Confirmed with Link: [VAN/PIT] Pedan and 2018 4th round pick for Derrick Pouliot

Status
Not open for further replies.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Would be a great AHL defenseman but he has to go through waivers. Spending a 4th round pick on a minor league defenseman is so stupid though. At least Pedan could punch faces.

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
What's the point of this? He won't crack the top 6.

I always did like Pouliot, but I don't get this move......Benning gonna Benning

Reactions: Nuckles

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Benning hitting all of his requisites for this trade.

Trading a draft pick - Check
Acquiring a player that has ties to the coach - Check
Acquiring a high-pedigree player that he likely extensively scouted at his previous regime - Check
Waiting until that player has busted out to acquire him, so in his mind he's getting value - Check

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
Don't get giving away more picks. Subban could out produce Pouliot or about even at the AHL level, we already have this in the organization. But now we pay a 4th and he has to stay on the roster....

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
My issue here is that Benning is developing a tendency to change his mind about players and ship them out while bleeding for another player.

Forsling for Clendening
Decides he likes Sutter enough to toss Bonino and Clendening in the Sutter trade.

3rd + Mallet for Pedan
Pedan + 4th for Pouliot

If he hadn't given up picks for Pedan and Pouliot just now I'd be perfectly fine with it.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Worth the risk. Does he not instantly become the 7th or 8th best defenseman in the organization?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Chad Ruhwedel
Justin Schultz
Ian Cole
Olli Maata
Brian Dumoulin
Ron Hainsey
Brian Streit
Kris Letang

he COULDNT beat out any of these guys to get a roster spot.

Hopefully he sees something that a stanley cup winner didn't see.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Apparently we are putting Wiercioch on waivers to be assigned to Utica. I kind of liked his play in the preseason, so this is still a head scratcher for me.

Well it's not like Wiercoch is a NHL D-man either. They are pretty much the same level of player so ya I'm confused as well. Even more confused that he's being pencilled into the Game 1 lineup.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Im ok with this,,gives us more mobility on the back end.
Pouliot was one,, people on here where saying we should try and get,if i remember corecct.,,has he been that bad that the pens gave up on him..

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Well it's not like Wiercoch is a NHL D-man either. They are pretty much the same level of player so ya I'm confused as well. Even more confused that he's being pencilled into the Game 1 lineup.

Indeed. Like, is Pouliot such an upgrade on Wiercioch that it merits spending a draft pick? And I say this as someone who was very high on Pouliot as a prospect.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Worth the risk. Does he not instantly become the 7th or 8th best defenseman in the organization?

No, he doesn't. He's right around the same level as Wiercioch or Subban, maybe even a bit behind. It's really not worth the risk in this case when we already have other depth defenseman at his level or better than him. He maybe becomes our 10th best defenseman, possibly slightly ahead of Pedan, but either way definitely not worth a 4th round pick.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Edler
Tanev
Hutton
Stecher
MDZ
Gud
Biega

are all better than Pouliot 100%. Wiercioch and Holm may or may not be better I'm not sure. Regardless, Pouliot was most likely going to end up on waivers either today or at some point this season. It's not even like he was stuck behind some amazingly deep defense either.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Pouliot's a guy worth trying when you're already in the basement. You can haggle over picks, and chances are it will fail, but why not when a guy has his ability. Nothing lost waiving Weircioch.

Duckhugs

Apr 11, 2016
I'm gonna wait before I get mad about it... this could be something maybe the kid just needed a change of environment?
I have hope he can turn it around here and plus I didn't see anything in Pedan anyways...

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I mean if Pittsburgh put him on waivers wouldn't we have 2nd crack at him after Colorado? I wouldn't blink if another team had made this trade but considering Benning's track record here... after a pretty good off season it just seems like more of the usual from the last few years.

Throwback

Sep 12, 2014
I guess Green really wanted him in the lineup. I can't see it any other way since both are pressbox guys at best.

Was Adam Clendening not available this year?

Yeah, this reeks of that trade.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Some say this is the deepest draft since 2003? Some say could be even deeper?

... and a high 4th pissed away... for a player that had difficulty becoming a NHL player, on a team that really wanted him to make it, and now needs to pass through waivers, and therefore, makes the Canucks by default.

I guess it's decent for Benning's standards... but by any other standard... unnecessary and a waste. Clendening v2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad