Confirmed with Link: [VAN/SJ] Canucks acquire 7th in 2015 (210 OA) for D Patrick McNally

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is such a false narrative. It's pretty clear that we couldn't get McNally to sign despite significant effort in the past. Everyone know that.

We drafted a guy who pre-draft stated that his education was his #1 priority, not hockey, causing him to be available as a faller. At the end of the day, his education has been crazy and he's not going to sign with us...so we got whatever we could.

Can't really complain about that.

If they couldn't get McNally to sign, they would have said 'we couldn't get McNally to sign'. There is absolutely no reason to lie about this.

Benning specifically said he wasn't good enough to sign. This was our decision.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
If they couldn't get McNally to sign, they would have said 'we couldn't get McNally to sign'. There is absolutely no reason to lie about this.

Jawline not wide enough.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary

Yeah, they could have said they don't feel McNally is serious about pursuing an NHL career and that his priorities just aren't where they need to be. Which would make him untradeable.

Or he could say he's stuck behind a glut of quality young dmen, and hope to get something back for him in trade.

It never felt like McNally wanted to be a Canuck. Can't say I was surprised when we could never get him to sign with us. Getting a pick out of this scenario is definitely a plus.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Yeah, they could have said they don't feel McNally is serious about pursuing an NHL career and that his priorities just aren't where they need to be. Which would make him untradeable.

You're talking about the same idiot who made it public that he was going to move one of Lack or Markstrom, and subsequently stated Talbot was superior to Lack.

So no, Benning does not strike me as someone with guile and negotiating smarts.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
You're talking about the same idiot who made it public that he was going to move one of Lack or Markstrom, and subsequently stated Talbot was superior to Lack.

So no, Benning does not strike me as someone with guile and negotiating smarts.

Or the same guy that hoodwinked fans and media for a week telling everyone with ears that he "hadn't talked to Bieksa about moving", all the while Bieksa is checking out real estate in San Jose :laugh:

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Jawline not wide enough.

Girlfriend too ugly. Not enough self confidence.

Or he could say he's stuck behind a glut of quality young dmen, and hope to get something back for him in trade.

It never felt like McNally wanted to be a Canuck. Can't say I was surprised when we could never get him to sign with us. Getting a pick out of this scenario is definitely a plus.

How about saying nothing to the media? Or is that too "Mike Gillis"?

Could also say "we would have liked to get him sign, but unfortunately couldn't agree on terms" at which point you can still flip him for the seventh to a team that has interest and wants to close something out rather than court him in free agency.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

McNally's situation isn't some sort of secret. Mentioning it as a reason is not going to make him 'untradeable'.

Benning could not have been clearer here, and you're trying to argue the exact opposite of what he said.

This was, plain as day, our decision based on our evaluation of his abilities. Which may or may not be correct.

If we'd used contract slots on quality prospect FA signings and then recouped a pick by not signing McNally, I'd be ok with that.

Problem is that we've wasted contract spots on junk like Stewart/Labate/Cederholm/Sautner in the last year.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

They could have said that after he was traded.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
This was, plain as day, our decision based on our evaluation of his abilities. Which may or may not be correct.

I think McNally's waffling on becoming a pro hockey player likely played a major role in this evaluation.

The guy didn't seem very interested in being a Canuck, and it had to have an effect on what the organization thought of him.

His abilities would have been a big factor, among these other concerns. In the end, they didn't feel he was worth betting on. Time will tell if it was the right call.

I'm just surprised he squeezed a pick out of all this. That was certainly nice to see.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
McNally's situation isn't some sort of secret. Mentioning it as a reason is not going to make him 'untradeable'.

Benning could not have been clearer here, and you're trying to argue the exact opposite of what he said.

If we'd used contract slots on quality prospect FA signings and then recouped a pick by not signing McNally, I'd be ok with that.

Problem is that we've wasted contract spots on junk like Stewart/Labate/Cederholm/Sautner in the last year.

You're making it sound like McNally's "ability" to play hockey, and his "inclinination" to play hockey aren't closely linked.

If McNally isn't going to be playing Professional hockey this coming season, he's done as a prospect. That's pretty much it, end story. Who is the last guy you can think of to play their very first Pro hockey game @ 25 years of age and go on to an NHL career?

A couple months ago, you were right there heading the charge to explain why a kid who has played so astonishingly few "high level" games at this stage in his development is a marginal at best prospect. And rightly so.

Now that Benning cut him loose AND got a 7th round pick (throwaway) for him...it's some sort of mismanagement based on evaluation of his "abilities"?

I suppose if we consider his "Ability to play Pro hockey this year" a primary trait of evaluation, then yeah...not looking good.

Let's call a spade a spade here...this isn't about McNally's talent...it's flat out, about the lack of desire he's shown to pursue a professional hockey career.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You're making it sound like McNally's "ability" to play hockey, and his "inclinination" to play hockey aren't closely linked.

If McNally isn't going to be playing Professional hockey this coming season, he's done as a prospect. That's pretty much it, end story. Who is the last guy you can think of to play their very first Pro hockey game @ 25 years of age and go on to an NHL career?

A couple months ago, you were right there heading the charge to explain why a kid who has played so astonishingly few "high level" games at this stage in his development is a marginal at best prospect. And rightly so.

Now that Benning cut him loose AND got a 7th round pick (throwaway) for him...it's some sort of mismanagement based on evaluation of his "abilities"?

I suppose if we consider his "Ability to play Pro hockey this year" a primary trait of evaluation, then yeah...not looking good.

Let's call a spade a spade here...this isn't about McNally's talent...it's flat out, about the lack of desire he's shown to pursue a professional hockey career.

You are putting words in my mouth here.

My main point is that - whatever happens - this was clearly our call based on a negative appraisal of his abilities. Full stop, no matter which side of the coin you're on. If he flops for SJ, Benning rightly deserves credit for a good scouting call to recoup a pick.

Having said that, yeah, I would have signed him over guys like Stewart and Sautner.

If we had signed a Reilly and had a pile of obviously better prospects, I'd be on board with this. But after signing worse prospects, it's a bit frustrating.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

Or just said nothing about him, like we can't comment on player negotiations or contracts. MS is completely right, and benning does deserve some credit.

You are putting words in my mouth here.

My main point is that - whatever happens - this was clearly our call based on a negative appraisal of his abilities. Full stop, no matter which side of the coin you're on. If he flops for SJ, Benning rightly deserves credit for a good scouting call to recoup a pick.

Having said that, yeah, I would have signed him over guys like Stewart and Sautner.

If we had signed a Reilly and had a pile of obviously better prospects, I'd be on board with this. But after signing worse prospects, it's a bit frustrating.

You keep putting Sautner in with those other guys, and while I don't believe he is a great prospect, and maybe not even a good one, he is miles better than the other two. I think he is a guy that can play the Pro game, at some level. Where I think the other two will be in tough in the ECHL, and when their contract is up will disappear.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You keep putting Sautner in with those other guys, and while I don't believe he is a great prospect, and maybe not even a good one, he is miles better than the other two. I think he is a guy that can play the Pro game, at some level. Where I think the other two will be in tough in the ECHL, and when their contract is up will disappear.

I've seen him play a lot and had him pegged as a guy headed straight to the ECHL or Canadian university hockey.

Agree he's better than the other guys. But he'll be undersized in pro, average skater, chases the play too much.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I think McNally's waffling on becoming a pro hockey player likely played a major role in this evaluation.

The guy didn't seem very interested in being a Canuck, and it had to have an effect on what the organization thought of him.

His abilities would have been a big factor, among these other concerns. In the end, they didn't feel he was worth betting on. Time will tell if it was the right call.

I'm just surprised he squeezed a pick out of all this. That was certainly nice to see.

Pretty clear hockey isn't in his future.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I think it would be odd if the Sharks hadn't confirmed McNally's intent to sign before making this deal. Usually if there's uncertainty about signing a guy, the pick is conditional unless it's someone particularly sought-after.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
I think it would be odd if the Sharks hadn't confirmed McNally's intent to sign before making this deal. Usually if there's uncertainty about signing a guy, the pick is conditional unless it's someone particularly sought-after.

it was what, the second last pick in the draft? It has essentially no value

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
it was what, the second last pick in the draft? It has essentially no value

Yeah, true, but teams don't usually seem to see it that way, and I don't know that a guy like Wilson who is supposedly a really stingy trade negotiator lets this deal happen without knowing that he can sign him without it being for the good old 'future considerations' or conditional pick. In light of McNally signing so quick, too, I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that they knew they could get it done.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
benning basically said "we dont want him" so yeah. im sure they could have signed him

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I do not understand this move

@SanJoseSharks: #SJSharks acquire defenseman Patrick McNally from Vancouver in exchange for the 210th pick in the 2015 #SharksDraft. http://t.co/5y8Y6wcqvm

I've been "pumping Benning's tires" throughout most of today, but this is one move I do not understand.

McNally had (has?) some decent promise does he not?

Curious as to why Benning gave up on him.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I've been "pumping Benning's tires" throughout most of today, but this is one move I do not understand.

McNally had (has?) some decent promise does he not?

Curious as to why Benning gave up on him.

Thought it was because Benning thought/said McNally was staying in school..no idea.

McNally signs with SJ, so I feel Benning royally screwed this up.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Yeah, true, but teams don't usually seem to see it that way, and I don't know that a guy like Wilson who is supposedly a really stingy trade negotiator lets this deal happen without knowing that he can sign him without it being for the good old 'future considerations' or conditional pick. In light of McNally signing so quick, too, I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that they knew they could get it done.

Or that Vancouver refusing to sign him made him realize he should sign while he can/a team wants to take a chance on him.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Thought it was because Benning thought/said McNally was staying in school..no idea.

McNally signs with SJ, so I feel Benning royally screwed this up.

Meh.

p.s.__________Do you think McNally has a legit shot of being an impactful NHL player? I mean, these are 7th round calibre players that we're talking about right?

Even with Kassian/Prust/5th, I found it surprising that many fans/posters went up in arms when they found out that *we* would be giving up the 5th. A 5th rounder is what? Some dude likely to be in the beer leagues?

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Meh.

p.s.__________Do you think McNally has a legit shot of being an impactful NHL player? I mean, these are 7th round calibre players that we're talking about right?

Even with Kassian/Prust/5th, I found it surprising that many fans/posters went up in arms when they found out that *we* would be giving up the 5th. A 5th rounder is what? Some dude likely to be in the beer leagues?

McNally is a better prospect than the guy we picked with the 7th. Not much more to say. Looks like more poor asset management. Nothing major but it all adds up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad