Confirmed with Link: [VAN/SJ] Canucks acquire 7th in 2015 (210 OA) for D Patrick McNally

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Like I said, poor decision not to sign him.

But I assumed that bad decision would be the end of things so am mildly pleasantly surprised to see us get something back at least.

Fair enough. Guessing Wilson just didn't want to have a UFA courting process and initiated this, because it's not like Benning was working something behind the scenes. He literally explicitly stated that they weren't signing McNally.

Let's hope instead of a Zetterberg we get a Cam Neely with the 7th rounder!

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
7th round picks are a nice way to secure prospects you want to invite to camp.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Well there goes 4 years of following McNally.

That's one thing I really don't like about NCAA'ers, you can't sign them before they go pro like you can with CHL players.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Really? Unless McNally doesn't want to be signed he should not be traded. I think we should really consider firing Benning now. Poor asset management at best.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Has there ever been a 7th rounder who actually played a game for the Canucks?....nothin' from nothin' still equals nothin'....I thought Bieksa was the d-man going to the Sharks?...oops, forgot....Juice has a NTC, which he apparently waived, but the 'Nucks couldn't close the deal...as Casey Stengel used to say about the New York Mets in the glory days....does anybody around here know how to play this game?:shakehead

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Didn't really seem like McNally was going to sign here. Do we even know if he's going to be playing hockey this year? His appeal to have that extra year of eligibility reinstated was denied, was it not?

If it came down to the idea that he would rather go back to school for this next year even without being eligible to play for Harvard, do you really want to work hard to convince a prospect who seems content to just take a year off from hockey, to sign with your NHL team?

It's been a strange ride with McNally's development. There's always been talent there, but it's never really seemed like Pro Hockey was the biggest goal there. And it seemed to have come to the point where it was the end of the line one way or another. At least this way we get a 7th round pick, for whatever that's worth. :dunno:

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
McNally's potential >>>>>>>>7th rounder.

How can you defend the move by saying with have others with potential. You never know who will develop and you can never have enough potential.

Basically give away McNally b/c we have other defensive prospects ????????????

Nov 1, 2011
McNally's potential >>>>>>>>7th rounder.

How can you defend the move by saying with have others with potential. You never know who will develop and you can never have enough potential.

Basically give away McNally b/c we have other defensive prospects ????????????

This is such a false narrative. It's pretty clear that we couldn't get McNally to sign despite significant effort in the past. Everyone know that.

We drafted a guy who pre-draft stated that his education was his #1 priority, not hockey, causing him to be available as a faller. At the end of the day, his education has been crazy and he's not going to sign with us...so we got whatever we could.

Can't really complain about that.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
if that was clear he would say that. he's clearly just not a fan of mcnally

how the **** can a dirrct quote from benning be a "false narrative" lmfao

Last edited:

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
Chances that McNally ever playing an NHL game is zero. He is almost 24, which means his window of ever becoming an NHLer is only 1-2 years. At 24, he's likely near is ceiling. The 7th rounder gives the Canucks a crack at somebody who will be almost 5-6 years younger who might be a late bloomer. Essentially the Canucks are traded McNally for exclusive rights to 1 of the undrafted free agents. If they are lucky, they find the next Dan Boyle, Jason Garrison or Chris Tanev. The slim chance of that happening is infinitely greater than keeping McNally as a prospect.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
Has there ever been a 7th rounder who actually played a game for the Canucks?....nothin' from nothin' still equals nothin'....I thought Bieksa was the d-man going to the Sharks?...oops, forgot....Juice has a NTC, which he apparently waived, but the 'Nucks couldn't close the deal...as Casey Stengel used to say about the New York Mets in the glory days....does anybody around here know how to play this game?:shakehead

Mario Bliznak, Jason King & Brandon Reid were 7th rounders.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
if that was clear he would say that. he's clearly just not a fan of mcnally

how the **** can a dirrct quote from benning be a "false narrative" lmfao

If he said McNally isn't overly interested in pursuing a hockey career and his true passion is crime fighting or whatnot, think a GM would still give up a draft pick for him? Then you'd all be *****ing about how he torpedoed any salvageable value. Be nice if you anti-Benning could have some consistency on your Benning criticisms. Benning goes black "should have gone white!"; Benning goes white "what kind of idjut goes white, durrr!"

As for McNally, we all realize the kind of focus, dedication and passion it takes to play in the best hockey league in the world. Can anyone honestly say they feel McNally has the required levels at this point? If not, be happy we got anything.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
The Canucks made an attempt to sign McNally when he was suspended. When he decided that he'd rather spend a year practicing with high school players to maintain his college eligibility, that was the end of this story. If he doesn't sign with the Sharks and turn pro, he'll lose another year. Maybe he'll be able to exploit some connection and sign with a European team, or maybe China. Where's 701 to give us the inside dirt?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
As for McNally, we all realize the kind of focus, dedication and passion it takes to play in the best hockey league in the world. Can anyone honestly say they feel McNally has the required levels at this point? If not, be happy we got anything.

Exactly.

McNally has always had a lot of "talent". But that's not really enough. And there's a pretty tall heap of evidence in the decisions he's made over the years which seem to indicate he just may not have that focus, dedication, and passion it takes in addition to the skill.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
The Canucks made an attempt to sign McNally when he was suspended. When he decided that he'd rather spend a year practicing with high school players to maintain his college eligibility, that was the end of this story.

Yeah, I think this sums up the situation pretty succinctly.

Getting a pick out of this situation is a bonus, because it doesn't appear McNally had much interest in being a Canuck.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
Hansen was a 9th, probably a better example than those 3 lol

Hansen was a steal.

Reid was a tweener. Too talented for the AHL, too small for the NHL.

King couldn't get his head right, but figuratively for his decision not to resign with the Canucks and head to Europe and literally for the concussion that he never fully recovered from.

Bliznak had the potential to be a serviceable 3rd/4th line center, but he wanted to play in Europe for more $$ than he would have been paid for another year or two in the AHL while he tried to crack the Canucks lineup.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
There was a lot of questions about what McNally wanted to do, but if we've learned anything from Benning it's when he says something he means it and in this case he specifically said he wasn't interested in signing McNally.

So from the McNally end for what he actually wants to do concerning his hockey career, we'll know soon enough if he signs with San Jose and shows up at camp, then see how he does in the AHL. If he looks like a good prospect there then yeah it's a dumb move by Benning.

We don't have room to develop him in the system so we dump him for a draft pick, doesn't that sound familiar... oh right that's what the situation the Islanders had with Pedan, except they bounced him around the ECHL and we gave up a 3rd rounder for him.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
McNally is a non issue, he's not likely to be PK subban, so good riddance. I'll take the 7th and be done with it.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
We don't have room to develop him in the system so we dump him for a draft pick, doesn't that sound familiar... oh right that's what the situation the Islanders had with Pedan, except they bounced him around the ECHL and we gave up a 3rd rounder for him.

Pedan played a total of seven games in the ECHL, in two separate post-injury conditioning stints. Both were in Stockton. For some this means Benning gave up a third for an ECHLer. Or Pedan "bounced around" the ECHL. Slightly odd.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Pedan played a total of seven games in the ECHL, in two separate post-injury conditioning stints. Both were in Stockton. For some this means Benning gave up a third for an ECHLer. Or Pedan "bounced around" the ECHL. Slightly odd.

I didn't say Benning gave up a 3rd for an ECHL'er, I said Benning gave up a 3rd for a guy that was so far down his teams depth chart that he got time in the ECHL. Even if it was an injury conditioning stint, those typically happen when they're a teams depth player that aren't needed right away.

But regardless that wasn't my point. Pedan was a guy the Isles didn't need because of their defensive depth on their farm. McNally is a guy Benning decided we didn't need because of defensive depth on our farm. Just makes a nice contrasting example of the lack of value 'nice guy' Jim Benning gets between players he's shipping out vs players he acquires.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I didn't say Benning gave up a 3rd for an ECHL'er, I said Benning gave up a 3rd for a guy that was so far down his teams depth chart that he got time in the ECHL. Even if it was an injury conditioning stint, those typically happen when they're a teams depth player that aren't needed right away.

But regardless that wasn't my point. Pedan was a guy the Isles didn't need because of their defensive depth on their farm. McNally is a guy Benning decided we didn't need because of defensive depth on our farm. Just makes a nice contrasting example of the lack of value 'nice guy' Jim Benning gets between players he's shipping out vs players he acquires.

The contrast is exaggerated by your reference to Pedan as having been "bounced around the ECHL." 7 games. Two conditioning stints.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary

I think it shows the contrast between a good drafting team and Mike Gillis.

Let's not forget the Islanders also traded a guy slipping on their defensive depth chart for Matthew Barzal and Anthony Beauvillier too. Just a little nugget I thought you would want thrown in there.

The Pedan trade looks outstanding at this point. If you want to make Benning look bad, never bring up Pedan...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad