Post-Game Talk: Vancouver Canucks @ Florida Panthers | Jan 11 | 4:00PM PST | SNET

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Eveybody but Jimbo knew that he would not produce his normal 40pts when we have Hughes who plays 80% of the PP time. That being said, i expected him to get 25-30 pts and he is on pace to achieve half.
After that last game, maybe Hughes should play 100% of the PP time....

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
I'm mad at the players for being penny pinchers. You would think they would be more empathetic after all the past empty buildings where they got paid. No? Maybe they can make donations to the local pubs and restaurants also to help with the restrictions...:sarcasm:

LOL c'mon man it's a business the owners are fed up. The government are being idiotic. Good on them for saying F U

It's frustrating sure
I get the sense that's there's 2 elements at play here. One, you're sympathetic to business owners who have accrued losses throughout the pandemic. Two, you cast the blame on BC Health. Put the two together, you see Aquilini thumbing his nose at the powers that be, somehow embarrassing Henry into doing things the way you'd like to see them done.

It brings to mind an age-old saying: don't piss into the wind. You'd like BC to run more like Florida? Fine. But you're outnumbered and you don't have the votes to make it happen. It's that simple.

So a pyrrhic victory where we halt a 9-game point streak, one where we throw away our momentum before embarking on the toughest road trip of the year that could well determine our playoff chances. All so Aquilini can make his 'point', or at least that's the way you see it.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Eveybody but Jimbo knew that he would not produce his normal 40pts when we have Hughes who plays 80% of the PP time. That being said, i expected him to get 25-30 pts and he is on pace to achieve half.

Going back to 13-14 he has scored at a 23 EVP pace through 623 games. He's regressing with little PP time so it's time to start putting the expectation at 15-20 points rather than 25-30.

Reactions: MS

Feb 20, 2013
Finally watched the game. One of the Canucks better performances of the season, but Bobrovsky played very well and Demko didn't (which is likely more to do with scheduling than anything). The Canucks controlled play and the pace of the game throughout and the score was probably the reverse of what was deserved. We all knew they weren't going to win every game, but to come out and dominate possession against probably the third or fourth best team in the league after 10 days of inaction just shows how far they have come under BB. They also didn't fold when the score got lopsided, which shows a lot of the self-belief that now exists within the group.

Pettersson was dangerous all night too, so a really positive game all round despite the result. I am beginning to think this Boudreau bounce is the real deal.

Reactions: Indiana

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think OEL has been better than Edler. His offense will regress closer to the mean.

But that improvement comes at a massive long term cost.

What's that supposed to mean? This probably is OEL's mean.

For the past 3 seasons he's scored most of his points on the PP. And seeing how he's not on the 1PP here, you shouldn't really expect more than 20 points from him. He's ageing too, so decline should also be expected there.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What's that supposed to mean? This probably is OEL's mean.

For the past 3 seasons he's scored most of his points on the PP. And seeing how he's not on the 1PP here, you shouldn't really expect more than 20 points from him. He's ageing too, so decline should also be expected there.

I think at this point he's worth 15-20 ES points/season plus 5 or so 2nd unit PP points.

His 3 ES points through 32 games is definitely unlucky. and I'd expect that number to correct somewhat in the 2nd half.

Reactions: Nucker101

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The same posters ragging on OEL are the same posters that were telling us that Tyler Myers was in decline 3 years ago…

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I get the sense that's there's 2 elements at play here. One, you're sympathetic to business owners who have accrued losses throughout the pandemic. Two, you cast the blame on BC Health. Put the two together, you see Aquilini thumbing his nose at the powers that be, somehow embarrassing Henry into doing things the way you'd like to see them done.

It brings to mind an age-old saying: don't piss into the wind. You'd like BC to run more like Florida? Fine. But you're outnumbered and you don't have the votes to make it happen. It's that simple.

So a pyrrhic victory where we halt a 9-game point streak, one where we throw away our momentum before embarking on the toughest road trip of the year that could well determine our playoff chances. All so Aquilini can make his 'point', or at least that's the way you see it.
Most people are trying to make the best decisions in a new world of rules and regulations. BC Health is the same. 27,000 Health care shifts were uncovered in the first week of January. 40-50 ambulances per day are browned out in the lower mainland. But you want your momentum? Correlation does not imply causation in this pandemic. It's not that simple. Everyone has their reasons, protocols are imperfect. I'm ok with ownership making their imperfect decisions.

The fact that i believe that educated business owners and people should be able to make their own decisions at this stage of the pandemic with what we have and know is just ones opinion from my view of things. I'm not asking for validation just would appreciate not living in a totalitarian society. It is frustrating to hear from a co worker who just came back from 2 1/2 weeks off because he had Covid say he had sniffles and a headache for a few days and then it was "great" as he got to play video games and watch movies for weeks in fine health due to "rules"...and this i imagine is not an isolated thing but perhaps i am wrong and most of these people (including the 20% of our staffing) not working are suffering. What i believe doesn't matter much as you said i'm outnumbered.

Brock Boeser was frustrated by travelling back to Canada to get an additional 10 days in isolation when he was healthy enough to practice and train. Said he would stay in the US next time. Clearly he's not in agreeance that Canada was making the right decisions regarding his ability to train and work.

Ownership had the option to cancel and hopefully re schedule some games (6 in total) that will recoup close to 12 million dollars some of which is wages to employees not needed for games without fans and services and some of you think they should just lose the money and be more concerned with "momentum". They made their decision you dont have a vote to get your momentum game. It's that simple

It's not worth getting into a morality debate with decisions about the pandemic. Aquilini had his reasons. We probably can agree that hopefully this is the final chapter. I wasn't the one complaining about it to begin with

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Reminder that you have to be a "neurotic lunatic" to be commenting on the poor play of players.

So, ummmmmmmm, maybe just don't?????????????

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Weird take. Myers has been worth his contract for about 20 games out of 3 years. Those that rag on him were 100% correct.
I never said he was worth his contact..ever.

His only off year was last year..and you could say that for the entire d last season.

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I think at this point he's worth 15-20 ES points/season plus 5 or so 2nd unit PP points.

His 3 ES points through 32 games is definitely unlucky. and I'd expect that number to correct somewhat in the 2nd half.
The same posters ragging on OEL are the same posters that were telling us that Tyler Myers was in decline 3 years ago…

I really didn't like his game last night he looked sluggish and rusty but the tide starting to mount on him being a bad defenseman and pointing to his points production is unjust.

OEL leads by a wide margin on the Canucks in shots, rebounds created, high danger shot differential, a 61% GF differential, 2nd in Corsi behind Hughes all while at 42% off zone starts and top line matchups. He has the least giveaways per60 and next to Hughes the best at making passes on the tape to transition out of our zone. His .32 ppg at 5v5 is less than half of even last years .73 he mounted in his indifferent season. His shots per 60 is the highest of his career yet his points are way (more than double) below even his worst season.

This team is really struggling to score and it's net presence and ability to deflect, screen and get to rebounds is a big reason why. With a regression to even mean averages or slightly below he has another 6-10 pts. Without taking this into account of his statistical results isn't doing due diligence to this point.

OEL may become a anchor but he's providing quality results and has class that top players have and has helped even Tyler Myers become a positive top4 contributor to date by being his safeguard.

Not yourselves because i think you both have been seeing this but some nee to grasp the full picture before calling him out. Hopefully he plays better against Tampa at some point Boeser Pettersson and OEL need to have their production get back to some degree of normalcy.

The best thing they could work on in practice is net front. Florida staked a 3-1 lead with it. Reinhart did a fantastic job all night as did others for the Panthers.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
There’s a lot of former Canucks we thought were “bad” that other teams use. Feeling like Green was worse than I even thought.

Tyler Fedun

Green played Taylor Fedun as a regular, but that was in Utica where Green was coach when the Canucks held Fedun's contract. Willie D was the coach in Vancouver.

Similarly, Green never had Gustav Forsling, who was still playing in Sweden and hadn't signed with the Canucks when Benning traded his rights to Chicago for Adam Clendening.

Green could have had Jonathan Dahlen with the Canucks in 2018-2019 but Dahlen was sent to Utica. It wasn't just Green that didn't keep Dahlen in the NHL-after he was traded to San Jose by the Canucks, Forsling didn't make the Sharks either, playing the rest of that season in the AHL and then going back to Europe. He never played in the NHL until this season.

Probably I'm missing a few guys-anyone want to point out who else @geebaan was referring to?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Most of the talking heads agree that the Pearson/Pettersson/Hogs line got caved last night.

Will Boudreau keep that line together?

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
The odds of him rebounding are at worst 50/50. You know that if he doesn’t rebound we will need to basically do another rebuild right. You can’t really exit a rebuild without a 1C.
Oh I know. It’s incredibly concerning. That’s why I’d explore a trade because his value can continue to decline

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Oh I know. It’s incredibly concerning. That’s why I’d explore a trade because his value can continue to decline
If you trade him you are more likely to get some short term gain and keep you from tanking. Can be a playoff team but not a contender because contenders need #1C.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Millier will be 29 in 2 months and he is going to get paid this summer. I would trade him because he has good value right now but i would also keep him is he signs a 3-4 years around 7-7,5m. I know the second part is almost a pipe dream because of his production in the last 3 years.
Building the defence should be our nr 1 priority.
Virtually just about EVERY GM in the league says you build from the back out. The Nux have had the goaltending but dim Jim figured that was enough to keep suckers from seeing how bad the rest was. I pity Tanev and Edler who had to suffer with the AHL guys year after year. I know lots of folks here will deny what was, but Tryamkin, playing for a coach that despised him, was the 2nd or 3rd best dman on the team, maybe not scoring but he only got 45 seconds of PP time his entire time here, the career AHL coach of the day wanted desperately to show that AHL players were just as good NHLer's and better than rookie KHLer's. Remember, Groot and his agent had a press conference saying how much he wanted to stay, the next day the Nux make an offer, 3 days later Groot signs in the KHL for a single season. Then he comes back and waits 4 months for an offer, doesn't get one from an insulted and embarrassed GM and they exist (remember when Burke refused to sign R.J.Umberger because he was pissed at him), he couldn't sign him after all the work they did to protect themselves after the "Homesick", "smells", "no good anyway", "refused to not honor his contract", the last there was not part of his contract and JB was the one that agreed to that clause and then flamed him and had the media do a hatchet job on him. The guy comes back again and waits 5 months and no one even talks to him. Then at the last minute offers him 750K contract.
Then dim Jim goes and signs Myers because he needs a big dman because all the ones he likes are like himself when he got shipped out of the league because he was too small.
Groot right now would be a top four dman, defensively at least, BTW that was the best PK they have had in the last 5 years, Groot was on the PK always

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I liked EP's offensive game last night. He did fan on one good look, and has to start hitting the net when he does get his shots off. Ut he was much more decisive with the puck, which has been his issue all season. He seemed to know what he wanted to do with the puck before it got to his stick, which was good to see.

Also didn't see him flailing around in the ice after holding on to the puck while his processor got stuck buffering. Despite his line not doing well defensively, I felt this was one of his better games this season and am expecting to see him break out during this road trip.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
As long as you tried your best.
Lame excuse: way back then, they didn’t give out C+ or B- so you had this big difference between in terms of what mark you needed on your exams between a C or B. No C- either, so a C could be as low as 50% (a pretty low bar) or as high as something in the mid-70s (depending on the course).

I’d imagine it’s different today.

Last edited:

likash

Apr 17, 2019
You want to tell us that playing good for the last 3 months somehow negates him sucking for the 2 previous years? He should continue to play like he is playing now for the rest of his contract just for him to break even. He still gets paid 6 mil per year and plays like 4-5/year instead of his usual 2-3m/year.

You did turn down the volume after Jimbo was fired buy you are still desperate to get some small "victories" for your idol. You've proped the worst GM in franchise history since october 2017 when you joined here. At least have the decency to celebreate your victories in silence. You've anoyed enough people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad