Confirmed with Link: [VAN/SJ] Canucks acquire 7th in 2015 (210 OA) for D Patrick McNally

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I've been "pumping Benning's tires" throughout most of today, but this is one move I do not understand.

McNally had (has?) some decent promise does he not?

Curious as to why Benning gave up on him.

I think Benning didn't like McNally's "want" level. How bad does.McNally really "want" to be a professional hockey player? I mean it's almost like he's turning pro now just because it's the only place he has left to play. Reports made it sound like he'd have stayed at Harvard if he was eligible (is he actually going to camp?).

At this point I peg his upside as Lee Sweat.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I think Benning didn't like McNally's "want" level. How bad does.McNally really "want" to be a professional hockey player? I mean it's almost like he's turning pro now just because it's the only place he has left to play. Reports made it sound like he'd have stayed at Harvard if he was eligible (is he actually going to camp?).

A 6'2" Lee Sweatt would very possibly be a fairly viable NHLer.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
you peg his upside as lee sweatt because you have literally no idea who mcnally is

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
i peg his pontus macnabb's upside as brendan shanahan. wait, sorry!! haha i got him confused. patrick macnabb, lol. how silly of me

Meh.

p.s.__________Do you think McNally has a legit shot of being an impactful NHL player? I mean, these are 7th round calibre players that we're talking about right?

he was a fourth rounder that got drafted later than he should have because of his harvard aspirations that then exceeded expectation. he's not "7th round calibre"

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
It was an open take home exam that most of his class got reprimanded for. It's not like he stole a test or snuck in a cheat sheet at an exam. To suggest that this one incident is an indicative of his character is out of line.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
you peg his upside as lee sweatt because you have literally no idea who mcnally is

I know who McNally is just as much as you do, superstar. Better than you understand how to use "literally " anyway.

I picked Lee Sweat ws a comparable because I expect McNally to give this pro hockey thing a try for a couple seasons and if things don't go golden, I expect he'll retire and go into business or whatever...much like Lee Sweat did.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I think Benning couldn't understand a young guy with options that would maybe pick something other than hockey. Just because he stopped to consider his choices doesn't mean he can't commit himself 100% to hockey when he decides to follow that path.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I think Benning couldn't understand a young guy with options that would maybe pick something other than hockey. Just because he stopped to consider his choices doesn't mean he can't commit himself 100% to hockey when he decides to follow that path.

True enough. Benning clearly prefers players that have had to over come life obstacles and has no interest in players that take playing hockey for granted. You could say McNally, Kassian and even Kasual Kev at times have that tendency.

Personally I would rather keep a prospect like McNally over a 7th, but I can understand why Benning would prefer to salvage whatever value he could. Linden and Benning, for better or worse, are building a culture centered on compete and desire.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
True enough. Benning clearly prefers players that have had to over come life obstacles and has no interest in players that take playing hockey for granted. You could say McNally, Kassian and even Kasual Kev at times have that tendency.

Personally I would rather keep a prospect like McNally over a 7th, but I can understand why Benning would prefer to salvage whatever value he could. Linden and Benning, for better or worse, are building a culture centered on compete and desire.

Compete and desire didnt exist under the previous regime?

arsmaster*

Tate Olsen was acquired so that there is more excitement for Training Camp being held in PG. I like him but I think McNally is easily the higher upside player

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
McNally is coming off a major injury. He is already 25 and needs significant time in the AHL.

Is this really that big of a deal?

Not really sure at this point in his career he is any better a gamble than an 18 year old 7th round pick.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
McNally is coming off a major injury. He is already 25 and needs significant time in the AHL.

Not really sure at this point in his career he is any better a gamble than an 18 year old 7th round pick.

McNally is 23

arsmaster*

If he was a collegiate free agent he'd be sought after. I understand you like to slough stuff off in hopes of shielding negative sentiment from lindenning. But I think you stopped being objective a long time ago.

McNally is one of the better puck rushing defenders in the NCAA.

I'm not losing sleep over it but it is funny San Jose signed him and it is interesting to me we acquired a PG Cougar with training camp being up there.

Funny you had to make up his age though.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
If he was a collegiate free agent he'd be sought after. I understand you like to slough stuff off in hopes of shielding negative sentiment from lindenning. But I think you stopped being objective a long time ago.

McNally is one of the better puck rushing defenders in the NCAA.

I'm not losing sleep over it but it is funny San Jose signed him and it is interesting to me we acquired a PG Cougar with training camp being up there.

Funny you had to make up his age though.

:amazed: Another June 2014 join date spouting misinformation.

A-Crazy-Random-Happenstance-With-Barney-Stinson-On-How-I-Met-Your-Mother.gif

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
The standard defence right now seems to be to create total false narratives about the Gillis regime and then compare Benning to those.

Its weird.

i mean Gillis ****ed up at the end and I have been critical of him but some of the comments are really bizarre.

I am still awaiting a response.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
having not watched a single minute of McNally play until the last couple games of Harvard's season

the only conclusion you can come up with, is that he's a big enough d-man that plays the left side. and he moves the puck adequately and can join in the rush.

he didn't look bad by any means.

and considering he was coming off a long-term injury, his play did not falter much.

don't know why people fault him so much for wanting to finish his collegiate hockey career.
Without his year of prep school and the disqualified year, he would take just as much time to finish his collegiate career as most other NCAA hockey player.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
By itself, the decision not to sign McNally doesn't bother me that much. The college players ranked around where he is are typically AHLers/fringe NHL players. He's old for a college player and there's a pretty large leap from college to the AHL, let alone NHL.

However, the decision not to sign him when you're signing players like Stewart doesn't make much sense...

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
It's also possible that McNally didn't want to sign for a team where he'd probably end up in the ECHL so guys like Negrin could get more ice time.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Compete and desire didnt exist under the previous regime?

Of course they did, but I don't think you can honestly say it was a high priority for Gillis et al. I mean you can't prioritize everything, and looking at 1st round picks like Hodgson and Schroeder, compete level wasn't their calling cards. Unlike Benning who seems to mention compete level with every signing, and it's a pretty common attribute with his draft picks.

Imo the intangibles Gillis prioritized were versatility and loyalty. If you were a jack of all trades willing to sign within the internal cap structure, you were a Gillis guy. I don't say that as a negative, no disputing Gillis was at the helm for the most successful stretch in franchise history, so clearly he was doing some things right (at least at the beginning ).

The standard defence right now seems to be to create total false narratives about the Gillis regime and then compare Benning to those.

Nope, I didn't even mention Gillis. Further, I was and am pro-Gillis. The endless sagas and lack of graduating prospects during his tenure did get a bit tiresome, but still GMed us to our "golden period" and would have seized the holy grail if not for an insurmountable rash of injuries. I never feel the need to be anti-x just because I'm pro-y. I tend to leave that to you .

Anyways, no interest in a pissing contest over McNally. Gave my take on why Benning would walk away from a PMD prospect with size and skating, especially since GMJB has shown a preference to toolsy dmen. End of the day, we are already facing a crunch of young blueliners in Utica next season. Don't kn9w if there's room for the ones we have, never mind McNally. Benning wants to roll the dice on the prospects that will run through a wall to be a pro. McNally brings an intriguing skill set, no doubt, but I get being doubtful on how dedicated he ultimately is to the game of hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->