Confirmed with Link: [VAN/PIT] Canucks Acquire Mark Friedman (RD) & Ty Glover (FW) for Jack Rathbone (LD) & Karel Plasek (FW)

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Maybe a bit of Keith Ballard or Andrew Ferrence in his game? Undersized guys who stuck their nose in the dirty areas and pissed off the opposition. You need these grubby types that will show up and give it 100% on the road in pinch situation. I like some of these new guys for attitude alone. Joshua last year, Lafferty, Blueger, Cole, Soucy. This team isn’t tough but it’s greasier. Harder to play against. Maybe Elliotte’s cousin can add to that.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I remember watching Friedman when he stepped in to the playoffs for the Pens and thinking wow who is this guy

Reactions: Lindgren

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
That penalty thing isn’t insignificant if he can keep it up here. Cole, Soucy, Myers are penalty prone

Reactions: HairyKneel

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Rathbone is such an interesting lesson. The first time I saw him I was sure we had a home run. His skating looked sublime and he was a legit sniper. He even destroyed the AHL that one year. I just figured he would get the rest of his game up to a passable level at some point. I hope he finds a groove in Pitt.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sorry to see Rathbone go.....but the reality is, he's buried in Vancouver's system and after training camp, the Canucks probably concluded that he was never going to be able to help them on the left side.

His shot and offensive instincts are NHL-ready, but his play in his own zone has always been a misadventure. Although there were signs of some improvement. He'll get a shot with the Pens, which i good for him.

Looking at the rest of the players, in a year's time the only guy left standing will probably be Ty Glover, who has one year left on his ELC. As for the others, I doubt they get qualified or re-signed.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Another case where we hold onto a prospect for so long that he has next to no value. Should have dealt Rathbone when we got Hughes as there's no place for two small offensive dmen on the left side. At one point, we could have got a 2nd or 3rd for Rathbone as he was fairly highly regarded.

Reactions: VanillaCoke and m9

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
Pretty happy with this deal. More so happy we got out of the first three games with a winning record with half an NHL blue line, luckily.

Adding a 6-7 is not insignificant (if that’s what he is). In theory, I would push back a bit on a Peeke trade now unless you are 100% he can partner Hughes or Cole.

They should really be looking for a rental like Tanev. I know there’s been murmurs of calgary looking to extend him, but if those talks don’t go anywhere soon, I’m sure he’s going to be on the market.
I’d like Mario Ferraro but he’s probably going to be expensive

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think it wasn't until I saw Rathbone play live in Abbotsford a few times in 2021-22 that I realized he wasn't a real prospect. His points were "AHL defenseman" points to me meaning it was stuff that wouldn't translate to the NHL like where he was pinching or jumping up in the rush and you just don't see it all that much when you get a level up.

I didn't notice his defensive issues as much in the AHL, but I thought he was really bad there in the NHL in his opportunities. Just seemed to not really know what to do or where to go.

Maybe he figures things out in Pittsburgh, but I think he profiles more as a long-term AHL defenseman who gets a couple call-ups per year.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Hardly a hot take, but the secrecy around injuries is so frustrating. It's the first week of the season and nobody can even actually say what an 8th defenseman in Brisebois' injury is? Seems obvious it's a concussion, but can't we just say that?

Allvin didn't say it directly, but you can expect Hirose sent down later tonight and Friedman officially called back up. I think they like Friedman as the 7th defenseman, I don't think he'll be sent down anytime soon. I know the $ part was brought up earlier in this thread but by sending Hirose down they'll save a fair bit of real money as Hirose is only 350k in the AHL vs what Rathbone was making.

Reactions: Vector

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
this video is hilarious and now i'm excited to see him play, especially if they can get him in tonight's lineup

He must be an agitator because most of this is just him getting his ass kicked by the Flyers lol

• Haha
Reactions: David71

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Plasek for Glover is a European signing for a college signing, both 23 years old. Friedman for Rathbone shuffles the deck on depth D with guys who cleared waivers.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Not knowing anything about Friedman, is he just another Burroughs? Sounds like it from the reports.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
friedman is okay. he'll probably stick all season as the 7th defender which saves them having hirose or mcward in the press box when they should be getting games in abby

also glad we never have to discuss rathbone ever again

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
rathbone was very logjammed here and was not going to get any minutes or leeway playing behind hughes.

not happy with the modest return. seems like we sold low, but perhaps there never was a market for rathbone.

also, enough with the penguins and swedes. this is ridunculous and seriously calls into question whether the gm is relying too hard on his own pro-scouting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad