Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Tucker Poolman signs with the Canucks (4 years, $2.5M AAV)

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
GMs want GOOD rhd, not just any random body that is right handed. Last I checked, average to below average RHD are not that hot. We will end up trading this guy away and taking back salary to make it happen.

Tucker Poolman is a random body? Jalen Chatfield is a random rhd, Poolman has a 120 NHL games under his belt.

Reactions: lawrence

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
And he is strictly a 3rd paring, 6/7 guy. Those guys have limited value and at 2.5M x 4, he is way overpaid in both dollars and term.

Forbort was a 6th/7th for Calgary two seasons ago, Chiariot was a depth defenceman for the Jets and found a home in the Habs defence.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Forbort was a 6th/7th for Calgary two seasons ago, Chiariot was a depth defenceman for the Jets and found a home in the Habs defence.
Uhh how is Poolman similar to those guys? Because someone else figured out how to elevate their game therefore Poolman will? Lol
Nevermind the fact that Chiarot has been in the league for way longer than Poolman.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Tucker might work out in Vancouver. He's a good humble kid so I'm happy for him but as a Jets fan... 2.5 seems about 1.5 higher than it should be but then again forbort got 3 million so yeah... gms are dumb

Reactions: DS7

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Maurice had some infatuation with Poolman, playing him most of the time on the top pairing with Morrissey which never worked. He's probably a fine third pairing guy, not good, but ideally a 7. This is a massive overpayment for him, but this year and contracts in general have been crazy - especially for defensemen.

He's never looked good to me when I've watched him play, which is a lot, and the fancy stats seem to agree.

Hope he turns out better than he was for us for the Canucks.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
People are applying their anger at losing Tanev to this signing as this could/should have been his money.
That is the dumbest thing if anyone truly feel like that. Last year the first time in year's if ever Tanev played a whole season. His last season here if it hadn't been postponed would have been done once again for the season and playoffs. It was time to move on from Tanev and I don't see how a contract that is 2 million less signed a year later relates in anyway to Tanev.

Reactions: vcanuck

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
They essentially traded 4 years of the "Woooo get me out of Vancouver for Winnipeg" Schmidt at 5.9mil for depth on the right side with actual true RD.

Poolman @ 2.5mil for 4 years
Hamonic @ 3mil for 2 years
Schenn @ 850k for 2 years

6.35 mil with Poolman having the only "questionable" term.. 3 guys that actually want to be here though... which is a win in my books.

Lets see what Brad Shaw does with the Canucks D this year... one big thing people forget about.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Hottest commodity in the NHL are top 4 RHD, depth dmen are basically role players, and both "long ass terms" were the same as poolman.

I don't hate the contract, I just think it's ridiculous not to see why people do, it's too much by a million and it's a couple of years too long.

Think it'll be fine.

Seems like the kind of guy that gets traded in a few years, along with a pick/prospect, for a better defenseman from a team that's in a downcycle.

48MPHSlapShot

Nov 3, 2018
I think the thing that I hate most about this signing is how it potentially hurts our flexibility down the road. Our right side now has two anchor contracts on it in Poolman and Myers.

Reactions: jetsforever

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
People do realize that there are multiple teams bidding on players… rarely is there ever good $$/term for a UFA under 30

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Classic HF Canucks. Complain to the 3rd degree about a player before giving him the opportunity to showcase himself.
Some people love misery.

Haven't we watched him play? He has been with the jets the past few seasons. Not like he is some new figure nobody has a read on. Posts like these I dont really understand. And people do watch other team's and even speak to fans of other teams.

On a side note, I remember the games i watched, he seemed alright, I recall jets fans say he makes some mistakes, but he looked ok when i seen him at times, his name stood out on the free agent list when i looked a month or so ago as a depth guy, but i would not pay him quite this much or give him this term either.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
We were 6th in GA last year (and only did that well in large part due to Demko's play) and were arguably one of, if not the, worst defensive team in the league. Our defense just lost their 2 best ES defenders in Schmidt and Edler and replaced them with OEL (a player I hope bounces back but who has been atrocious defensively for several years now)...and Poolman lol.

I think one could make a strong case we currently have the worst defense in the league. Demko will stop us from being dead last in GA like he did last season but man it's looking ugly. I don't think we make the playoffs specifically because of the defense. Hope I'm wrong but all signs point to the opposite.

This is sadly correct. I'm praying for Thatcher.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Haven't we watched him play? He has been with the jets the past few seasons. Not like he is some new figure nobody has a read on. Posts like these I dont really understand. And people do watch other team's and even speak to fans of other teams.

On a side note, I remember the games i watched, he seemed alright, I recall jets fans say he makes some mistakes, but he looked ok when i seen him at times, his name stood out on the free agent list when i looked a month or so ago as a depth guy, but i would not pay him quite this much or give him this term either.

Literally every Jets fan in this thread chimed in to say the Canucks will regret this deal. Uhh...that's something.

VintageBure

Jun 7, 2018
I say we watch him play first before going crazy, he clearly had a decent size role in Winnipeg last year and into the playoffs. You gotta wonder why they wouldn’t wanna sign him if they liked his play. Hopefully he can find a home with Hughes, OEL, or Myers ( funny how it’s impossible to tell who the first pairing is gonna be).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad