Confirmed with Link: Vancouver Canucks Draft Jake Virtanen "The Rifleman"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TARS

May 3, 2009
Vancouver
Lots and lots of potential also him being the youngest makes me happy. Didn't know he was ranked as the most physical. I knew he was the quickest, but being the most physical is a nice thing to see. The Pacific is a tough tough division.

His draft+1 year will be very interesting to watch. Because of his age, it would be better to judge him based on the median between this year and next compared to some others in the draft.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
really like that virtanen is almost a year younger than some of these top picks and already has much more physical maturity than many of them

with his shot, size and speed he'll score goals for sure

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Haven't watched Virtanen in action, is his game comparable to Evander Kane?

Bit of a crash and bang winger with great wheels and a nice shot?

Does have have top line potential, or is a second line winger the more realistic ceiling for him?

Anyone in the top 10 could be a top line player. My view of Virtanen is a likely 30 goal scorer and a _potential_ 40 goal scorer (ceiling obviously).

So yes, def has 1st line upside, 3rd line downside.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Here is the best part about Virtanen in my opinion

He is really fast at his current weight, so he has speed and size which is a difficult combination to work with, look at all the players who are fast but undersized, they put on 10 pounds and become slugs because their bodies can't handle the increase

Virtanen will grow alongside his skating improving so he can utilize both

WIN

John Bender*

Not sure why everyone is down on Virtanen - too much like a Raffi Torres type?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
His draft+1 year will be very interesting to watch. Because of his age, it would be better to judge him based on the median between this year and next compared to some others in the draft.

Exactly. Where would Virtanen be ranked for the 2015 draft right now if he was born 1 month later? 45 goals in his draft -1 season? Something tells me he'd be considered a much better player if he was in that draft than this draft. All because of 30 measly days.

arsmaster*

I just think with all the build up to the pick, trying to move up, making terrible trades all day, and then taking him because he's "rugged" is a bad thing.

I like the kid, love his game, love his attitude, his moxy. I wish we could have had 10th too.

Ritchie and Virtanen would be awesome.

Hope 24 is a homerun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad