Rumor: Vancouver Canucks Ownership - Searching For Jim Benning Replacement

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
I see absolutely no way that Ken Holland would want to deal with this ownership group. If he were to get removed by Detroit, he would literally be in the running for any job that came up. Why would he choose to work here.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The issues with ownership are overblown.

There aren't enough NHL GM jobs for most guys to turn down the job based on the owner, much less one that lets you spend to the cap every year and has a few excellent young pieces.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
The issues with ownership are overblown.

There aren't enough NHL GM jobs for most guys to turn down the job based on the owner, much less one that lets you spend to the cap every year and has a few excellent young pieces.

Aquilini was probably annoying as f*** to work for in the Gillis and early-Benning years where we clearly needed more young assets but around 2017 was when he seemed to chillax a bit.

The team should probably be trying to make the playoffs anyways at this point and really the bottom end of the lineup needs more tinkering than the top of it. It's not a horrible spot.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Aquilini was probably annoying as **** to work for in the Gillis and early-Benning years where we clearly needed more young assets but around 2017 was when he seemed to chillax a bit.

The team should probably be trying to make the playoffs anyways at this point and really the bottom end of the lineup needs more tinkering than the top of it. It's not a horrible spot.

Take a look at the rosters of the teams in the top 4 in East & West.
Im sure our team can sneak in to the playoffs every now and then... But... To what end?

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Take a look at the rosters of the teams in the top 4 in East & West.
Im sure our team can sneak in to the playoffs every now and then... But... To what end?

Vegas, San Jose and Nashville have all added a lot of core pieces through trade and free agency and I don't see why a new and good GM wouldn't be able to himself.

People downplay just how badly our depth has sunk us lately. This team has sucked for a long ass time and they're about to get their 5th top 10 pick in the past 6 years. Even with two of the picks being botched, they have good young players in literally every position and the high-end of our lineup has been pretty good this season.

I honestly think if the bottom 6 (+ Horvat's wingers) was cleaned up cheaply (and there's a few decent targets in free agency for this) the team could probably make the playoffs. Not playing Gudbranson and Pouliot regularly is also going to be a significant net positive.

Then after that is when the big splashes should be made.

It's just a shame our cap has been so terribly mismanaged.

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
This is potentially exciting. I’ll take Ken Holland at this point, especially with his willingness to go out and acquire draft picks. Botchford touches on Holland’s willingness to incorporate analytics which is also promising.

Yzerman’s contract is up at the end of this season with Tampa, so one would think if he’s going to Detroit it’s going to be now.

The current Detroit team is not very well managed. Lots of bloated contracts. At least he’s willing to trade for picks.

We need an Yzerman calibre gm to save this franchise. Anyone like that available?

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Ken Holland would be good...

...if this was the 1990s

Detroit hasn't been relevant since Lidstrom retired.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not surprised these rumors have surfaced again...always felt that the Canucks had to close the season strong for Jimbo not to be in real trouble. And unfortunately like seasons past, the Canucks are crawling to the finish line.

Unless by some miracle they were to win the draft lottery, it's pretty hard to pump the tires of a team in the off-season that consistently fails in crunch time. My guess is that either they make a change before the draft; or the ax falls early next season. And of course firing the GM with the season underway is not an ideal situation.

My guess is that Aquilini hires some guy to act as president in charge of hockey ops; and GM Benning will report to him. Basically a replacement for Linden, but a guy with a lot more experience and authority over the entire operation. But who? And who would actually want to come here?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Not surprised these rumors have surfaced again...always felt that the Canucks had to close the season strong for Jimbo not to be in real trouble. And unfortunately like seasons past, the Canucks are crawling to the finish line.

Unless by some miracle they were to win the draft lottery, it's pretty hard to pump the tires of a team in the off-season that consistently fails in crunch time. My guess is that either they make a change before the draft; or the ax falls early next season. And of course firing the GM with the season underway is not an ideal situation.

If they're going to make a change I can't see them letting Jimbo run around in free agency. That's where he's done the bulk of his most obvious damage.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007

My guess is that Aquilini hires some guy to act as president in charge of hockey ops; and GM Benning will report to him. Basically a replacement for Linden, but a guy with a lot more experience and authority over the entire operation. But who? And who would actually want to come here?

Well, there's always Chiarelli. Ha ha... ha.

Reactions: FacepalmBenning

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
If the Canucks org really has a toxic reputation because of owner interference, and established front office guys won't come here, it's a perfect opportunity to go young and hire an outsider. It's what should be happening regardless. Whoever the next GM or president is, neither should be an ex-NHLer or the son of somebody connected to the NHL.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
So, now media speculated the other way; can we use this as an appeal to authority the same way as RMB and the other benning bros were using lebruns opinion??

Just want to make sure appeals to authority are fine across the board

This isn't an appeal to authority. Or rather, it's not fallacious. Appeals to authority are not always fallacious. For example citing the opinions of doctors when talking about medicine is perfectly valid.

In this case, botchford and sekeras are both paid to follow and report on the canucks. Pierre Lebrun is not. The former is not a fallacious appeal to authority. The latter is. It's as simple as that.

Draino

Mar 1, 2017
Vancouver
This isn't an appeal to authority. Or rather, it's not fallacious. Appeals to authority are not always fallacious. For example citing the opinions of doctors when talking about medicine is perfectly valid.

In this case, botchford and sekeras are both paid to follow and report on the canucks. Pierre Lebrun is not. The former is not a fallacious appeal to authority. The latter is. It's as simple as that.

haha. so guys like McKenzie and Lebrun who arent specific to any market or get paid from a particular market can't be regarded as authorities...ok

actually....just playing devils advocate here...Lebrun is paid every time he ponies up for an interview on a local radio station...so is he not paid to follow and report on the Canucks too?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

For the youngsters...

latest

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
haha. so guys like McKenzie and Lebrun who arent specific to any market or get paid from a particular market can't be regarded as authorities...ok

actually....just playing devils advocate here...Lebrun is paid every time he ponies up for an interview on a local radio station...so is he not paid to follow and report on the Canucks too?

No.

Lebruns job is to report on the goings on around the league. He is not an analyst. His job is not to evaluate how well teams are run or not run. He has no clue about that, nor is it even possible for him to have a clue about that.

Draino

Mar 1, 2017
Vancouver
No.

Lebruns job is to report on the goings on around the league. He is not an analyst. His job is not to evaluate how well teams are run or not run. He has no clue about that, nor is it even possible for him to have a clue about that.

sure...and Botchford is such a superior "analyst" ..haha

in other words an authority is an authority if Melvin decides he is an authority. Case closed, lets move on.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
sure...and Botchford is such a superior "analyst" ..haha

in other words an authority is an authority if Melvin decides he is an authority. Case closed, lets move on.

Botchford isn't an analyst either but he isn't expressing an opinion, he's reporting what he's heard. That's his job.

I mean if you honestly can't tell the difference between "Benning is a great gm because Pierre lebrun said so" and "Jason botchford is reporting that the canucks may be interested in making a change" then you might need to go back to school.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Botchford isn't an analyst either but he isn't expressing an opinion, he's reporting what he's heard. That's his job.

I mean if you honestly can't tell the difference between "Benning is a great gm because Pierre lebrun said so" and "Jason botchford is reporting that the canucks may be interested in making a change" then you might need to go back to school.
Botchford is an editorialist more than he is a reporter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad