent. Like you don't build a financial empire and sustain it without some smarts.

And I think to a certain extent, Gillis had a hell of an ego too. But, he was able to put his aside when it came to hockey decisions. And I think, he probably understands the shortcomings of his previous actions as general manager, both as far as hockey goes and as far as his media relations and the way he presented himself.

Ironically, it may be Aqualinis ego that gets Benning fired. I think it kills him to own a team that’s a league wide laughing stock.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007

If you're born halfway between third base and home plate and you manage to slide home, does that make you a great runner?

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
There are lots of good hockey guys out there, so pick one. Hextall likely doesn't get a chance just based on the fact he actually had a plan in Philly (maybe not the best plan, we will never know). We know our ownership is into more of a fluid managerial style, to put it politely, which doesn't suit a long term plan per se. They are more concerned about the next year's season ticket drive more than anything which ironically leads to outcomes that harm it.

Also, this is a Botch rumor so I will believe it when I see it.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
If you're born halfway between third base and home plate and you manage to slide home, does that make you a great runner?
That's a weak response. I don't even know how to tangibly respond to that.

I said some smarts. I don't mean he's a jack of all trades genius.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Ironically, it may be Aqualinis ego that gets Benning fired. I think it kills him to own a team that’s a league wide laughing stock.
I think it's the opposite.

Seems like him and Gillis went to war at the end and he is convinced that the retool was the right plan, so much to the point that Linden left because Benning and Aquilini are convinced this is getting turned around quickly.

I think he wants to keep the guy he shared vision with and who he knows part of the market believes can do no wrong.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
I just wondering out loud. When Markus Naslund gets his shot at running the Canucks? hmmmmmmmmmm

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
That's a weak response. I don't even know how to tangibly respond to that.

I said some smarts. I don't mean he's a jack of all trades genius.

I have no idea how smart the man is. I just don't give him much credit for building a financial empire when in fact he inherited one (not to mention he's only one of several Aquilinis currently running the company). Idiot or genius, he was always going to be rich.

Anyway, carry on, Canada.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Well I believe this is a terrible idea. He'd still be more qualified than Linden ever was to run anything.

I suggest having no GM would have been better than Benning. His bad mistakes IMO far outway his good moves.

Reactions: TruGr1t

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
This is good news if they get a experienced gm that wont take any bullshit from the owners and do a proper rebuild, otherwise the next guy is just going to try to cut corners like JB

Reactions: Luckylarry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad