Confirmed with Link: [VAN/PIT] Canucks Acquire Mark Friedman (RD) & Ty Glover (FW) for Jack Rathbone (LD) & Karel Plasek (FW)

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Maybe a bit of Keith Ballard or Andrew Ferrence in his game? Undersized guys who stuck their nose in the dirty areas and pissed off the opposition. You need these grubby types that will show up and give it 100% on the road in pinch situation. I like some of these new guys for attitude alone. Joshua last year, Lafferty, Blueger, Cole, Soucy. This team isn’t tough but it’s greasier. Harder to play against. Maybe Elliotte’s cousin can add to that.
Ballard also spent a bunch of time pissing me off as well.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Really a nothing deal imo.....The Canucks get some right side defensive depth, but unless Hockey DB has it wrong Friedman is 5'11, 185, and brings next to nothing to table in terms of offense. I guess he gave the Pens some decent minutes, but frankly I'd rather see someone like Wolanin up here in a 7th d-man role.

The other guy Ty Glover has some size, but is realistically just depth for Abbotsford. He hasn't come near the 10-goal mark either in the NCAA or his one season in the AHL.

I think this trade was as much to getting Akito Hirose more valuable minutes in Abbotsford. As it stood, Rathbone was in a top-four role and got tons of PP time. That will now go to Hirose.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Makes sense to me.

Obviously Rathbone had no future here and was really just taking up space that'd be better used on players with some potential utility in the Canucks system. Seemed like he saw that as well and wanted out anyway.

So swapping him for a guy in Friedman who should at least be a potential NHL upgrade over Juulsen's useless self, seems like a reasonable return i suppose.

It's just a bit weird to me, when there were better defencemen available on waivers that they didn't (or i guess couldn't?) take a shot on. :dunno:

I guess Friedman's our guy. He's a former Penguin, so that tracks.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Makes sense to me.

Obviously Rathbone had no future here and was really just taking up space that'd be better used on players with some potential utility in the Canucks system. Seemed like he saw that as well and wanted out anyway.

So swapping him for a guy in Friedman who should at least be a potential NHL upgrade over Juulsen's useless self, seems like a reasonable return i suppose.

It's just a bit weird to me, when there were better defencemen available on waivers that they didn't (or i guess couldn't?) take a shot on. :dunno:

I guess Friedman's our guy. He's a former Penguin, so that tracks.

Friedman himself was on waivers. Part of this was moving out Rathbone's contract which paid him very well in the AHL.

Reactions: Vector

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Friedman himself was on waivers. Part of this was moving out Rathbone's contract which paid him very well in the AHL.

Yeah. There's obviously an element of contract and money movement involved. Especially with us taking back a completely useless, wasted contract slot in the process.

I just think it's interesting that this is a factor at all. Moving contracts and money over getting the potentially better actual players.

But it's also possible that they do just really like Friedman. And have some familiarity there i guess.

Reactions: Vector

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
Yeah. There's obviously an element of contract and money movement involved. Especially with us taking back a completely useless, wasted contract slot in the process.

I just think it's interesting that this is a factor at all. Moving contracts and money over getting the potentially better actual players.

But it's also possible that they do just really like Friedman. And have some familiarity there i guess.
Be sure to check out that video someone posted above. He clearly knows how to piss people off. Unfortunately/amusingly it was his former team. I like that he can get under people's skin, I do not like that his former teammates seem to hate him.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
We get an actual NHL defender (even if he’s only a 6/7) who’s probably an immediate upgrade on Juulsen in exchange for a player with no future here and was blocking ice time in Abby from Hirose who has an NHL brain and likely an NHL future. Tidy piece of business to bolster the defensive depth without giving up anything of real value to the team.

I had high hopes for Boner but he just never seemed to rise to the occasion or play with enough stiffness. Hopefully he can turn it around with the Penis organization.

Last edited:
Reactions: biturbo19

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Not knowing anything about Friedman, is he just another Burroughs? Sounds like it from the reports.

I really liked Burroughs when he was here and what he brought. Knew his role, played hard and stuck up for his teammates. Happy he got the deal with SJ

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I'm sure the Canucks liked Glover as otherwise there's really no reason to include Glover/Plasek in the deal.. but I think the focus was more about finding Rathbone a new home, Canucks getting a depth RH d-man, and then from the Pens' side cleaning up that AHL vet problem. Glover probably down the list from there.

It does make me wonder if whatever they were trying to do for a different RHD fell through.. especially with Dhaliwal mentioning Bear again.

There's no way a 23 y/o in the ECHL with 2 years of cap slot remaining was anything other than a negative value asset. The deal was essentially getting the 'better' defenseman in exchange for taking the 'worse' dead contract slot (2 years vs. 1 year for Plasek).

As for the second point, yeah. Looks like they might have pivoted away from a CBJ deal to go with a smaller trade and will then look at bringing Bear back.

Ya I was wondering about the Glover vs Plasek swap. There does seem to be some potential with his size and speed.

Friedman should be an upgrade over Juulsen . Is he better than some of the past waiver wire options like JBD?

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad