Confirmed with Link: [VAN/PIT] Pedan and 2018 4th round pick for Derrick Pouliot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
GREAT trade. Pouliot will turn it around just you wait. We wouldn't have gotten him off waivers because we are not first on the list and he would get claimed already. We can easily recoup that pick by trading Biega or Gudbranson for a lot more. Love it.

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
It's a pretty low percentage chance that a 4th round pick becomes an impact NHL player, so Benning didn't give up too much to get Pouliot.

But on the other hand you guys are re-building, so why not stock pile draft picks and hope for the best?

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Indeed. Like, is Pouliot such an upgrade on Wiercioch that it merits spending a draft pick? And I say this as someone who was very high on Pouliot as a prospect.
I for one would say yes. But I suspect I'm in the minority. Pouliot has done a lot at the AHL level, has offensive upside. Who knows, he could still develop in to a legit ppq.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
It's debatable that Pouliot is a better NHL player or event AHL player than Wiercioch at this point. But claims that Jordan Subban is in any way a superior player are just woefully inaccurate.

Master Radishes

Nov 29, 2011
Vintage 'change of scenery' trade. The pick is only a 4th, at least.

I've disliked Benning since nearly day one, but his body of work this summer is fine by me. At the very least it indicates, on the whole, that he recognises we're not competitors this year, and he's going for low-cost, low-risk, moderate-reward moves.

I'm still in favour of getting rid of Jimbo sooner rather than later, but I don't hate his moves this year so far.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
My issue here is that Benning is developing a tendency to change his mind about players and ship them out while bleeding for another player.

Forsling for Clendening
Decides he likes Sutter enough to toss Bonino and Clendening in the Sutter trade.

3rd + Mallet for Pedan
Pedan + 4th for Pouliot

If he hadn't given up picks for Pedan and Pouliot just now I'd be perfectly fine with it.

Your issue is misplaced.

I don't think he's changing his mind about players after he acquires them, he is scouting them incorrectly. He has time and time again acquired high-pedigree (ie, drafted high) players and paid a price that is less than their draft position due to the player trending downward since that scouting evaluation. This is not about Benning changing his mind, this is about the exact opposite in that he is sticking to his evaluations that are out-of-date and irrelevant.

The one exception was Bonino, which was a bit of a special situation because they didn't have a choice other than do a deal with Anaheim. Of course, that trade featured another player in Sbisa that fit all this criteria as well.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I mean if Pittsburgh put him on waivers wouldn't we have 2nd crack at him after Colorado?

We wouldn't have gotten him off waivers because we are not first on the list and he would get claimed already.

I think we're at the top of the list now. Colorado claimed Nemeth and Vegas is put 3rd (now 2nd) until the season starts.

Edit: Nevermind, I must be thinking of a rule in my fantasy league or something. :laugh: Regardless, only Colorado is ahead of us.

Last edited:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Im ok with this,,gives us more mobility on the back end.
Pouliot was one,, people on here where saying we should try and get,if i remember corecct.,,has he been that bad that the pens gave up on him..
Pouliot definitely would be a good prospect and a reasonable target like 3 years ago

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
GREAT trade. Pouliot will turn it around just you wait. We wouldn't have gotten him off waivers because we are not first on the list and he would get claimed already. We can easily recoup that pick by trading Biega or Gudbranson for a lot more. Love it.

Or we could keep our 4th round pick AND acquire more picks. A strange concept I know but teams are actually allowed to enter the draft with more than 7 picks.

Master Radishes

Nov 29, 2011
Genuine question: has anyone actually watched Pouliot at the NHL level enough to understand why he hasn't succeeded so far?

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
I don't mind Pouliot for Pedan but I was really hoping we'd passed the point of throwing in picks.

See, it’s a 4th round pick. I am also in the camp of don’t throw away picks to compete now, we need to rebuild, but a 4th round pick has a very low chance of working out. I think it’s worth it to move a pick that like for a guy like Pouliot. Has had some NHL time, produced at the AHL level, just hasn’t put it all together. Green did well with Bartschi, I’m willing to give this a try. A 2nd for Linden Vey is a bad trade from the start, but the difference between a 2nd and a 4th is huge. I think this one is worth the risk on a 23 year old defender. I will agree that I don't want to see this as a trend, I think we are at a point where we shouldn't take on more reclaimation projects

Pedan to me is just us moving a contract slot

Reactions: Ozone

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Remember when Willie wanted Linden Vey because he put up 116 points and dominated in Junior.

Junior hockey & the AHL is not the NHL, I don't know why our GM keep letting coaches push for trades of players they used to coach.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Yeah not seeing the need to jump the waiver line with a 4th rounder to grab a player at this stage of his career, would have been a nice gamble off a claim.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
It's a pretty low percentage chance that a 4th round pick becomes an impact NHL player, so Benning didn't give up too much to get Pouliot.

But on the other hand you guys are re-building, so why not stock pile draft picks and hope for the best?

That's always been a source of confusion here, especially with Benning being a professed draft lover/expert. I believe the count is Benning traded away more draft picks in his first two years here than Gillis did in his entire 6 years as GM.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Well... on one note; the Canucks were really close to trading Kesler for a pouloit package ...but then again it’s not like the trade they did worked out anyway

CRDragon

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Dec 2, 2006
Vancouver
Edler
Tanev
Hutton
Stecher
MDZ
Gud
Biega

are all better than Pouliot 100%. Wiercioch and Holm may or may not be better I'm not sure. Regardless, Pouliot was most likely going to end up on waivers either today or at some point this season. It's not even like he was stuck behind some amazingly deep defense either.

Pouliot has a much higher ceiling than Biega.
And aren't we all shtting on Gudbranson already?

Pouliot has the opportunity here.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Well, at least it wasn't a 2nd.

I'm not sure about the player as I don't know much about him.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
I'm sure everyone remembers how the entire Internet was shitting all over Olli Matta during the Pens run last season? Pouliot and Matta are both lefties, and he still didn't get a sniff all playoffs?

I've disliked Benning since nearly day one, but his body of work this summer is fine by me. At the very least it indicates, on the whole, that he recognises we're not competitors this year, and he's going for low-cost, low-risk, moderate-reward moves.

That's fine, it's good to do that, but it's not a low-risk move to give up a 4th round pick. We should be hoarding picks. "Low-cost low-risk" for this team should mean waiver acquisitions.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Pouliot has a much higher ceiling than Biega.
And aren't we all shtting on Gudbranson already?

Pouliot has the opportunity here.
Pouliot has upside in the same way that Reid Boucher has upside. It's only said because they're youngish.

Reactions: MS

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI
No, he doesn't. He's right around the same level as Wiercioch or Subban, maybe even a bit behind. It's really not worth the risk in this case when we already have other depth defenseman at his level or better than him. He maybe becomes our 10th best defenseman, possibly slightly ahead of Pedan, but either way definitely not worth a 4th round pick.

How could he be behind Subban, he has better numbers and can play some D

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
That's always been a source of confusion here, especially with Benning being a professed draft lover/expert. I believe the count is Benning traded away more draft picks in his first two years here than Gillis did in his entire 6 years as GM.

As explained by several posters on here - it's simple, Benning works better when he has fewer draft picks as it allows him to focus more. Eventually, he will trade away all our picks except one and draft a supestar with that pick.

Master Radishes

Nov 29, 2011
That's fine, it's good to do that, but it's not a low-risk move to give up a 4th round pick. We should be hoarding picks. "Low-cost low-risk" for this team should mean waiver acquisitions.
I don't disagree with the strategy of hoarding picks by any means. But that said, I'm in the camp that doesn't value 4th-7th round picks very highly. Having given away a 4th, I'd want to hold on to the other late round picks now, but I'm not going to get worked up over losing a low-value pick. (And, statistically, 4th rd picks are indeed low value, as the odds of it becoming an NHLer are low.)

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It is all happening again..... It is all happening again.
Worth the risk. Does he not instantly become the 7th or 8th best defenseman in the organization?
Probably not.

1. Tanev
2. Edler
3. Stecher
4. Del Zotto
5. Hutton
6. Biega
7. Gudbranson
8. Weircoch (sp?)
9. Pouliot

He's basically in exactly the same position Pedan was in, but is likely an upgrade on him.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Edler
Tanev
Hutton
Stecher
MDZ
Gud
Biega

are all better than Pouliot 100%. Wiercioch and Holm may or may not be better I'm not sure. Regardless, Pouliot was most likely going to end up on waivers either today or at some point this season. It's not even like he was stuck behind some amazingly deep defense either.

While Biega might be the better defenseman at this stage, he has reached his ceiling. I also think Biega is a moveable asset. He can be sent down without a big risk of getting claimed. I would be surprised if Pouliot is placed on waivers at any point this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad