Confirmed with Link: [VAN/PIT] Pedan and 2018 4th round pick for Derrick Pouliot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the Canucks have acquired defenceman Derrick Pouliot from the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for defenceman Andrey Pedan and a fourth round selection in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft.

Pouliot, 23, split the 2016.17 season between the Pittsburgh Penguins (11 regular season games) and the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (7-16-23 in 47 games). The 6-0, 208-pound defenceman has appeared in 67 NHL games, registering 14 points (2-12-14) and 10 penalty minutes. He has also played three seasons for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, accumulating 70 points (20-50-70) in 114 games. He earned back-to-back AHL All-Star Game selections in 2014.15 and 2015.16.

Prior to making his professional debut in 2014, Pouliot played four seasons with the Portland Winterhawks helping the team capture the WHL championship in 2013 where he registered 20 points (4-16-20) in 21 playoff games. In 2013.14, he was named the CHL Defenseman of the Year and recorded the most assists (27) and second-most points (32) in the WHL playoffs while serving as the alternate captain.

A native of Estevan, Saskatchewan, Pouliot was selected by Pittsburgh in the first round, eighth overall, at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.

Last edited:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I hate giving picks, but this trade is not awful right?

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Not bad, worth the reclaimation project. Pedan is not much more than a #3/4 defender in the AHL based on his play, 4th rounder worth it based on what Pouliot could be

Zero issue with this even if it doesn't work out

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Pouliot is 23 years old (24 in January) and not waiver-exempt. He couldn't cement himself on the Pens blueline the past few years despite being given a few chances. Not a fan of giving up a 4th round pick for him. :ha:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
The only asset in this trade is the 4th round pick. Both of these players are waiver wire trash

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Benning gives up random draft pick(s) for former high pick turned reclamation project part XII

Could've had him for free on waivers if we'd waited a bit, but hey, who needs those silly draft picks anyway?

Reactions: LaVar and Nuckles

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Pittsburgh knows how to develop players and they are moving on from Pouliot. That's not a good sign. AHL numbers have been uninspiring and NHL play nothing to write home about (i.e. he has not shown himself to be a NHL player).

I pretty much consider it a nothing player for nothing player trade though Pouliot is the superior AHL player. Is a 4th round pick necessary to get that superior AHL guy? And what is it about giving up picks all the time?

Penguins fans seem very happy to get a 4th for Pouliot.

Reactions: Nuckles

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
More age-gap trades for busted prospects that Jimbo really liked when they were 18.

Pouliot sucks. Pittsburgh desperately wanted him to crack their crap blueline and he just couldn't do it.

Waste of a pick and a downgrade on Biega if we end up sending Biega to the AHL because of this, which would absolutely suck. This player would have been on waivers in a few days.

Pedan ... who cares.

Reactions: timw33
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad