Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
Let's try some future top 6:

Virtanen - 2015 #1c - Shinkaruk
Jensen - Horvat - Kassian

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I hope ritchie doesn't make the nhl next year and become an impact player.

That would seriously make me ill

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I'm literally dumbfounded as to how you can pass up both Nylander and Ehlers for this guy.

Benning off to a horrible start.

John Bender*

No it wouldn't have. I've been reading that some scouts don't like him at all. The closest thing to being Kyle Beach 2.0 in the top 15

What scouts are saying this? Draisaitl is a near consensus top 5 pick. Your off the mark again here.

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
Virtanan X Kassian would be such a treat to watch man holy ****

Last edited by a moderator:

KuemperTantrum

Aug 11, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Should have taken Ehlers...too much emphasis on Virtanen's hometown.

Yup, I wanted us to take Ehlers all season long, but I'm pretty excited to see how Virtanen develops. The fact that he's only 17 and scored 45 goals in the WHL is pretty great. Also loving how fast and physical he is, and from what I've read, Desjardins is an offense first coach, so I think he'll fit in well.

The Horvatian One

228 LBS of Pain
Aug 22, 2010
umm what kind of comment is this ?

Our team has no bad contracts. A decent pool of prospects. No financial issues.

Our fanbase though after the 'bad' trades when there was nothing Benning could really do more to gain out of it should be a prime example.

I'm happy with this trade and understand the expectations were high....but still a bit ridiculous considering there were only 2 teams he would say yes to.

And look at this thread itself. Kid's going to get chased out of town really quick considering he won't even get a chance to prove himself. I feel bad for the kid already. *cough* Neely *cough*

Max Quackenbush

Mar 1, 2012
No Creativity on this Team

After the Sedins and Hunter, who the Canucks apparently tried to trade all day, the team has virtually NO creative skill.
They passed up on Nylander who literally makes everyone he plays with better and would have formed a great 1-2 punch down the Centre with BoHo. He also completely dominated the Ivan Hlinka tourney where he played against other players in his age group. Was rated by swedish national team officials as being the best offensive player since Nicklas Backstrom. He has some serious skill.

The Canucks will likely regret this-baffling.

Rageinthecage

Aug 5, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Feel a bit better now that I've researched Virtanen's year in Calgary.

-one of the youngest players in the draft

-not much icetime. Around 17-18 minutes only a night compared to other draft eligibles in the 20s.

-not a ton of pp time, and not a large percentage of his production with man advantage.

-not a huge supporting cast or overly offensive team in Calgary. An overager finished tied for 1st w/ 85 pts....JV was 3rd as a young 17 yr old

-finished the year with a torn labrum and still produced

-fast, wicked shot, physical as everyone here already knows

If this kid is a late bloomer, we may have a homerun here. His lack of hockey sense and playmaking skills still makes me wish we took Nylander or Ehlers though.

John Bender*

Yup, I wanted us to take Ehlers all season long, but I'm pretty excited to see how Virtanen develops. The fact that he's only 17 and scored 45 goals in the WHL is pretty great. Also loving how fast and physical he is, and from what I've read, Desjardins is an offense first coach, so I think he'll fit in well.

The hometown connection is a big one. Too often the Canucks DON'T take player from Vancouver.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
To me he's like a Mason Raymond that doesn't fall down, runs over dmen instead of being cut off, has a better shot, and is bigger and more physical.

He's like a super Raymond.

Thats my main fear.

I'll get this out of the way first. Nothing personal against the kid. Wish him the best and truly hope he exceeds all my expectations. My beef is with Benning.

Notice how TSN rates the ice Q of our pick as 3/5, or worst in the top 15 thus far. Next take a look at NHL scoring leaders list. I see lot of variety regarding the other traits. Some guys are big, some are small, some are fast, others are slow, some have good shots, others not so much, etc. But few or none have questionable ice Q. That is the crux of the matter.

At 6th overall you simply have to go for broke. Benning went the safe route. Almost a guaranteed NHLer but one with questionable ceiling. Also, if him being a homeboy played any role in his selection, as most suspect it did, even if only ever so slightly, than I'm at a loss for words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad