Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Tucker Poolman signs with the Canucks (4 years, $2.5M AAV)

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
Are people really bitching about this deal? It's 2.5m ffs lmao, ya It's a year too long but it's 2.5m.

the Canucks can trade him in the last year of that contract for a 4th or some shit who cares?

Lots of fake outrage here veiled as an excuse to rag on Benning whose had a great off season so far.

go on the Cece/Hyman/Coleman trade threads. Those are real disasters.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Are people really bitching about this deal? It's 2.5m ffs lmao, ya It's a year too long but it's 2.5m.

the Canucks can trade him in the last year of that contract for a 4th or some shit who cares?

Lots of fake outrage here veiled as an excuse to rag on Benning whose had a great off season so far.

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

I said similar things to what you said when we signed Beagle, Rousell and Eriksson.

Look how those turned out.

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

I said similar things to what you said when we signed Beagle, Rousell and Eriksson.

Look how those turned out.

I knew the beagle/roussel contracts would bite us in the ass because they were forwards and role players with long ass terms.

Poolman is a depth defenceman, the hottest commodity in the NHL.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I agree it's a year too long, but it's a solid AVV and the player will slot into Van's 2nd pairing nicely. A solid 3rd/4th guy for the team.

There were a lot of terrible contracts given out today but this sure as shit wasn't one of them.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
I knew the beagle/roussel contracts would bite us in the ass because they were forwards and role players with long ass terms.

Poolman is a depth defenceman, the hottest commodity in the NHL.

Hottest commodity in the NHL are top 4 RHD, depth dmen are basically role players, and both "long ass terms" were the same as poolman.

I don't hate the contract, I just think it's ridiculous not to see why people do, it's too much by a million and it's a couple of years too long.

Reactions: ugghhh

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
Hottest commodity in the NHL are top 4 RHD, depth dmen are basically role players, and both "long ass terms" were the same as poolman.

I don't hate the contract, I just think it's ridiculous not to see why people do, it's too much by a million and it's a couple of years too long.

sigh

trade deadline year.

Kulikov - conditional 4th
Mike Reilly - 3rd
Merril - 5th
Nemeth - 4th
Hutton - 5th
Benn - 6th

Reactions: flying v 604

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
sigh

trade deadline year.

Kulikov - conditional 4th
Mike Reilly - 3rd
Merril - 5th
Nemeth - 4th
Hutton - 5th
Benn - 6th

That doesn't prove me wrong, ask any fan of any team what they are most looking for, shit ask any GM of any team what they are most looking for and the answer would be RHD
they don't get traded because they are the most in demand.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Remember when Cliff Fletcher signed Jeff Finger and thought he was Kurt Sauer? I feel like that’s what happened here.

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
That doesn't prove me wrong, ask any fan of any team what they are most looking for, shit ask any GM of any team what they are most looking for and the answer would be RHD
they don't get traded because they are the most in demand.

Poolman is a RHD...

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
after we played the jets however many times this year and ithen watching the jets a bunch in the playoffs i barely noticed this guy and have no take on him.

i believe that is a sign of competent bottom six dman who mostly plays within himself.

Reactions: flying v 604

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
Sorry, specifically top 4 RHD, which I said in the original reply......
yes that's true but depth defencemen, especially right hand shots are easily movable at the trade deadline as well. 2.5m isn't going to cripple any contending team should we trade him in the final year of that contract.

I have no problem with this deal whatsoever, I think management is taking a gamble on his potential fit with Quinn. JB mentioned that his play is similar to Tanev, stay at home d man with a good stick. If he clicks with Quinn stylistically, this contract could end up being very good.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
yes that's true but depth defencemen, especially right hand shots are easily movable at the trade deadline as well. 2.5m isn't going to cripple any contending team should we trade him in the final year of that contract.

I have no problem with this deal whatsoever, I think management is taking a gamble on his potential fit with Quinn. JB mentioned that his play is similar to Tanev, stay at home d man with a good stick. If he clicks with Quinn stylistically, this contract could end up being very good.

I really hope your right, having said that, it sure doesn't seem like any Jet's fans would agree with this in any way.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
after we played the jets however many times this year and ithen watching the jets a bunch in the playoffs i barely noticed this guy and have no take on him.

i believe that is a sign of competent bottom six dman who mostly plays within himself.
Yup.

I don't really have a strong opinion on Poolman, because I don't feel I know enough about him yet. I've watched every Jets game against us, and a few other Jets games, but he hasn't stood out.

Make no mistake, hfCanucks has 0 humility. People are looking at free to access advanced stats and not considering context and making broad assumptions while going in with their confirmation biases.

'lolz binnign iz dum, so dis bad singning'.

The truth is, we need RD.

We have Ekman-Larsson, Hughes, and Rathbone. All really good puck movers who need stout size beside them. Also, each of our LD mean that our RD don't really need to be great at complicated breakout passes. If the simple pass is there, make it. If it isn't, chip it behind the net to your partner who can skate or move the puck.

I suspect that this is a bet on potential in the same way that the Garland trade was (though Garland is obviously leagues above Poolman).

Garland has played something like 164 games, Poolman has played 120 games. I get that he's 28, but he has literally played a season and a half worth of games.

The NHL takes a long time to adjust to, particularly for non-star players and particularly for D (cue, "rofl godbrensun sed 300 games" meme). If the braintrust sees a guy who potentially isn't done growing, or who was miscast in Winnipeg, then I have patience to see whether they were right.

All of the basement dwellers who wouldn't have signed anybody who wouldn't give them a Tampa discount forget that this isn't occurring in a vacuum. There is pressure on the team to improve from the fans, from ownership, and from the players. If you leave a gaping vacancy that sewers your team (say go into the season an RD short, and then an RD gets hurt) and it tanks your chances, that's a year of everybody's career that you are wasting.

I'm not here to say whether it's a good signing or not, Jets fans don't seem to like it which isn't encouraging. But the Jets also don't have the specific fit that Poolman will fall into.

It sounds like when he played with Morrissey it was on the top pairing, facing the McDavid's and Matthews' of the league. Again, when this season started, he had one full season worth of NHL games.

In this case, we will be putting him with a puck moving fit, and I doubt it will be against top line competition. This means the fit is different.

Will be interested to see how this plays out.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I'm a Jets fan and I think this will be ok for Vancouver. He is a bottom pairing guy who can move up the lineup and not suck too too much. He should not have been playing on the top pairing.

Reactions: DS7 and SiZ

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC

People are applying their anger at losing Tanev to this signing as this could/should have been his money.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Classic HF Canucks. Complain to the 3rd degree about a player before giving him the opportunity to showcase himself.
Some people love misery.

also wallow in misery over a 2.5 million dollar cap hit. I remember the implosion of Pearson signing a contract for 3.2 million

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00