Rumor: Vancouver Canucks Ownership - Searching For Jim Benning Replacement

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Nobody "smart" would touch this team with a ten foot cattle prod...

I don't necessarily agree but one of the reasons I like the idea of Holland and why I see all signs pointing to him is he has the pedigree to brush off owner influence and will likely take Aquilini to the cleaners to sign here. No matter how "smart" you are having an owner with a tendency to meddle there's a difference in the relationship between being a new GM getting paid $1M a season and being a 20+ year HoF bound vet with 4 Stanley cups making say $5M a season.

Reactions: Luckylarry

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
The current Detroit team is not very well managed. Lots of bloated contracts. At least he’s willing to trade for picks.

We need an Yzerman calibre gm to save this franchise. Anyone like that available?

None come to mind . . .

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don't necessarily agree but one of the reasons I like the idea of Holland and why I see all signs pointing to him is he has the pedigree to brush off owner influence and will likely take Aquilini to the cleaners to sign here. No matter how "smart" you are having an owner with a tendency to meddle there's a difference in the relationship between being a new GM getting paid $1M a season and being a 20+ year HoF bound vet with 4 Stanley cups making say $5M a season.

Yes, Holland would be great, but do you honestly believe Aquilini will hire a strong, and experienced GM, who will not allow him to meddle?

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
This is potentially exciting. I’ll take Ken Holland at this point, especially with his willingness to go out and acquire draft picks. Botchford touches on Holland’s willingness to incorporate analytics which is also promising.

I doubt Aquaman replaces Benning in order to acquire more draft picks. My biggest worry about a GM change is that it signals an end to patience with our ownership group. The new GM will likely have a mandate to get the team back into the playoffs.

What’s our best trading chip at this point if the goal is playoffs? Probably next year’s first round draft pick.

I think this team is still a couple of good drafts away. And I worry that they’ll try to speed things along like they did in Buffalo and Edmonton.

I’d rather they just put a president in place who can help Benning with the managerial stuff. Holland could be great just not sure he’d be willing.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I doubt Aquaman replaces Benning in order to acquire more draft picks. My biggest worry about a GM change is that it signals an end to patience with our ownership group. The new GM will likely have a mandate to get the team back into the playoffs.

What’s our best trading chip at this point if the goal is playoffs? Probably next year’s first round draft pick.

I think this team is still a couple of good drafts away. And I worry that they’ll try to speed things along like they did in Buffalo and Edmonton.

I’d rather they just put a president in place who can help Benning with the managerial stuff. Holland could be great just not sure he’d be willing.

I don't want Jim Benning employed by this organization at all. He's an idiot. I don't want an idiot running the Canucks.

And it's not about being impatient either. I would argue Aquilini has been too patient with Benning, failing to recognize his incompetence sooner.

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
100% agreed that if he gets toasted the next guys mandate isnt going to be to continue to rebuild. The very earliest this team should be thinking about turning the corner is the expansion draft IMO

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Yes, Holland would be great, but do you honestly believe Aquilini will hire a strong, and experienced GM, who will not allow him to meddle?

One would hope that Aquilini would have the self awareness to see what his meddling has done for the team which is turn it from a well run and innovative franchise with a GM of the year at the helm to the worst team in the league
run by a pair of morons who are clearly in way over their heads.
Unfortunately,many successful people are completely full of themselves and feel they can do no wrong and thus
blame their failures on others.Id imagine this is the scenario that we’ll see unless FA has is willing to take a good hard look in the mirror and realize he needs to hire the right people and step away to let them do their job.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Hextall? Ferraro?

I hate to say I don't much care for Lombardi. He's be an improvement, but I just don't see him being the fix we need.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
I'd be interested in Holland just off the number of draft picks he's accumulated for this draft and the previous two. The Canucks have 23(12 in the first 4 rounds) in that time period and the Red Wings have 31(21 in the first 4 rounds) as of this moment. I'd have some concern regarding his contract history, but that seems to have gotten better as he's transitioned into the rebuild stage.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Who knows but how I see it is while he likes to medal he's also a fan who wants to see the Canucks win the cup so if he gets a guy with Hollands pedigree it could convince him to step it back and let him work.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If they're replacing Jimbo, they better do it well before the draft and free agency. There's no way a 'lame duck' GM should be handling those responsibilities.

And if they do bring in a 'name' as GM, it's the surest sign yet the Canucks are going to shoot the wad on free agency. Aquilini, while professing patience, is obviously chaffing at the bit with his team sunk in the slime of mediocrity.

The day Linden was turfed, was the day the current regime was on life support. Only a breakthrough season and a playoff spot would have saved them.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Someone with experience as president and a guy who likes analytics as GM. No more old school old boys club. No more gms with no experience on how to run an organization

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Holland would be great, he commands a lot of respect in the league and I bet he can convince quality free agents to sign here. He can also look to hire an up and coming assistant GM that can eventually take over his role when retires. Similar to what Toronto did with Kyle Dubas.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I hope he's at least considering Gillis or Gilman a little bit. There's nothing wrong with burying your pride and bringing Gillis back into the fold.

Ideally would love this but that ship has sailed, there is a reason Aquilini did a surprise interview the next day Gillis was on air. Aquilini has a deep hatred for Gillis.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Ideally would love this but that ship has sailed, there is a reason Aquilini did a surprise interview the next day Gillis was on air. Aquilini has a deep hatred for Gillis.
It's a real shame, because I've loved what Mike has had to say after his firing and even a bit before. He learnt from his mistakes (all while winning a GM of the year award, no less) and is even MORE forward thinking now than he was then. He travelled to different countries to see how the most successful sports organisations were run. He would be such a breath of fresh air here. Would fully support a Holland hire, but I think Gillis is going to be fantastic in his second tenure as an NHL GM. Wouldn't surprise me if he runs Seattle.

Reactions: pomorick

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
Ferraro? Wtf. Perhaps kypreos should be a candidate as well

Ferraro seems to be someone who knows the needs of this team. But we can't get another rookie GM. I would love to add Ferraro in an Advisor position. For me, there are 3 strong candidates : Kelly McCrimmon (the brilliant mind behind Vegas), Pat Verbeek (Yzerman understudy and main advisor to BriseBois, with said Steve Y) and Laurence Gillman (we know how valuable this man is). Three forward thinking possible General Managers with work done in successful franchises.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Hmm, the timing of this feels a little conspicuous, coming off the heels of LeBrun's statements. This feels like some "put the feet to the fire" type of rumor milling -- if I had to guess, Aquilini leaked this to the media so Benning won't feel safe. No doubt ownership's patience for the rebuild is wearing thin (even if they have themselves to blame for delaying the rebuild as long as possible in the first place). But I don't see Benning getting fired before the draft.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Ferraro seems to be someone who knows the needs of this team. But we can't get another rookie GM. I would love to add Ferraro in an Advisor position. For me, there are 3 strong candidates : Kelly McCrimmon (the brilliant mind behind Vegas), Pat Verbeek (Yzerman understudy and main advisor to BriseBois, with said Steve Y) and Laurence Gillman (we know how valuable this man is). Three forward thinking possible General Managers with work done in successful franchises.

I’d love any of them; even hextall and my probable favorite would be holland with Ferraro as understudy. I like Ferraro and he seems very knowledgeable about the game and I love his assessments even if I disagree with some.

And to whomever suggested Kypreos I’d rather keep benning around

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
No..of course not..(GMs will get hired and fired by the Canucks for many years to come)..I will give the guy a season before I judge him..

I garauntee that after a couple of so so moves by a new GM..The collective mind hive here will galvanize itself...and we get to do it all over again.
I doubt it unless they start doing dumb things like Jim.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I’d love any of them; even hextall and my probable favorite would be holland with Ferraro as understudy. I like Ferraro and he seems very knowledgeable about the game and I love his assessments even if I disagree with some.

And to whomever suggested Kypreos I’d rather keep benning around
Kypreos was a joke in response to suggesting Ferraro which is also a joke. Just because he is well spoken and had a decent career as a player/ analyst doesn’t mean he is capable of running a $600 million franchise. I hope Aquilini is aiming a little higher when seeking Jimmys replacement. Ferraro also said he isn’t interested in management and that he has no experience lol

Reactions: Bubbles and Cogburn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad