Confirmed with Link: Vancouver Canucks Draft Jake Virtanen "The Rifleman"

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Big fan of the player, a little scared of the shoulder injury as that's one that can be really tricky to come back from.

LolClarkson*

Not happy with the selection at #6, but he's still a good prospect with a unique set of skills that will hopefully be a big part of the core moving forward. Hoping he proves me and some of the others on here wrong.

As long as we didn't get Drisitle or Richie, im happy

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I like the pick. Not the sexiest. But IMO will be a good player for a long time, and a fan favorite.

I see him having a (upside) career not unlike Ryan Smyth. Heart, hustle and tenacity, and a better shot than Smyth, who was known more for garbage goals.

Just hope he rehabs that shoulder properly.

Maccas

Aug 26, 2010
England
I'm gutted that we didn't get Reinhart or Bennett and a little disappointed we didn't take Nylander or Ehlers but I think JV is a good pick, next year will be very interesting to see how well he can bounce back after the surgery etc. We really need players who can make a difference as soon as possible.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Exactly. Where would Virtanen be ranked for the 2015 draft right now if he was born 1 month later? 45 goals in his draft -1 season? Something tells me he'd be considered a much better player if he was in that draft than this draft. All because of 30 measly days.

This is the silver lining for me. Can't deny his goal production at that age - especially considering how many goals came 5 on 5.

Wouldn't have been my pick, but we're a long ways from calling it a disappointment.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Would've rather take a chance on ehlers but can't really complain.
Canucks should've sucked just a bit more last year

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
To me he's like a Mason Raymond that doesn't fall down, runs over dmen instead of being cut off, has a better shot, and is bigger and more physical.

He's like a super Raymond.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Ya because that's why we drafted him. People like you use that as a lame excuse as to why we drafted him. I love the pick.

I never said that was the only reason why, it's just a factor that shouldn't have played into it when there were better picks available. Figured that was pretty easy to understand...guess not.

John Bender*

I never said that was the only reason why, it's just a factor that shouldn't have played into it when there were better picks available. Figured that was pretty easy to understand...guess not.

Who were the better picks available? You like that Fat Peterborough guy right?

John Bender*

Ehlers, or Nylander.

Well, that's a matter of opinion. They are different types of players.

What about this ego-maniac Ho-sang. Should they take him if he is there at 24? We need a replacement for Kesler's ego.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Pretty happy with the pick...I was hoping for Ritchie as I think he's more likely to be a top line player while Virtanen I see as more of a second line complementary scorer athough a very good one.I do think that he'll be an impact player and definitely fits into JBs vision of a fast,quick strike team so I guess they figured he'd be the best fit.I hope he does,Jake seems like a great kid and was super pumped to get drafted by his hometown team so there's a bit of an extra incentive for him.

Crap,I see Anahiem just took Ritchie with the 10th pick...now that they have Kesler and Ritchie,they be even more of a pain to play against.I hope this does'nt come back to bite us bad...

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
We have to look at it this way guys. Between Nylander/Ehkers/Virtanen they all have positives and negatives. Let's not crap all over JV because he's not as offensive. He provides as much or more speed then Nylander/Ehlers, has as good of shot OR BETTER then Nylander, and he's a physical stud. What JV lacks compared to the others, he makes up with his goal scoring, physical play, speed etc.

I fully expect a James Neal/Nash/Benn type mashup. Speed, size, drive, shot. Love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad