Rumor: Vancouver Canucks Ownership - Searching For Jim Benning Replacement

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Both Jason Botchford and Matt Sekeres are saying that this evening.

Sekeres claims the canucks took a 2nd run at Dean Lombardi and were turned down once again

Matthew Sekeres (@mattsekeres) on Twitter

Jason Botchford says that despite what the Toronto insiders are saying that the Canucks are looking for a change and sites Ken Holland as someone to keep a eye on. saying that Yzerman is taking over in Detriot and he wants to be a GM still. He is 63 at the moment but still wants to run a team.

Edmonton and Seattle might be interested as well. But many feel that the Edmonton job is going to Mark Hunter or more likely Kelly Mccrimmon. Seattle is a ground level opportunity that might be a big task for someone in his mid 60"s . Holland is a big name the family would love and he has ties to the province. One of the most interesting notes in Botchford articles is that they told Linden they wanted a scout in the GM chair when they hired Benning. but now they have 100% confidence in Judd Brackett to run the draft which makes Benning less useful to them. also if the Canucks lose another game this year they will have loss 200 games in the last 4 years let that sink in for a minute as you sip your coffee this morning .

The Athletties: The injury excuse, the Myers thing and the...

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
someone needs to bring up that post I wrote about a year ago that the family was interested in Ken Holland......... lol..... just joking

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
they told Linden they wanted a scout in the GM chair when they hired Benning. but now they have 100% confidence in Judd Brackett to run the draft

That's great, fire the guy who hired Brackett to do a job and now fire the guy you replaced the first guy with because Brackett can do that job

Quite a tightly run ship we have here

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Will you take over the anti-management role when Benning is fired?
No..of course not..(GMs will get hired and fired by the Canucks for many years to come)..I will give the guy a season before I judge him..

I garauntee that after a couple of so so moves by a new GM..The collective mind hive here will galvanize itself...and we get to do it all over again.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
No..of course not..(GMs will get hired and fired by the Canucks for many years to come)..I will give the guy a season before I judge him..

I garauntee that after a couple of so so moves by a new GM..The collective mind hive here will galvanize itself...and we get to do it all over again.
If the moves are in the right direction, there won't be so much criticism. Well, the drones will criticize everything or will disappear, probably this last one.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Maybe Edler isnt re signed yet because Benning doesnt have authority or green light right now to sign any contracts because hes a out to get fired.

Lombardi turning us down shouldn't surprise anybody. As I mentioned, no respected; proven GM is going to be in a hurry to work for a team w. A hands on owner .

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012

Two points.
You’ll give the new guy one season.....just in case you can’t count beyond one Benning has been here for more than one year.
Guarantees usually come with some kind of compensation. Will you refrain from posting idiotic troll posts if you are wrong....again?

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
I don’t think there’s much here unfortunately, god knows I wish there was.

Reactions: m9

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Seattle is a ground level opportunity that might be a big task for someone in his mid 60"s . Holland is a big name the family would love and he has ties to the province. One of the most interesting notes in Botchford articles is that they told Linden they wanted a scout in the GM chair when they hired Benning. but now they have 100% confidence in Judd Brackett to run the draft which makes Benning less useful to them.

It was a stupid move in the first place bringing effectively an amateur scout in to run the team alongside Linden. At least the bold portion shows some element of self awareness ... even though it's doesn't make up for the original stupid decision.

It's pretty clear the Canucks scouting department is it's own beast at this point and removing Benning would have limited impact on its effectiveness. The only thing you'd be losing is crappy contracts and trades.

I'm not opposed to Holland, but he's another old school guy. Maybe they'll do a Toronto type deal where Holland mentors a younger executive for a couple years. That I would not mind.

I've had a sneaking feeling the Aquilini's were laying the groundwork for a change for a little while here.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Nothing will happen until Detroit makes a decision on Yzerman. Holland has one more season left on his current contract I believe.

I wonder if they'd keep Benning as the GM and just bring in Holland to fill the President role.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
This is potentially exciting. I’ll take Ken Holland at this point, especially with his willingness to go out and acquire draft picks. Botchford touches on Holland’s willingness to incorporate analytics which is also promising.

Yzerman’s contract is up at the end of this season with Tampa, so one would think if he’s going to Detroit it’s going to be now.

Canucks5551

Jun 1, 2005
I would honestly be happy if an inanimate carbon rod was announced as our new GM.
dkg6qam6o6n01.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad