Post-Game Talk: Vancouver Canucks @ Florida Panthers | Jan 11 | 4:00PM PST | SNET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
You want to tell us that playing good for the last 3 months somehow negates him sucking for the 2 previous years? He should continue to play like he is playing now for the rest of his contract just for him to break even. He still gets paid 6 mil per year and plays like 4-5/year instead of his usual 2-3m/year.

You did turn down the volume after Jimbo was fired buy you are still desperate to get some small "victories" for your idol. You've proped the worst GM in franchise history since october 2017 when you joined here. At least have the decency to celebreate your victories in silence. You've anoyed enough people.
He did not play poorly in his first season,.. in fact, without him, the Canucks wouldn't have been anywhere close to the playoff mark in 2019-20.(led all the Canuck D men in ES ice time, and played the PP and PK)..All of our D played poorly last season (some posters here suggesting even moving Hughes for the right return)...He was overpaid from the minute he was signed, as is the case in most UFA...Tell me, what is the value of a 29 year old RHS Top 4 d-man in UFA..?

This is a discussion board, you don't like my opinion...tough...I don't value yours either (trading Markstrom at the 2020 TDL..lol)...As long as your posting within the rules, it's fair game.

Last edited:

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
How many kids follow the Canucks? Not nearly so many as did a decade ago. Add another six years to losing young fans, and there won’t be hardly any left, except for the hardcore hockey players. I can see the Canucks heading to a very dark era, much like the Lions are in now. And it’s thanks to Jim Benning.

I agree with a lot of this. JBs damage has yet to be totally seen. “But he drafted Boeser” only to lose him for nothing because he also traded for OEL and signed Myers etc. the losing culture , handling of covid, and real culture is going to hurt and has hurt good free agents wanting to sign here. Hockey insiders have said as much. We are far from being free of JB decisions.

Canucks will always be 95-100% sold out and there’s a lineup for corp sponsors but it’s not because of the team or front office. There’s the luxury of having f*** all else sports wise in the city / province. Shitty CFL league and not much better MLS soccer team. That’s it. Try being successful in LA or Florida where Highschool football is preferred over NHL.

likash

Apr 17, 2019
He did not play poorly in his first season,.. in fact, without him, the Canucks wouldn't have been anywhere close to the playoff mark in 2019-20.(led all the Canuck D men in ES ice time, and played the PP and PK)..All of our D played poorly last season (some posters here suggesting even moving Hughes for the right return)...He was overpaid from the minute he was signed, as is the case in most UFA...Tell me, what is the value of a 29 year old RHS Top 4 d-man in UFA..?

This is a discussion board, you don't like my opinion...tough...I don't value yours either (trading Markstrom at the 2020 TDL..lol)...As long as your posting within the rules, it's fair game.
You know he could have traded him before the deadline. I know he got injured 2-3 days before. He kept him because he did not trust Demko and still lost him in the summer for nothing. He should have never been in the position of having his number 1 goalie without a contract in feb 2020. You either resign him at the start of 2019 season or trade him. You never let your star goalie go to UFA. Jimbo had no plan and he was just lucky Demko panned out. Giving your rivals your best goalie and your top shutdown D for nothing is as stupid as it gets.

The list of stupid and absurd things you said in your defence of Jim Benning is as long as the Great Wall of China. :laugh:

Last edited:

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
You know he could have traded him before the deadline. I know he got injured 2-3 days before. He kept him because he did not trust Demko and still lost him in the summer for nothing. He should have never been in the position of having his number 1 goalie without a contract in feb 2020. You either resign him at the start of 2019 season or trade him. You never let your star goalie go to UFA. Jimbo had no plan and he was just lucky Demko panned out. Giving your rivals your best goalie and your top shutdown D for nothing is as stupid as it gets.

The list of stupid and absurd things you said in your defence of Jim Benning is as long as the Great Wall of China. :laugh:
No playoff team has ever traded their star UFA goaltender except in one or two cases where they were already being supplanted/outperformed by their younger backup. The thing you're suggesting any reasonable GM would do has literally never been done.

Also, what Benning actually did ended up working fairly well. Signing Markstrom long-term, and presumably trading Demko, would probably have provided the team with less value than re-signing Demko to his current contract. Admitting this doesn't mean you approve of Benning in general or anything else in particular he did.

Last edited:
Reactions: MS and Get North

likash

Apr 17, 2019
No playoff team has ever traded their star UFA goaltender except in one or two cases where they were already being supplanted/outperformed by their younger backup. The thing you're suggesting any reasonable GM would do has literally never been done.

Also, what Benning actually did ended up working fairly well. Signing Markstrom long-term, and presumably trading Demko, would probably have provided the team with less value than re-signing Demko to his current contract. Admitting this doesn't mean you approve of Benning in general or anything else in particular he did.
Accidental Benning is the best Benning :laugh:

Btw we were sinking like a rock in jan-feb and everybody knew that we would miss again.The injuries were starting to pile up. That team relied on unsustanaible play. It's not like they were a threat to anyone. Losing Marky for nothing to just to try and make the playoffs does not look like a great plan to me. We lost a top 5 goalie in the league. He is not just any goalie.

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
What's that supposed to mean? This probably is OEL's mean.

For the past 3 seasons he's scored most of his points on the PP. And seeing how he's not on the 1PP here, you shouldn't really expect more than 20 points from him. He's ageing too, so decline should also be expected there.

I don't believe 0,1 even strength points *edit * per game, is his mean.

Last edited:

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
If EP scores 90 points next season will you go back to saying the contract was too short?

Yes. If a player scores 90 points I’m going to want him for as long as possible. If he scores 45 and makes 7.25M I’m going to want him gone. I’m not sure what your trying to get at but it’s pretty simple.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

….No playoff team ever
….except
….literally never been done….

Which is it?

Probably time to use your own advice when posting. This is poorly written.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
….No playoff team ever
….except
….literally never been done….

Which is it?

Probably time to use your own advice when posting. This is poorly written.
The only example anyone has produced is Ben Bishop, traded when Vasilievsky was starting half the team’s games and supplanting him. Do you know of any others?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The only example anyone has produced is Ben Bishop, traded when Vasilievsky was starting half the team’s games and supplanting him. Do you know of any others?
Hey man I’m just criticizing your post for shit you usually expect more of from others. Just trying to help improve the board.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Hey man I’m just criticizing your post for shit you usually expect more of from others. Just trying to help improve the board.
You didn’t actually point out what you thought was wrong with what I said, as far as I can tell.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Accidental Benning is the best Benning :laugh:

Btw we were sinking like a rock in jan-feb and everybody knew that we would miss again.The injuries were starting to pile up. That team relied on unsustanaible play. It's not like they were a threat to anyone. Losing Marky for nothing to just to try and make the playoffs does not look like a great plan to me. We lost a top 5 goalie in the league. He is not just any goalie.
The game before the TDL, we beat the Bruins 9-3, and we were 10 games over .500...The team never looked better..The injuries didnt hit until after the TDL....Trading your MVP when your clearly in a playoff race (and traded your 1st round pick) would have been a disservice to the team, and the fans...Its a completely absurd take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad