Rumor: Vancouver Canucks Ownership - Searching For Jim Benning Replacement

megatron

Dec 11, 2016
There should be a full court press on here for Laurence Gilman. He’s lives in the area....or did until recently, has experience with the market, is smart and polished, and is very forward thinking.

He’s paid his dues and learned under all the right people (besides Jim and John).

Absolutely 100%. This is the second best option other than Gillis returning. You could argue that he's one of the architects of the Vegas knights. He was the Knights consultant on the expansion draft. :bow:

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver
That's a weak response. I don't even know how to tangibly respond to that.

I said some smarts. I don't mean he's a jack of all trades genius.

In most industries yes, but real estate development is basically idiot-proof for anyone with a lot of starting capital. The best opportunities not available to most are presented to you once you have name recognition.
EQ, charisma, and people skills are important but that doesn't necessarily correlate with intelligence.

Also, while Francesco is the face of the Canucks, his brothers and father have substantial involvement in the family business. His father in particular is the one who built the empire while Francesco just got to hop on as a managing director.

All evidence points to him being not-so-bright, stubborn guy with a huge ego.

member 290103

I think it's the opposite.

Seems like him and Gillis went to war at the end and he is convinced that the retool was the right plan, so much to the point that Linden left because Benning and Aquilini are convinced this is getting turned around quickly.

Right...his ego won’t allow a rebuild. This narrative that he only cares about playoff revenue is wrong, imo. He’s never been afraid to spend. I think he does want to win...he just can’t stomach a rebuild.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I have no idea how smart the man is. I just don't give him much credit for building a financial empire when in fact he inherited one (not to mention he's only one of several Aquilinis currently running the company). Idiot or genius, he was always going to be rich.

Anyway, carry on, Canada.
I agree. IDK. I just think calling him dumb or an idiot is unjust. Like, his real wealth has increased since what he's inherited.

Even if his businesses are managed by other people, you need to be able to pick the right people to put in place.

Reactions: Mergatroidskittle

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
In most industries yes, but real estate development is basically idiot-proof for anyone with a lot of starting capital. The best opportunities not available to most are presented to you once you have name recognition.
EQ, charisma, and people skills are important but that doesn't necessarily correlate with intelligence.

Also, while Francesco is the face of the Canucks, his brothers and father have substantial involvement in the family business. His father in particular is the one who built the empire while Francesco just got to hop on as a managing director.

All evidence points to him being not-so-bright, stubborn guy with a huge ego.
I responded to a similar response above. Might just have to agree to disagree.

Right...his ego won’t allow a rebuild. This narrative that he only cares about playoff revenue is wrong, imo. He’s never been afraid to spend. I think he does want to win...he just can’t stomach a rebuild.

Well, his ego is going to cause him years more of a mediocre team if we don't move on from Benning.

I think if you sat the Benning supporting portion of the fanbase through a two hour class on opportunity cost and then compared the costs of the moves Benning has made, you would see that the alternative options were better than the option he took in so many cases.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

member 290103

Everytime I come here I wish there was activity with this thread, but nothing. Sad.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
Everytime I come here I wish there was activity with this thread, but nothing. Sad.
Well there are photos of Charelli with Benning circulating other threads. So I would say activity might not equal positive results.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
I'm starting to believe this franchise is cursed.

It started on day one draft day, and then our original owner going to jail.

I became a Canuck fan, because the Leafs were monopolizing the fans, blocking a franchise in Van. Just like they do today with Hamilton.

Reactions: clunk

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Well there are photos of Charelli with Benning circulating other threads. So I would say activity might not equal positive results.
lEaboq3.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad