Confirmed with Link: [VAN/PIT] Pedan and 2018 4th round pick for Derrick Pouliot

Status
Not open for further replies.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Aren't we at the top of the waiver wire order anyways now? We could have just waited a few days. We basically paid a 4th round pick to get this guy an extra practice or two.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Probably not.

1. Tanev
2. Edler
3. Stecher
4. Del Zotto
5. Hutton
6. Biega
7. Gudbranson
8. Weircoch (sp?)
9. Pouliot

He's basically in exactly the same position Pedan was in, but is likely an upgrade on him.
Weircioch v Pouliot is debatable.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Remember when Willie wanted Linden Vey because he put up 116 points and dominated in Junior.

Junior hockey & the AHL is not the NHL, I don't know why our GM keep letting coaches push for trades of players they used to coach.

I don't think it's fair to jump to this sort of conclusion yet with Green. Yes it's what Willie did, but Willie was legendarily bad for this sort of thing. Green only did a short stint in the CHL shortly following his NHL playing days, 2 years as an assistant and 1 year as head coach before moving on to Utica. But Desjardin made his career there, spending 9 seasons in CHL and 8 of them with Medicine Hat.

While Green was probably asked for some input it's much more likely that this is one of those trades of a guy Benning/Weisbrod liked on draft day with their former teams. In 2012 Pouliot went 8th to Pittsburgh, while Calgary drafted 14th and Boston 24th.

J Canuck

Mar 19, 2013
the couch
Would have been cool with this a couple years ago when Pouliot was looking like less of a bust. Now he needs to clear waivers if he can't hold the roster spot. We should be near first in line for waiver pickups and could have possibly had him for free very shortly. Pedan and Gudbranson are our big d-men and I'd rather have traded Gudbranson and kept Pedan, assuming Gud nets a fair return in trade.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Benning loves former 1st round picks
Baertschi
Suter
Sbisa
Etem
Pouliot
Goldobin
Burmistrov
Del Zotto
Gudbranson

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
How could he be behind Subban, he has better numbers and can play some D
Slightly better numbers (AHL total) while being 2 years older and that's with Subban having a better year last season. Neither can play much defense if memory serves about Pouliot.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Well we know that Subban cannot?

We didn't just trade a 4th round pick for him, and unlike Pouliot we can actually send Subban to the AHL. And I never said he was behind Subban, I said they were close. He is behind Wiercioch however who has shown much more at the NHL level despite also being a pretty bad player.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Sure, you can debate the pick here but maybe letting Pedan go elsewhere was part of that karma stuff, where he just didn't feel comfortable in Utica anymore and would've become disgruntled? Beats me. If Wiercioch is sent down and Biega/Pouliot stay, the organization values Pouliot at lowest as our 8th D, maybe 7th, with room to improve. Subban is hearing his clock ticking too, it's now or never for him too. If Pouliot outplays him, we either ship him out or convert him to FWD.

Not mad about this. Pouliot could become a Clendening, Vey or a Granlund. Let's roll those dic-- actually, they're already in the air so we'll see soon enough.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Holy overreaction on these boards...That said,I see Greens fingerprints on this one...Looks like a reclamation project who has stalled in his development.....,but hey,if anybody can fix broken players..it is Green.

I get the aversion to throwing away picks,but if they can get this guy going they would easily be able to flip him for more than a 4th down the road.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Your issue is misplaced.

I don't think he's changing his mind about players after he acquires them, he is scouting them incorrectly. He has time and time again acquired high-pedigree (ie, drafted high) players and paid a price that is less than their draft position due to the player trending downward since that scouting evaluation. This is not about Benning changing his mind, this is about the exact opposite in that he is sticking to his evaluations that are out-of-date and irrelevant.

The one exception was Bonino, which was a bit of a special situation because they didn't have a choice other than do a deal with Anaheim. Of course, that trade featured another player in Sbisa that fit all this criteria as well.

I don't think my issue is misplaced simply because what you've said just expands on it. The fact of the matter is Benning changes his mind fairly often regarding assets he acquired through trade(Bonino, Clendening) or via drafting them(McCann, Forsling).

Whether it's his poor/outdated scouting evaluations or his desire for a new toy he continues to cough up extra assets after he spent assets on that player he moves out and assets we could have used.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i am assuming they were not happy with weircioch or pedan as their backup left side guy.

pouliot is still only 23. paying a 4th for his services is not crazy.

the canucks waived pedan. i thought they were done with him last year. for all we know they may have been showcasing all preseason hoping to unload the salary.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
Im 100% ok with this trade as long as we recoup that pick or better by moving Vanek or Weircoch (sp) or guys like that.

I'll be honest when I got the notification on my phone I thought it was going to be a 1st or 2nd + knowing Benning. But I like this trade a lot.

Reactions: Tv9924

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Remember when Willie wanted Linden Vey because he put up 116 points and dominated in Junior.

Junior hockey & the AHL is not the NHL, I don't know why our GM keep letting coaches push for trades of players they used to coach.
Maybe its because the coach had something to do with resuscitating the careers of Jake Virtanen and Sven Baertschi from nowheresville..?

Reactions: Uhmkay and Seatoo

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
If I look at this trade from Pittsburgh's perspective, it's a great trade for them. Trade away an expiring prospect for a downgraded expired prospect-- get a free fourth round pick in a really deep draft.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Was Jim Benning a dumpster diver in a previous life? The guy spends more assets picking through other teams' garbage than any GM i've ever seen.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
So Pouliot has potential still but Shinkaruk at 8 months younger is a bust?

I do enjoy this board flip flopping every time Benning makes a new trade.

shinkaruk, like goldobin, is a top 6 or ahl player.

is pouliot busted to the point of not being a bottom 6 dman? that is still a useful asset.

it will be interesting to see if pedan can catch on with the pens. the change of scenery here works both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad